A custom USB-C cable can jailbreak the T2 chip in a MacBook Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
The security researchers that found a vulnerability in Apple's T2 chip have developed an exploit using a clone of an internal debugging cable that can hack a Mac without user action.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Earlier in October, the checkra1n team developed the unfixable vulnerability that essentially allows an attacker to jailbreak the T2 security chip in a Mac. Once they do, all types of malicious attacks can be carried out on an affected macOS device.

Now, the team has demoed a real-world attack that takes advantage of a technique similar to one leveraged by specialized USB-C cables used internally by Apple for debugging.

As depicted in a YouTube video, and accompanying blog post, the exploit causes a machine to shut down once the cable is plugged in. From there, it's placed into DFU mode and checkra1n is run to achieve a root SSH session. A second video posted to the team's YouTube account showed that the attack was successfully carried out by modifying the Apple logo at boot.

The attack is carried out by software reverse engineered from specialized debug probes, which are used by Apple and known under internal code names such as "Kong," "Kanzi," or "Chimp." These cables work by allowing access to special debug pins within a USB port for the CPU and other chips.

These "Chimp" or "Kanzi" cables have leaked from Cupertino and Apple retail in the past. Security researcher Ramtin Amin created an effective clone of the cable, dubbed a "Bonobo" and used in the video. Combined with the checkra1n team's exploits, it allows for this type of attack to be carried out.

Although the video demonstration shows them modifying the Apple logo, the team notes that the same exploit can be used to replace a device's EFI and upload a keylogger. That's possible because a mobile Mac's keyboard is connected directly to the T2 chip.

The proof-of-concept exploit was disclosed by checkra1n security researchers Rick Mark, Mrarm, Aun-Ali Zaidi, and h0m3us3r. The team also announced that a version of the cable will soon be available for sale.

Who's at risk, and how to protect yourself

As noted earlier, these specialized debug cables can sometimes be found in the wild. With a commercial clone soon to be available, there's a good chance that most Mac models on the market with a T2 chip could be vulnerable.

Of course, the attack requires direct physical access to a Mac, which rules out most types of scenarios for the average user.

However, users who may find themselves targeted by nation-states or cybercriminals should ensure that they have keep their Mac safe by maintaining physical security of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Solely physical security means no security for any mobile devices, period.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 945member
    I try and stay off nation states raider as a matter of principle so I expect my kitchenware browsing history is safe. 
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,572member
    Link to the source in case anyone doesn't know where to find it:
    https://blog.t8012.dev/plug-n-pwn/
    forgot username
  • Reply 4 of 21
    JFC_PA said:
    I try and stay off nation states raider as a matter of principle so I expect my kitchenware browsing history is safe. 
    Terrible way to live "I don't have much to worry about, because I have nothing to hide!" We must fight for our freedoms as every government tries to impede on those in the name of National Security or more recently the Trump admin's DOJ - child exploitation.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I'm pretty sure that when people "jailbreak" their iPhones, the changes persist after a reboot.  As the original article pointed out, the T2 cannot be updated--everything on the chip is read only.  So it's not accurate to say that the T2 can be jailbroken.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I'm pretty sure that when people "jailbreak" their iPhones, the changes persist after a reboot.  As the original article pointed out, the T2 cannot be updated--everything on the chip is read only.  So it's not accurate to say that the T2 can be jailbroken.
    You are incorrect - the only known, modern jailbreak is lost when the device is rebooted, and not connected to a Mac/PC.  The vulnerability in the T2 chip is the same as on the iPhone models that are vulnerable to the current/modern jailbreak.
    forgot username
  • Reply 7 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JFC_PA said:
    Terrible way to live "I don't have much to worry about, because I have nothing to hide!" We must fight for our freedoms as every government tries to impede on those in the name of National Security or more recently the Trump admin's DOJ - child exploitation.
    Ever hear of the school of fish theory? The sharks, the barracudas, the predators are out there and there is no protection from them. The only possible protection is in numbers.  Stay in the school and maybe the predators won’t find you. Maybe you’ll be lucky. That’s all you can hope for. So it’s NOT a terrible way to live at all. It’s the only sane way to keep from dying of anxiety. “Fight for out freedoms”? We lost that battle decades ago. Where have you been?
    dewmeGabypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is yet another apocalyptic scenario hyped by “security” researches. How may times have we heard the “this cannot be patched or fixed” mantra from these guys. This will fade away just like all the others, after tech blogs get tired of their gloom and doom hype. Of course there all sorts of tools in the hacker’s toolbox so drop the thinking that somehow, someway, your data will ever be secure in the digital world. 
    edited October 2020 mwhitepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    No persistence means little to worry about. Also requires connection before the Mac starts up (at the login screen as shown in the video). You can't just plug this cable into any Mac and hack the T2 (say while someone steps away from their Mac for a minute).
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    lkrupp said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Ever hear of the school of fish theory? The sharks, the barracudas, the predators are out there and there is no protection from them. The only possible protection is in numbers.  Stay in the school and maybe the predators won’t find you. Maybe you’ll be lucky. That’s all you can hope for. So it’s NOT a terrible way to live at all. It’s the only sane way to keep from dying of anxiety. “Fight for out freedoms”? We lost that battle decades ago. Where have you been?
    The woild west worked like that until some bright spark thought of hiring a sheriff and deputies and built a jail.  Not a perfect solution and no modern-day comparisons intended but pointing out fish can fight back when the fish are more intelligent than the sharks.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Wow that’s a serious security risk.
    Even though it requires physical access, it shouldn’t be possible to crack a computer’s chip focused on security so easily. 

Time for T3?
  • Reply 12 of 21
    No persistence means little to worry about. Also requires connection before the Mac starts up (at the login screen as shown in the video). You can't just plug this cable into any Mac and hack the T2 (say while someone steps away from their Mac for a minute).
    Well, what about turning off the person’s Mac and seeing it reboot automatically?
    Or are you saying user authentication is required as well?  
  • Reply 13 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member
    lkrupp said:
    This is yet another apocalyptic scenario hyped by “security” researches. How may times have we heard the “this cannot be patched or fixed” mantra from these guys. This will fade away just like all the others, after tech blogs get tired of their gloom and doom hype. Of course there all sorts of tools in the hacker’s toolbox so drop the thinking that somehow, someway, your data will ever be secure in the digital world. 
    Yeah, as you mentioned, everything involves risks and no system is perfect. It's a constant struggle on both sides, those that wish to protect and those that wish to exploit. This particular vulnerability reinforces the need for those involved in design-fo-security (DfS) efforts at the design and testing level to consider ALL ingress, access, and emissions mechanisms of a system, and all system modalities, not just the sanctioned ones that the user interaction model provides for "nomral" or "on the happy path" end-users and remote services to gain access the system. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    This is not exactly what Apple promised when they heavily promoted the T2 chip, is it? Thus far the T2 has caused only problems on my computers. I have to turn it off or disable several of its features to simply boot from an external drive or debug certain projects. It appears that new Apple Silicon Macs will lose the ability to boot another operating system entirely which is a huge loss of functionality. After all the headaches, we find that the T2 chip had an un-patchable backdoor put in by Apple itself making me wonder what the point was in the first place? Was the T2 just a way for users to feel secure while proving governments with a secret way into any device?
    elijahgforgot usernameviclauyyc
  • Reply 15 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    I recall years ago reading articles about Americans traveling to China, leaving their laptops in their hotel rooms only to realize that at one point, someone entered and installed spyware on their laptop or attempted to remove information from it.

Ever since knowing that, I've always wondered that whatever Apple does in terms of data security, would it be enough to leave a laptop in a hotel in China and see if the Chinese government can hack it.

Guess the possibility is still there??
    razorpitviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,822member
    I'm so glad my 2019 iMac was an anomaly and missed out on the T2 chip. Seems to be nothing but trouble.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Too much efforts to steal passwords via a keylogger, placing a spy-cam is much easier. Do security-sensitive guys still type passwords? Touch ID is everywhere...
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    This is not exactly what Apple promised when they heavily promoted the T2 chip, is it? Thus far the T2 has caused only problems on my computers. I have to turn it off or disable several of its features to simply boot from an external drive or debug certain projects. It appears that new Apple Silicon Macs will lose the ability to boot another operating system entirely which is a huge loss of functionality. After all the headaches, we find that the T2 chip had an un-patchable backdoor put in by Apple itself making me wonder what the point was in the first place? Was the T2 just a way for users to feel secure while proving governments with a secret way into any device?
    Unadulterated bullshit, as usual. There are no Apple-sanctioned government back doors. You just made that up. Cook has been very clear on this topic. 

The continual axe grinding is predicable and rather boring. No one cares if you don’t like Apple stuff. 
    edited October 2020 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    elijahg said:
    I'm so glad my 2019 iMac was an anomaly and missed out on the T2 chip. Seems to be nothing but trouble.
    Wonder if my 2016 MBP with the T1 is susceptible to these same breeches? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    razorpit said:
    elijahg said:
    Wonder if my 2016 MBP with the T1 is susceptible to these same breeches? 
    Yes.