Definitely not-CGI 'Ted Lasso' actor says he is a 'normal human man'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Amid conspiracy theories that he's a CGI character, "Ted Lasso" actor Brett Goldstein has broken his silence to confirm that he is a human man who does "normal human basic things, like rendering and buffering."

Roy Kent, definitely not rendered into this scene
Roy Kent, definitely not rendered into this scene

Fans of the series have long speculated that Roy Kent is, in fact, a CGI character, like the one you'd find in EA's "FIFA." From the way he walks to his generic features, there were a number of things that led Apple TV+ viewers to suspect that he wasn't a real person or was somehow digitally edited into the series.

According to Gizmodo, actor Brett Goldstein broke his silence and confirmed his is a "normal human man." His message was delivered as a memoji -- a completely normal thing that real humans do.

"I just want to clear up something once and for all," said the memoji Goldstein. "I am a completely real, normal human man who just happens to live in a VFX house and does normal human basic things like rendering, and buffering, and transferring data."

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Brett Goldstein (@mrbrettgoldstein)

To be fair, there has been plenty of heavy CGI work in "Ted Lasso." If the show can create a CGI stadium, then there's theoretically nothing stopping them from creating a CGI character.

Other VFX have been spotted throughout the show. One notable example is the "notchless" iPhone one character was using in a recent episode.

While AppleInsider may never be able to verify Goldstein's claims, we're happy that Roy Kent continues to be a solid character on the show. Even if he isn't literally solid.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    doaldoal Posts: 27member
    Good only knows. So much weird shit being revealed in the world. I mean, he’s probably not a CGI character. But why do so many actors look so unnatural?
    edited September 2021 jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    doal said:
    Good only knows. So much weird shit being revealed in the world. I mean, he’s probably not a CGI character. But why do so many actors look so unnatural?
    The biggest reason why is lighting. In Ted Lasso, they use quite a bit of soft lighting which gives the effect of super smooth skin and other CGI-like photos. This past weekend my wife and I were looking at old photos and it is the exact same. Photos taken with soft lighting, like video shot with it, come off almost fake looking.
    byronlthtjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Another thing is people get so much botox now that their mouths don't move fully anymore. Making them look unnatural. 
    jahblade
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I’m a regular viewer of the show and big fan. I’ve never heard of this conspiracy theory. Sounds like brilliant marketing to me.  

He’s every fvckin’where!  
    OferScot1tmaybyronlapplguykurai_kagejahblade
  • Reply 5 of 18
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The other issue can be the digital recording. That’s inherently being a lot more processed than film or analog tape would have been giving things a different look. 

Though an actor? 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I hope this is just a cheesy marketing ploy. That would be slightly less annoying than people being stupid enough to think he's a CGI character. Either way, one more notch in the 'humanity is doomed' column.
    ikirbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    That was definitely not Roy Kent. Whole sentences without swear words.
    ikirbyronltmayJWSC
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    He is clearly a Lizard person masquerading as a human pretending to be CGI.   

ikirbyronlJWSC
  • Reply 9 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    sdw2001 said:
    I’m a regular viewer of the show and big fan. I’ve never heard of this conspiracy theory. Sounds like brilliant marketing to me.  

He’s every fvckin’where!  
    ROY KENT!

Yeah, the CGI thing is the dopiest internet rumor I've heard of in a long time (that isn't associated with a red hat). This is a great show and Episode 4 of this season was epic! Everybody is great, but Roy and Hannah are my favorite characters. I want to hear her sing more. 

Apple Music has all of the background music used in the shows, but not Hannah singing Let It Go or Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), which are much better than the other music on the show. I hope they become available at some point.
    byronl
  • Reply 10 of 18
    That’s something a CGI cyborg would say.

#wakeupsheeple
    byronl
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lmao he looks perfectly normal to me in the series 💀
  • Reply 12 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    If he’s not CGI he’s a Tesla bot. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    doaldoal Posts: 27member
    He’s probably not cgi but he sure looks and moves like one
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Boy, satire is tough to get across on the internet…
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I'm all for Apple milking Ted Lasso for what it's worth. It's a great show, and would love to see more like it.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Definitely my favorite character on the show.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    He's here! He's there! He's every f*%@ing where, because he's synced in iCloud! Roy Kent! Roy Kent!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    What a bunch of NURBS.