Over 100 new emoji combinations coming to iOS 15

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2021
Upcoming emoji include melting face, dotted line face, pregnant person, and several skin tone variations add variety to Messages in a future iOS 15 update.

New emoji have been approved by the Unicode Consortium
New emoji have been approved by the Unicode Consortium

Each year the Unicode Consortium draft new emoji into the official Unicode spec. The Unicode 14.0 spec includes 37 new emoji for companies to copy into their emoji repositories.

After the new emoji are approved, it is up to Apple, Google, Facebook, and others to draft up their versions of emoji and releases them to each platform. Apple often uses new emoji as a draw to its new operating system early on -- perhaps iOS 15.1 or so this year.

The emoji have official names and descriptions, each with an example image supplied by Emojipedia as a preview. Apple's emoji tend to look similar to the samples but include a lot of detail within the characters.

Melting face, saluting face, pregnant person, heart with hands, beans, mirror ball, and low battery make up a few of the new emoji choices. The hand options and some people emoji have skin tone variations, meaning the 37 new emoji can have up to 112 variations in total.

There are several new combinations of emoji and skin tone
There are several new combinations of emoji and skin tone

Emojipedia aims for representation when choosing emoji. Various sources are considered, including public demand. For example, people often ask for a pink heart, which is in consideration for Unicode version 15 in 2022.

Since the approved list has been released, it is up to each platform to draw up their emoji and submit them to users. Expect to see these new characters in an update later in 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Just stop.
    baconstangOnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ....Brave.
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 9
    How did we ever survive all these centuries with only pen, paper, alphabet and vocabulary, with not so much as a single emoji? How did Twain, Shakespeare and Hemingway ever get their points across?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    How did we ever survive all these centuries with only pen, paper, alphabet and vocabulary, with not so much as a single emoji? How did Twain, Shakespeare and Hemingway ever get their points across?
    You, in a previous life, 420 years ago: “I say, knave! Wherefore doest Shakespeare writeth in such floweth'ry prose and v'rse? Wherefore doth we needeth iambic pentamet'r at which hour plain English wouldst suffice?”
    ihatescreennamescornchipJapheyionicle
  • Reply 5 of 9

So many I don't have time to find one I want.  So I don't use them any more.  I guess 13 y.o. have enough time on their hands.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Love all the new dudes with a beer belly emoji!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    fastasleep said:You, in a previous life, 420 years ago: “I say, knave! Wherefore doest Shakespeare writeth in such floweth'ry prose and v'rse? Wherefore doth we needeth iambic pentamet'r at which hour plain English wouldst suffice?”
    Whatever are you talking about? Shakespeare would never have needed emojis. Nobody who is proficient in the use of language does. Emojis are a crutch for people who don't have the ability or the inclination to use language properly.

• Reply 8 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    fastasleep said:You, in a previous life, 420 years ago: “I say, knave! Wherefore doest Shakespeare writeth in such floweth'ry prose and v'rse? Wherefore doth we needeth iambic pentamet'r at which hour plain English wouldst suffice?”
    Whatever are you talking about? Shakespeare would never have needed emojis. Nobody who is proficient in the use of language does. Emojis are a crutch for people who don't have the ability or the inclination to use language properly.
    You're completely missing my point. Shakespeare wrote in flowery prose and iambic pentameter which is not how regular people spoke or wrote in plain English. It's an alternative method of communication, not a requirement. A theoretical past you would be all, "Why do we need this?" when it's not *needed*, it just exists as a method of communication.

Another point: Emoji are universal and transcend language barriers. 

The irony here is you think your method of communication is superior to alternative forms of it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Shakespeare's works have been interpreted in many ways on the stage precisely because the written word is a poor approximation of tone.  Emojis go some way to augmenting text with context, and when communicating with people what you say is sometimes not even as important as how you say it.

Being sniffy at emojis is a failure to recognise the basic requirements of human communication and how language evolves so that we can understand each other better.
    fastasleep