Parallels Desktop 17 brings Windows 11 to Mac with enhanced M1 support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I ditched Parallels for VMWare years ago because a single version of Parallels generally only works with a single version of macOS.  VMWare works for years for the same money.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Parallels says its software will provide full support for Windows 11 when the operating system launches, according to Engadget.

Read on AppleInsider

That's an advantage for Parallels on an M1 Mac:   the x86 Macs won't run Windows 11.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    AppleZulu said:
    Peza said:
    It was going so well, till they mentioned it’s a subscription service fee! No way is this worth paying 80 dollars or pounds EVERY year for! They’ve seriously miscalculated their market with that.

My grandson is returning to school soon and, without Windows, his MacBook would be essentially an expensive paperweight.

While it's ridiculous that he would have to pay for something that has, historically, been standard (Bootcamp), it would nevertheless be necessary -- IF HE BOUGHT AN M1 MACBOOK.  But that's a very big IF.  He would not only have to pay an exorbitant rental fee but then be dependent on the whims and fortunes of some private company he never heard of?  I've always stressed to him "Don't do stupid stuff."

Right now, fortunately, his x86 MacBook is running both MacOS and Windows OS very well.  But, if and when it dies, it is unlikely he would buy another MacBook. 
    That would be 'doing stupid stuff'.

It's great that Parallels is out there.   But it's really just a life preserver for those who made a mistake buying an M1 Mac when they also had a need to run Windows -- say to run a school or work application designed for Windows (which most are).

There are few who need to run MacOS.   For most it's a "want" not a "need".   But there are millions who need to run Windows  -- at least part of the time.
    Sure, sure. The most valuable company in the world is based entirely on millions of people "doing stupid stuff" and buying computers that they want but don't need.

Look, if you'd actually read the article, you'd have noticed that Windows is booked to finally catch up and run on ARM processors soon. We get that you went and bought the wrong thing for your grandson and are struggling to come to grips with the embarrassment. You don't need to keep coming here to tell us how it's Apple's fault for not making the thing that you think you should have bought instead. Next time, do better research first and buy whatever gear is required by the kid's school. That's how you "don't do stupid stuff."

Bought the wrong thing?
    LOL...  Nice attempt at a troll -- but no.   Not at all.

He asked for a MacBook and, before i bought it for him, knowing he would likely need Windows for school work I made sure that I could get it to run both if and when he needed Windows.   As it turned out, he did.  So, I upgraded it to also run Windows and now, with Bootcamp, he can do whichever he needs and/or prefers as it runs both MacOS and Windows.

So, he (and his mom) love his MacBook.   But, as I said, without Windows, it would be mostly an expensive paper weight.
    Nobody's trolling you; if anything I would hope that your ridiculous comment, "There are few who need to run MacOS.   For most it's a 'want' not a 'need'.   But there are millions who need to run Windows  -- at least part of the time." was trolling, but I think you actually meant it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    fahlman said:
    $80 a year for Windows is to [sic] much!
    Peza said:
    It was going so well, till they mentioned it’s a subscription service fee! No way is this worth paying 80 dollars or pounds EVERY year for! They’ve seriously miscalculated their market with that.
    I agree. Good thing it only costs $49.99 to renew annually.
    I’m using a version of Fusion that is years old. Why on earth would I want to pay them 50 bucks every year for software I already purchased? Renting software is a scam for many/most consumers, who simply don’t need the latest and greatest every single month or year. 
    VMWare Fusion is a necessity for me and my job.  Considering the fantastic support I've received from them, I continue to gladly pay/support the package for $50.  I'm able to generate much more revenue and my support will hopefully mean they will continue keeping Fusion for years to come, knowing that Intel business will slow down for them.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    dysamoria said:
    And there’s the fatal flaw: subscription.
    AND the fact that Parallels will gleefully continue to charge you, after you cancel, without notice.  And then suddenly "Customer Care" is nowhere to be found.  I'll wait for VirtualBox, with it's limitations.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 44
    That's an advantage for Parallels on an M1 Mac:   the x86 Macs won't run Windows 11.
    That's news to me and lots of others. Running Win 11 Build 22000.120 on my ancient 2015 27" iMac.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Coming from the Windows world with a long history of using VMWare Workstation as my primary development environment and a paid user of VMWare Fusion since its first release I cannot fathom why Mac people have this lingering affinity for Parallels. The VMWare Fusion Player for Mac is a seriously kickass product that's free for non-commercial use. Not only is it reliable and easy to use, the free version of Fusion contains at least one significant feature that you have to pay for on Windows, i.e., snapshots. The non-Mac virtual machines you create with Fusion run equally well on the free VMWare player on Windows.

I wish Mac virtual machines would run on VMWare Workstation/Player on Windows 10 but they are blocked due to legal reasons (not technical ones). But at least having Mac VMs on Mac allows me to run 32-bit Mac apps on a Mojave VM. My Mac has 32 GB of memory so I can run a few VMs all at the same time and give each one plenty of memory and disk space. I have a Windows 10 VM running all of the time, full screen, a trackpad swipe away at all times.

I use BootCamp too, but only in cases where the host has limited memory resources but enough storage to maintain reasonable partition sizes for the two operating systems. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro 13" with only 8 GB memory but a 512 GB SSD. This allows me to run macOS Big Sur and Windows 10 in two partitions. Each operating system gets the full 8 GB memory space when it's running and at least 200 GB of disk space. Not a heavy hitter, but a fully road-worthy dual OS solution.

Windows 11 is, at least at this time, a big "meh" for me. Unfortunately it ended up on one of my machines through the Windows Insider program. I saw no benefit to using it over Windows 10 for my use cases. To add insult to injury, and something that Apple would be filleted like a cod for doing, the Insider update program (depending on your profile) pushes Windows 11 over your Windows 10 installation even if the machine is not compatible with the Windows 11 release version. Basically this means that Microsoft is pushing a version of Windows to your machine that will only work during the beta phase and you will absolutely have to do a full, clean reinstall of Windows 10 on the machine once the beta period expires. Not a big deal for people who are comfortable with reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch and have a couple of spare hours to devote to doing it. I went ahead and preemptively pulled the plug on Windows 11 rather than waiting for the time bomb to go off and rolled back to a clean (non Insider) version of Windows 10.

edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Parallels says its software will provide full support for Windows 11 when the operating system launches, according to Engadget.

Read on AppleInsider

You're referencing TPM?  I think Microsoft have largely backed off from that as a requirement.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    doggonedoggone Posts: 381member
    When I needed to run windows on my Mac having parallels was very useful.  I did however get sick of Parallels trying to me get to upgrade every year for no real feature upgrade except capability with the next version of MacOS.  Eventually I realized that the upgrade was often not needed as the previous version of Parallels would perform well with the new OS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    doggone said:
    When I needed to run windows on my Mac having parallels was very useful.  I did however get sick of Parallels trying to me get to upgrade every year for no real feature upgrade except capability with the next version of MacOS.  Eventually I realized that the upgrade was often not needed as the previous version of Parallels would perform well with the new OS.
    Felt the same way about VMWare Fusion. Then they made the version with all the features I needed free. Problem solved. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Peza said:
    My grandson is returning to school soon and, without Windows, his MacBook would be essentially an expensive paperweight.
    I feel bad for him. I can’t imagine what sort of school district is under the misguided idea that they need Windows software in order to educate. 

That would be most of them.   The prepackaged stuff is pretty much all written for Windows.  While it might run on MacOS, it may or may not be reliable on that platform.   And, a teacher isn't going to give a kid an extension because his Mac wouldn't let him complete his assignment.

Plus, the school techs are mostly Windows guys. 
    Is this college level or grade schol/high school level?  The assertion that most OOB software in the education market is windows is not true.  At least in the US. 

My kids school (middle and high school -- son just graduated) is all iPad based and all the computers in the school are now Macs.  And it is a highly rated school in our state 
    edited August 2021 dysamoriawatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Right now I’m running macOS Monterey (Beta 4) with Parallels 17 doing Windows 11 preview. Snappy and happy on my MacBook Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    I'm still a little confused. On the M1, Parallels would still only support ARM Windows, right? How difficult/ easy is it for all the Windows apps to be ported to ARM? Will the developers even bother to do it?

I'm speculating that until Microsoft get serious about moving away from Intel, they will not dedicate enough resources to ARM Windows to make it worth the while for deelopers.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I had parallels a long time ago.  (Yes, in a galaxy far far away).  I paid for an upgrade so it would run on my newer system. Never got it to work.  Parallels support was MIA after initial contact.  Eventually gave up and moved to VMware and haven't looked back since.  Mainly just use it to run windows so I can run Corp tax software once a year.  Plus an old Mac OS X VM for a specific piece of software I need.  
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Peza said:

While it's ridiculous that he would have to pay for something that has, historically, been standard (Bootcamp), it would nevertheless be necessary -- IF HE BOUGHT AN M1 MACBOOK.  But that's a very big IF.  He would not only have to pay an exorbitant rental fee but then be dependent on the whims and fortunes of some private company he never heard of?  I've always stressed to him "Don't do stupid stuff."

Right now, fortunately, his x86 MacBook is running both MacOS and Windows OS very well.  But, if and when it dies, it is unlikely he would buy another MacBook. 

It's great that Parallels is out there.   But it's really just a life preserver for those who made a mistake buying an M1 Mac when they also had a need to run Windows -- say to run a school or work application designed for Windows (which most are).

There are few who need to run MacOS.   For most it's a "want" not a "need".   But there are millions who need to run Windows  -- at least part of the time.
    Sure, sure. The most valuable company in the world is based entirely on millions of people "doing stupid stuff" and buying computers that they want but don't need.

Look, if you'd actually read the article, you'd have noticed that Windows is booked to finally catch up and run on ARM processors soon. We get that you went and bought the wrong thing for your grandson and are struggling to come to grips with the embarrassment. You don't need to keep coming here to tell us how it's Apple's fault for not making the thing that you think you should have bought instead. Next time, do better research first and buy whatever gear is required by the kid's school. That's how you "don't do stupid stuff."

Bought the wrong thing?

He asked for a MacBook and, before i bought it for him, knowing he would likely need Windows for school work I made sure that I could get it to run both if and when he needed Windows.   As it turned out, he did.  So, I upgraded it to also run Windows and now, with Bootcamp, he can do whichever he needs and/or prefers as it runs both MacOS and Windows.

So, he (and his mom) love his MacBook.   But, as I said, without Windows, it would be mostly an expensive paper weight.
    Nobody's trolling you; if anything I would hope that your ridiculous comment, "There are few who need to run MacOS.   For most it's a 'want' not a 'need'.   But there are millions who need to run Windows  -- at least part of the time." was trolling, but I think you actually meant it.

Of course I meant it.   It's a statement.  Unlike your comments I have not trolled anybody.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    dysamoria said:
    And there’s the fatal flaw: subscription.
    AND the fact that Parallels will gleefully continue to charge you, after you cancel, without notice.  And then suddenly "Customer Care" is nowhere to be found.  I'll wait for VirtualBox, with it's limitations.

Yeh, that's a common problem with many subscriptions.
    And, it is one of the many advantages that Apple's app store provides:   the ability to review what subscriptions you have taken out and cancel a subscription quickly and easily.

In addition, I am sure that there a many people out there who simply pay their credit card bills at the end of the month and, unless it is a large charge, simply ignore the small charges -- so they are likely paying for subscriptions that they never use month after month, year after year.

Hackers sometimes use that same technique:   years ago my credit card was hacked.  The hacker didn't run up huge bills -- he instead charged $25 at a gas station.  It would have easily slipped through any quick scans a person would make on their end of the month credit card statement.  Fortunately, I had alerts turned on so I got a text message the minute he made the charge and I knew that it was bogus and reported a fraudulent charge.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I had my debit card lifted a few years ago and someone got a couple of free McDonalds visits out of it. Seemed a bit unambitious to me.
    dewme
  • Reply 38 of 44
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Peza said:

Bought the wrong thing?

Of course I meant it.   It's a statement.  Unlike your comments I have not trolled anybody.
    Coming on an Apple-centric forum and stating that Windows is a need, but MacOS is merely a want is pretty much the textbook definition of trolling. I think maybe you're writing things without knowing what they mean again.
    Fidonet127watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 39 of 44
    corp1corp1 Posts: 92member
    They lost me at "subscription."

watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    The article needs a correction! All users are NOT by subscription. The standard version IS not.

Thanks for checking this. Indeed the standard/home edition starts at $80 for a one time purchase new license. Only gets 30-days of support though.