Ship blocking Suez Canal will snarl constrained chip, electronics industries

Posted:
in General Discussion
A large container ship blocking the Suez Canal will exacerbate existing issues in the global supply chain, including delaying shipments of electronic components and devices for weeks to come -- with that best case assuming it gets dislodged quickly.

Credit: BBC
Credit: BBC

The Ever Given, one of the world's largest shipping vessels, ran aground in the Suez Canal on Wednesday. The vessel, wedged sideways and blocking one of the world's busiest trade routes, has already caused a logjam consisting of hundreds of ships, and wider ramifications for navigation spreading much farther away. Although authorities are working to dislodge the ship within a few days, even a short logjam can have an impact on the global supply chain, CNBC reported Thursday.

Some of the immediate effects will include higher gas prices and extended shipping delays for most consumer products, including everything from furniture to electronics, logistics experts said.

The impact of the logjam is already being felt in "just-in-time" shipping chains. Other supply-side delays will be dependent on how quickly the ship can be dislodged. If the Ever Given remains stuck for a week or more, it will snarl shipping routes and add at least 10 extra shipping days just accounting for increased navigation time around Africa. Even if it's refloated more quickly, consumers will still feel the effects.

'A perfect storm' for the chip industry

About 12% of total global trade moves through the Suez Canal. And while most consumer products shipped to the U.S. reach the West Coast from Asia, rerouted traffic will congest ports that are already experiencing delays and backlogs due to the coronavirus pandemic and a surge in demand for consumer electronics.

It's hard to put a specific number on the delays that will impact the global electronics industry, which is currently suffering a severe chip shortage. But The Wall Street Journal reports that the blockage is only the latest in a series of problematic events for the semiconductor industry.

Most chipmakers ship their time-sensitive materials by air, so it isn't clear how much the assemblers will be impacted. Because of that, the Suez Canal incident is more likely to "affect the finished goods than the chip manufacturers themselves," Gartner Research analyst Alan Priestley told The Wall Street Journal.

Although the chip industry is used to rises and falls in demand, recent months have seen the market plagued by exaggerated effects that it isn't used to. One chip industry insider called the blockage and recent supply issues a "perfect storm." Many in the chip industry are monitoring the blockage for potential effects.

The cost could be passed to consumers

While authorities could refloat the vessel by the end of Thursday, some believe that's too optimistic of a timeline. Even then, waiting vessels won't immediately be able to move through the canal. Inspections of the trade route, as well as speed limits, will slow down a return to normal traffic. That's all assuming that the Ever Given hasn't suffered damage that would require it to be towed out of the canal slowly.

The longer the delay, the higher the price that could eventually be passed down to consumers.

"There are millions of dollars of commodities in the other ships, and if it is not cleared quickly then they will look to take other routes, meaning longer time, more fuel and more costs that could eventually be seen passed down to consumers," said marine cargo attorney Ian Woods.

Compared to other device makers, Apple has not been as affected by the global chip shortage. Additionally, it doesn't ship much via freight for mailed deliveries to customers after new launches. However, the company has seen supply issues in the past related to freight logjams, since it does periodically supply store stock by container vessel while simultaneously fulfilling customer orders by air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    "Ever Given"?

My eyes see "Evergreen".

ETA: I stand corrected. Thanks guys.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 2 of 75
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    bsimpsen said:
    "Ever Given"?

My eyes see "Evergreen".
    Evergreen is the name of the shipping company that leases the ship. The vessel itself is called Ever Given. There's also an Ever Gentle, an Ever Gleamy, an Ever Genius … you get the gist. 

If you look at the small print at the end of the ship, I think it says "Ever Given".
    edited March 2021 bsimpsenmuthuk_vanalingamapplguy
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    bsimpsen said:
    "Ever Given"?

My eyes see "Evergreen".
    22july2013 is correct.

Shipping lines have big branding for the owning company on the port and starboard. The name of the vessel is often very small on the stern centerline, or not visible at all.
    bsimpsenBeatsCloudTalkinFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 75
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is how successful a supply chain could lead the world to. 
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Interesting. Seems like a coupla tugboats could free it, but what do Editorbs know.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Interesting. Seems like a coupla tugboats could free it, but what do Editorbs know.
    The Suez doesn't tow vessels from the shore within its confines. It's looking like there was an engineering casualty that locked the rudder, driving the vessel into the sidewall at transit speed. So, the bow dome is buried pretty deep in the sand at the edge of the canal.

200,000 metric tons plus doesn't stop on a dime, and that's a lot of force behind it, even at just a few knots. And, in that stretch of the canal, there isn't a good way to unload the vessel.
    edited March 2021 CloudTalkinking editor the grateStrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 75
    When I read this article a couple of days ago, there were already half a dozen tugboats on the job.  

Also, "Ever Gleamy"?  Who thought that was a good name?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    My suggestion is to use land-based pulleys to rotate the ship around its center both working in unison, not tugs. Rough sketch... Image from the Dail Mail.  I added the green.

edited March 2021 pulseimagescornchip
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Here's a bit from the WaPo article about this today:

A team from Boskalis, a Dutch firm specialized in salvaging, arrived at the canal Thursday, although one of its top officials warned removing the vessel could take “days to weeks.”

A team from the Boskalis subsidiary SMIT “spent the day doing inspections and doing calculations to assess the state of the vessel and a plan on how to refloat the vessel,” spokesman Martijn Schuttevaer told the AP. He did not offer a time frame.

The Suez Canal Authority said one idea the team discussed was scraping the bottom of the canal around the ship.

Boskalis chairman Peter Berdowski on Wednesday described the ship as “a very heavy whale on the beach.”

“The ship, with the weight it now has, can’t really be pulled free. You can forget it,” he told the Dutch current affairs program “Nieuwsuur.”
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 75
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    The Suez doesn't tow vessels from the shore within its confines. It's looking like there was an engineering casualty that locked the rudder, driving the vessel into the sidewall at transit speed. So, the bow dome is buried pretty deep in the sand at the edge of the canal.

200,000 metric tons plus doesn't stop on a dime, and that's a lot of force behind it, even at just a few knots. And, in that stretch of the canal, there isn't a good way to unload the vessel.
    Based on photos in a WSJ article today it seems they’ve already excavated around the bow dome.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    cg27 said:

Based on photos in a WSJ article today it seems they’ve already excavated around the bow dome.
    I've seen the pics. They've got a ways to go, still.
  • Reply 12 of 75

MacPro said:
    My suggestion is to use land-based pulleys to rotate the ship around its center both working in unison, not tugs. Rough sketch... Image from the Dail Mail.  I added the green.

There's no infrastructure to support the pulleys. And, it's all sand.
    fastasleeppulseimagesStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 75

MacPro said:

Where there's a will there's a way.  They've built entire cities in the sand in the Middle East.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 14 of 75
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    cg27 said:

I've seen the pics. They've got a ways to go, still.
    Agree, I checked the pics again, it’s only around the top that they’ve excavated, lots more to do below.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    MacPro said:

MacPro said:

Where there's a will there's a way.  They've built entire cities in the sand in the Middle East.
    Agreed, but it didn't happen in a month.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 75
    MacPro said:

MacPro said:

Agreed, but it didn't happen in a month.
    The mechanical advantage that a land-based pulley system would have over tugs would be massive.  A fleet of land-moving trucks with pulleys could pull more with their brakes on in sand than tugs in water. I am being flippant, but concrete can be poured quite quickly into big holes.  Not to mention the angle the tugs have to pull at is incorrect for the desired turning moment.  The original Daily Mail diagram is wrong, my green addition is the most efficient angle to pull at.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 17 of 75
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    This problem can be solved by Apple.

(This is a joke can be understand only if you audibly speak those words.)
    Beatsbikerdude
  • Reply 18 of 75
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    cg27 said:
    Mike Wuerthele said:I've seen the pics. They've got a ways to go, still.
    Agree, I checked the pics again, it’s only around the top that they’ve excavated, lots more to do below.
    And if you look at the waterline the bow is lifted and the stern is down. That's going to take a huge amount of effort to shift.

I have to wonder if the ship is going to be seaworthy after that kind of stress!
  • Reply 19 of 75
    mknelson said:
    cg27 said:
    Mike Wuerthele said:I've seen the pics. They've got a ways to go, still.
    And if you look at the waterline the bow is lifted and the stern is down. That's going to take a huge amount of effort to shift.

I have to wonder if the ship is going to be seaworthy after that kind of stress!
      What this is costing world trade I could well imagine they are prepping planes with bunker-busters!  (I kid, I know there are homes close by).
  • Reply 20 of 75
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    MacPro said:

That's like saying all we need to go to Mars is a rocket with enough fuel. 

What pulleys?  Where will they come from and how will they get there?  What will the be installed on?  How would you power these pulleys? What are the cables going to be attached to?  How big would the cable need to be to pull upwards of 100,000 tons without breaking?  How big a diameter wheel would you need to hold that large a cable?

Drawing pretty pictures is easy.  Doing it is what counts. 
    edited March 2021 fastasleeprundhvidStrangeDays