The Powerbook 17"

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    C|Net also has a review on the 17" PB:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0....html?tag=plug
  • Reply 122 of 166
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Just a 7.4? They're biased any way. They're being paid off by their advertisers.

Nearly every page has an ad for Dell. How can you write fair, objective articles about products when you're receiving ad revenue from the companies that make the very products you're reviewing?
  • Reply 123 of 166
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yeah, I think the review was a little questionable. But where else do you expect them to get ad revenue? Most major PC companies do banner ads with them.
  • Reply 124 of 166
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    What kind of review is this?

"We can't deny that this is a rock star's notebook, what with its hot, new design; standard, built-in DVD burning and wireless networking; and awesome backlit keyboard. But the $3,299 17-inch PowerBook performs about the same as its 15-inch predecessor, and it's extremely awkward to carry. If you want an attractive, not-very-portable Mac with a 17-inch LCD and a DVD burner, an iMac is more than $1,000 cheaper."

Hence the major difference between the 15" and 17" but yet it is STILL portable unlike an iMac.
  • Reply 125 of 166
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Well, The review is right in that the 17 is not much faster than the 15"Ti (if it is any faster at all). infact the Ti may have a better video card.

The PC world is so obsessed with processor speed they do not get that processor speed is just a part of the picture.

I would not expect a PC reviewer to understand why I sold a gigahertz Ti to buy a computer that is not any faster at about a thousand dollar loss.

\
  • Reply 126 of 166
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Oh, and another thing I'm sick of (while I'm at it) -- people not being able to verbally construct large numbers. I'm sick of people saying "and" before the DECIMAL POINT. It is just three thousand two hundred ninety-nine. No "ands" about it.

Huh? That's the correct way to pronounce the number here.

£124 - One hundred and twenty four pounds.

£1502 - One thousand, five hundred and two pounds.

The 'and' goes between the hundreds and the tens, not before the decimal point:

£150.99 - One hundred and fifty pounds, ninety-nine [pence]

Is it different in America or something?

Amorya
  • Reply 127 of 166
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I guess it is. I was taught in grade school to pronounce, say 134.29, as one hundred thirty four and twenty nine (hundredths or cents or whatever).

Wow, never fail to learn something new...

anyway
  • Reply 128 of 166
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I learned to prounounce $119 as "a hundred and nineteen dollars," but $119.50 as "a hundred nineteen dollars and fifty cents." I've also heard "a hundred and nineteen dollars and fifty cents," although the first and tends to be pronounced "n" in this case.

"One nineteen fifty" is not uncommon, either, at least in speech.
  • Reply 129 of 166
    dirksdirks Posts: 16member
    This is not the first time that I come across some English lessons on AI (I'm Dutch). I like this, also funny, in a way!!

I hope ' PB 17"' is still OK to use, or should I write okay?

BTW, are there any good pic's of PB 17" that you folks have seen?

DirkS
  • Reply 130 of 166
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Amorya

It must be different here in the states. I was always taught the "and" could not be used between whole numbers; it's only supposed to used to indicate a fractional number AFTER a whole number. The word "and" being the separator between whole numbers and fractions. For example, 114.25 would be "one-hundred fourteen and twenty-five one-hundredths." It kind of makes sense because if you had 114.25 of something, you would might also say you had "one-hundred fourteen and a quarter." It would not make sense to say I had "one-hundred and fourteen one quarter." That's kind of akward if you ask me.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    Careful guys!

The forum nazis will close this thread if we get off topic!

SOOOO, how about that 17 inch Powerbook, eh?

(sweat, sweat)
  • Reply 132 of 166
    i've had my pb 17 for over three weeks now and its performing perfectly. Its been handling all of my video/dvd production requirements, virtual pc needs and developement chores. A pleasure to use. Friends who come over are amazed ('pc' friends) at how beautiful "a" machine can be. They always comment on the mini-me yo commerical. That was a great marketing tactic on apples part!!

otherwise.. no problems... no compliaints.. only kudos to apple for creating this machine for us!!

bm
  • Reply 133 of 166
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BostonMerlin

i've had my pb 17 for over three weeks now and its performing perfectly. Its been handling all of my video/dvd production requirements, virtual pc needs and developement chores. A pleasure to use. Friends who come over are amazed ('pc' friends) at how beautiful "a" machine can be. They always comment on the mini-me yo commerical. That was a great marketing tactic on apples part!!

otherwise.. no problems... no compliaints.. only kudos to apple for creating this machine for us!!

bm

I'm looking forward to getting mine. I ordered on Feb. 6th. Last week I phoned Apple and they said May 15th. Today I got mail saying that it has shipped. Delivery hopefully before the week-end.
  • Reply 134 of 166
    tboxmantboxman Posts: 72member
    Lapzilla has been nothing but a headache for me. I had to return my first unit because the screen was defective (about 800 pixels stuck green). This second one crashes and has been having problems with the window server (not a Windows file server - part of the OS). I've had to reinstall the OS, but it has still been flakey.

Last night I ran Apple Hardware Test and found out the RAM is bad. I'm calling Apple again now.

TBoxman
  • Reply 135 of 166
    catalystcatalyst Posts: 226member
    There's nothing wrong with your RAM; it's the test. No kidding! Read this on MacNN forums and Apple's own discussion forums.
  • Reply 136 of 166
    they have 75 17s left at creative computer in santa monica. I think i am going to cancil my order and go get one. Might cost me $70.00 though\
  • Reply 137 of 166
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    "Apple may achieve exceptionally high gross margins on the PB-17, as the OEM price is reported to be around $1,500, with retail prices set at $3,299." (from Insanely Great Mac)

WOW!
  • Reply 138 of 166
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    where did you get this?
  • Reply 139 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

where did you get this?

What?
  • Reply 140 of 166
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I think he means this:

"Apple may achieve exceptionally high gross margins on the PB-17, as the OEM price is reported to be around $1,500, with retail prices set at $3,299."

It's from this article at IGM.