Popular YouTubers sit down for FaceTime with Craig Federighi

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
A series of videos have appeared with the #FaceTimeWithCraig where YouTubers get five minutes with Craig Federighi himself.

Craig Federighi speaks with various YouTubers about WWDC's announcements
Craig Federighi speaks with various YouTubers about WWDC's announcements

Craig Federighi is the SVP of Software Engineering and was the primary presenter during WWDC 2021. Among the many features shown at the conference, FaceTime received some of the biggest changes.

The series of videos have been shared via the hashtag FaceTime With Craig on YouTube, and there are several videos available. As of this writing on Thursday afternoon, there are nine videos across nine accounts. These short interviews offer a little picture of Craig Federighi's thinking surrounding the latest features and his perspective as a user. Everything surrounding FaceTime, SharePlay, and the other social features were developed out of a need felt by Apple's employees themselves, according to Federighi.

The videos are all presented with similar formatting showing a simulated FaceTime window. Each YouTuber was able to introduce the video and edit the video with their own camera angles throughout.

Topics cover his use of Shortcuts, his favorite iOS 15 feature, and his approach to self-care in a demanding job. Federighi speaks from his office overlooking Apple Park.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Craig has been really involved with the community even taking their concerns to heart.

How a man this busy does it, I don’t know but these are traits of a CEO.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I enjoyed the numerous self deprecating jokes he made during WWDC. Typically about his hair. I'm not sure everyone caught all the little jokes. Come to think of it, Craig's personality has several things in common with David Copperfield.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Beats said:
    Craig has been really involved with the community even taking their concerns to heart.

I would not complain at all if he were to be Apple's next CEO.
    Beatselijahgsconosciutojony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
    OMG, it is really embarrassing to watch some of these "interviewers" they really need to step up their game and perhaps take a class on how to properly interview folks.
    edited June 2021 sconosciutonadrielwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    waiting for John Gruber's Daring Fireball interview, best and most insightful interview of all! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Beats said:

Craig is a New World Man, Cinderella Man and Digital Man ;)

He would be the best public face for Apple after Tim retires.  He can have supply chain experts and others run their divisions and domains, but he’ll tie it all together and provide product vision/leadership, and have major credibility with consumers and Wall Street.
    montrosemacselijahgsconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    omasou said:
    OMG, it is really embarrassing to watch some of these "interviewers" they really need to step up their game and perhaps take a class on how to properly interview folks.
    This. 

I get the feeling that Apple is recognizing some younger influencers-in-the-making and trying to give opportunities and not just to the established folks. 

I think some of the younger crowd was a little star struck during the interviews and we should not judge based on the first time they get a big opportunity. No doubt they are already breaking down their efforts, critiwuing themselves, and possibly really wishing they had a do-over. Hopefully they get that chance. 

I was actually a fan of Justin Yes’s interview, but there were a couple challenges there. 

1) Justin is a little too good at reading into the other persons state. Craig seemed a bit too into persona mode and didn’t seem nearly as genuine as he can be. 

2) Justin stayed true to a core theme on his channel, but Craig seemed to almost want to dodge this and looked to be manufacturing a make believe story. That had to be difficult. While I get that Craig has to be careful with revealing how much time he actually spent at the office during a pandemic, he went overboard as he could have easily mentioned his setup at work prior to the pandemic or what it will look like when the office is fully open again. As far as his home setup, the idea that his home setup was just some stack of books to put things on and a stool to make it higher when he wants... riiiiight. I actually felt for Justin during that part. 

3. Craig just didn’t seem connected. He’s a busy guy and that’s understandable totally. But someone in his shoes has all the power to make a youtube feel at home. He came across like he was just fitting this in. 

4. Justin’s “eye contact” and demeanor need work. He is likely used to editing videos and scripting things out so this was new. Also, when an interviewer looks around as the other person is taking, it can leave an incorrect impression that they are disinterested or distracted. I’m sure that affected Craig as well. 

Overall, the fact that Craig has been taking the time to do this is ama big. He’s likely got some folks with him during those to help him stay true to secrecy and diplomacy, but good on him for being available and providing opportunities. And good on the youtubers for giving it a go. There will be more opportunities. Learn from this and come back swinging for the fences. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 612member
    Popular YouTubers ask Craig Federighi questions that Apple has supplied.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    omasou said:
    Interviewing is something that a lot of folks think is not that hard. In fact to merely do it competently requires preparation, thought, and strategy. It is somewhat similar to how a trial attorney prepares for a cross-examination in the courtroom or how a cop questions a suspect or witness. To do it really well, that requires a skill set that many don't possess. 

I've seen people who are well-accustomed to being on camera, who are absolute disasters at interviewing. One of the worst interviews I have ever seen was conducted by Bill Maher near the end of Obama's 2nd term. Maher pestered TF out of him repeatedly on his show for a sit-down interview, finally got it... and it was nothing more than a fanboy session. It was quite a lot like the SNL skits where Chris Farley did the fanboy interviewer character, so cringey. I'm pretty sure I detected slight hints of impatience on Obama's face... "really? I came here for this?"

I've also seen firsthand how pros do it and I've also listened to a heck of a lot of Terry Gross, who is not perfect (her interview with Francis Ford Coppola was a rare clunker) but she has decades of experience at it.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra