Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 141 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    This is 8 bucks on Amazon. In fact, why don't knock yourself out, and buy three for 13 bucks:

Given that those adaptors were made for plugging into an iDevice then I'd be wary of buying them to use plugging into headphones.  There's a reason Apple had to release a new bi-directional Lightning to 3.5mm jack.
    watto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 142 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    This is 8 bucks on Amazon. In fact, why don't knock yourself out, and buy three for 13 bucks:

Given that those adaptors were made for plugging into an iDevice then I'd be wary of buying them to use plugging into headphones.  There's a reason Apple had to release a new bi-directional Lightning to 3.5mm jack.
    Maybe, or it could simply be a different product with a longer cable, the male 3.5mm plug, and possibly a better DAC to go with these headphones. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if one used this $8 adapter from Apple with a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable without issue on a plane.
    anantksundaramsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 143 of 250
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mike1 said:
    urahara said:
     Lightning connector - why???

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their house on the streets or for jogging.

I was waiting for Apple to release this headphones.
    But because of the lightning connector and price difference I would go with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.
    Because there are perhaps over a billion more iPhones/iPads in the world than Macs ever made.

You misunderstand my argument. It’s not about what is more in the world. It’s about who most likely will buy it. Those who have iPhone 4 and Lightning cable won’t most likely buy it. Even though they have lightning cable. 
    But people who has Apple devices with USB-C are more likely to buy Apples headphones which cost that much. 
    Why? Because they have been already spending relatively high amount on Apple products. And it would have been more convenient for such a person to have a UAB-C on these headphones. And, of course, on an iPhone as well. But this move sadly shows that Apple has unfortunately decided to continue using Lighning connector. 
    It’s just convenient when I can charge with one cable any device I need to. And my choice lies on USB-C. 
    GG1
  • Reply 144 of 250
    Pro musician/audio guy here - we are so far from the target market, it's comical to see anyone suggest that the pro market would be interested.

Pretty sure any pros I know will stick with their AT50x or 7506s or Beyers.

Fretting over the 1/8 jack at this point? Man I get it. Every headphone extension cable sucks and I don't want a stupid 1.2m white cable dangling to my knee on stage the same way I don't want 3 stupid ass adapters hanging out of my iPad or Mac on stage. Looks like just as much of a disaster there as it does in a board room, but *no one seems to care*

Oh, and just to throw a wrench in the L/R debate. In pro audio, Right is Red, Left usually blue or white. Good luck have fun!
    edited December 2020 williamlondonSpamSandwichrandominternetpersonuraharaMplsPfirelockphilboogiedewmechemengin1spheric
  • Reply 145 of 250
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    sevenfeet said:

Apple is selling a Lightening-to-3.5mm adaptor for this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 146 of 250
    karmadave said:
    If Apple had prices these out of the gate, at $349, they would be a run away hit. At $549, they will sell only to the most devoted Apple enthusiast. Also, as others have pointed out these would be great for airline travel which ain't happening much right now...
    Maybe they're initially selling at $549 because the Apple is supply constrained? If you try to order a pair right now and depending on the color you choose, there's up to a three month wait.  Shipping times are into February now.
    ronnphilboogieRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 147 of 250
    iMi said:
    If these were priced more competitively against the likes of the excellent Sony WH-1000XM4, I would have already placed an order but I think Apple has missed the mark on the retail price. They should have been $349-$399 at most. Sure, some Apple products seem to cost a lot more than competition, but once you really look at the specs and compare hardware/software, the cost is more than justified. This does not seem to be the case here. 
    Don't agree

ronnanantksundaramroundaboutnowRayz2016watto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 148 of 250
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Pro musician/audio guy here - we are so far from the target market, it's comical to see anyone suggest that the pro market would be interested.

Pretty sure any pros I know will stick with their AT50x or 7506s or Beyers.

Fretting over the 1/8 jack at this point? Man I get it. Every headphone extension cable sucks and I don't want a stupid 1.2m white cable dangling to my knee on stage the same way I don't want 3 stupid ass adapters hanging out of my iPad or Mac on stage. Looks like just as much of a disaster there as it does in a board room, but *no one seems to care*

Oh, and just to throw a wrench in the L/R debate. In pro audio, Right is Red, Left usually blue or white. Good luck have fun!
    I completely agree. I have a bunch of friends in the music industry and I don't see any of them using these. They'll stick to V-Moda or the others you mentioned. The price of these new headphones is kind of high. I'm interested in hearing how they sound, but think I'll stick with my V-Moda M-200's. 
  • Reply 149 of 250
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    iMi said:
    If these were priced more competitively against the likes of the excellent Sony WH-1000XM4, I would have already placed an order but I think Apple has missed the mark on the retail price. They should have been $349-$399 at most. Sure, some Apple products seem to cost a lot more than competition, but once you really look at the specs and compare hardware/software, the cost is more than justified. This does not seem to be the case here. 
    Don't agree

And the average person who likes over the ear headphones who may have a beats solo 2 - WHY spend so much more money on this?? Sure, it has all the cool tech specs. BUT really. Is this meant for... Who? Professionals who use wired? At this price point please tell me who this is for. Actually I really want to know WHO is buying this besides a professional in the audio industry and someone who has enough disposable income to do so. 
  • Reply 150 of 250
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    sevenfeet said:

I am not sure I get what you are saying? These headphones can be used with a 3.5mm to lightning cord if you want to use them with an IOS device without a headphone jack. They should also be able to be used with standard 3.5mm ( male to male ) aux cable for devices with a proper headphone jack as well. If you can plug a 3.5 mm cable into one of the cans and then into a lightning port I don't see why a regular old aux cable wouldn't work as well. Maybe someone here knows better?

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 151 of 250

avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:

They are the wrong way round to use these new headphones in a plane
    I am guessing that a vast majority of people have (many) 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cords sitting around all over the house, given for how many decades it has been around. And, if they don't have them lying around, they are ridiculously cheap to buy.
    ronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 152 of 250
    HiramAbif said:
    From Apple's website - "Charges with a Lightning connector"... 🤦‍♂️
    Don’t worry... they will add wireless charging next year with version 2.0. Then the year after that a better wireless charging. And then 2.1 will add different colors and a better processing chip!

Hard pass. For that price, I’ll stick to Sony.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 153 of 250
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Some people have commented that the high price would be acceptable to professionals, but I don’t see APMs as good for professional work—even if connected by wire instead of Bluetooth—due to the computation in between the raw signal and the output. These are leisure headphones.
    randominternetpersondewmespheric
  • Reply 154 of 250
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:

They are the wrong way round to use these new headphones in a plane
    I am guessing that a vast majority of people have (many) 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cords sitting around all over the house, given for how many decades it has been around. And, if they don't have them lying around, they are ridiculously cheap to buy.
    Does the APM storage “case’ have a place for cables?
  • Reply 155 of 250
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I knew the non-pros would come rushing to complain about price. Reminds me of the Twitter journalists complaining about Mac Pro prices.

Disappointed Apple didn't use their auto-orientation feature.

tundraboy said:
    sdw2001 said:
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    Dude, please try reading the article. It has multiple mics.  And I'm pretty sure people can figure out what L and R mean.  🙄
    Dude, it's illegal to sell products in some countries that are English Only, regardless of whether they can figure it out.
    And also despite being the most successful tech company in the world, Apple is too stupid to figure that out, eh?

99% of headphone companies engrave their products with "L" and "R" letters. Funny how something that was NEVER a problem suddenly becomes "Stupid Apple!!" when Apple does it.

mike1 said:
    crowley said:
    The Smart Case looks... unusual.

Like a purse?

That's what I thought.

I'm ready to see all the iKnockoff morons complain about the designs and featrures before the Samsungs of the world copy it and then they'll say "but that's where the industry was heading!" and my favorite "Well, how else is a headphone and headphone case supposed to look!!" -AvonB
    williamlondonrandominternetpersonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 156 of 250
    Haha! Haha! 
  • Reply 157 of 250
    crowley said:
    Oof, that's one hell of a pricetag.
    Is this about the Max or the original AirPods, cuz those didn’t do well, did they.
    ronnmike1sphericwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 158 of 250

crowley said:
    The Smart Case looks... unusual.
    Lemme guess. You’re a guy?
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 159 of 250

saarek said:
    Yeah, good luck with that. I can buy a pair of Bowers & Wilkins PX7’s for £289 right now, they were down as low as £220 in October (an absolute steal at that price), no way would I pay twice that for these.
    Weren’t around for the original AirPods, were you. 
    ronnmike1sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 160 of 250
    urahara said:
    mike1 said:
    urahara said:
     Lightning connector - why???

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their house on the streets or for jogging.

I was waiting for Apple to release this headphones.
    But because of the lightning connector and price difference I would go with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.
    Because there are perhaps over a billion more iPhones/iPads in the world than Macs ever made.

You misunderstand my argument. It’s not about what is more in the world. It’s about who most likely will buy it. Those who have iPhone 4 and Lightning cable won’t most likely buy it. Even though they have lightning cable. 
    But people who has Apple devices with USB-C are more likely to buy Apples headphones which cost that much. 
    Why? Because they have been already spending relatively high amount on Apple products. And it would have been more convenient for such a person to have a UAB-C on these headphones. And, of course, on an iPhone as well. But this move sadly shows that Apple has unfortunately decided to continue using Lighning connector. 
    It’s just convenient when I can charge with one cable any device I need to. And my choice lies on USB-C. 

You’ll be plugging the included cable into what?  
    ronnmike1watto_cobra