Apple launches Apple Card monthly installments for iPads, Macs & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Apple has officially launched new options for interest-free Apple Card financing on more of its products, including Macs, iPads and various accessories like the Apple Pencil and AirPods.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Apple Card financing option first launched in December 2019, though it only applied to purchases of iPhones at the time.

Now, Apple customers will be able to purchase Macs, iPads, AirPods, Apple Pencils and other products on an interest-free monthly installment plan when using the Apple Card at checkout. Current Apple Card holders won't need to fill out any additional applications since the plans are available as a baked-in feature.

Financing options vary by device, with more expensive products available on 12-month financing plan options. Customers can buy cheaper products -- like AirPods or Apple TV models -- on a 6-month 0% interest plan. The company is also letting users buy "bundles" of products and related accessories on a longer installment plan. An iPad Pro with Apple Pencil purchase, for example, is available on a 12-month plan despite the Apple Pencil.

Essentially, the plans cover most current Apple hardware, including accessory devices like the Pro Display XDR. However, there are still two notable holdouts that aren't available on a monthly installment plan: the Apple Watch and iPod touch.

Apple CEO Tim Cook first announced that Apple Card Monthly installments were coming during its April 30 earnings call. In June, a report suggested that the rollout of the additional product support was imminent.

The Apple Card feature also nets users 3% daily cash back, and all purchases are managed through the Wallet app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    This is gonna be huge
    flyingdp
  • Reply 2 of 9
    tobiwantobiwan Posts: 73member
    Does Apple ever have any sale prices?  You can find items cheaper elsewhere and use cards with more cash back.  

For example just bought 2 sets of AirPod pros for $220 each with $22 for AppleCare from Costco with 5% CB. 
    cornchipflyingdp
  • Reply 3 of 9
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    My Costco only pays 2% cash back. Items above $1,000 need 24 month interest free loans.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    My Costco only pays 2% cash back. Items above $1,000 need 24 month interest free loans.
    Yeah, this. For an expensive Mac, 24 months interest-free would have hit my mark.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    tobiwan said:
    Does Apple ever have any sale prices?  You can find items cheaper elsewhere and use cards with more cash back.  

For example just bought 2 sets of AirPod pros for $220 each with $22 for AppleCare from Costco with 5% CB. 
    I rarely buy stuff directly from Apple - B&H’s PayBoo card means as a California resident II save around 8% and sales elsewhere are also meaningful. If I buy Apple products online from Apple or at an Apple store  I know I’ll be paying top dollar.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tobiwan said:

Not really, they do standard stuff like Black Friday but don’t really run sales directly. I believe that whenever they want to clear product they end up using places like Costco or sell for cheap to big box stores and let them do the sales. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    What's weird is that Apple is offering this alongside the BarclaysCard product which they've had for years. And that card still is offering 18 months same-as-cash for purchases over $999. So for a typical Mac purchase, it may make more sense to do the Barclayscard, at least for as long as Apple is still offering it. Of course, the Apple Card does give you 3% back on every purchase and better integrates to your iPhone's Wallet feature.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Wish this was available in Oz.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    entropys said:
    Wish this was available in Oz.
    wish I was in Oz  :)