Apple CEO Tim Cook buys Southern California mansion for $10.1M

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook has purchased a 9,956-square-foot home in an exclusive residential community in La Quinta, California for $10.1 million.

Credit: Redfin
Credit: Redfin

The deal actually closed in 2018, but confirmation that Cook was the rumored Silicon Valley buyer of the home was only recently confirmed, according to Dirt.

Cook's five-bedroom mansion is located in the Madison Club, an exclusive Southern California rental community known for its high-profile, celebrity residents. The Madison Club is located in Riverside County in Southern California.

Public records indicate that Cook may have paid $9.1 for the million, while Multiple Listing Network data suggests he paid $10.1 million. Both numbers come under the property's listing price of $11.5 million.

Developed by the Discovery Land Company, the Madison Club is known for expensive desert homes and a golf course designed by Tom Fazio. Other Madison Club homeowners include Kourtney Kardashian, Cindy Crawford, Kris Jenner, Nike founder Phil Knight, and Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli.

Cook's new estate spans about 10,000 square feet. It features five bedrooms and six bathrooms, and is situated on a 0.81-acre lot.

The Apple chief executive has spent time at the Madison Club in the past. Back in March 2020, Cook and Apple Services chief Eddy Cue attended a birthday party for Lucian Grainge, Universal Music CEO and Madison Club homeowner. Grainge later tested positive for coronavirus, exposing Cook and Cue.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Is there a Denny’s next door?   There’s always a Denny’s next to a La Quinta.  
    pscooter63mobirdmac daddy zeedewmechadbaggeorge kaplanmikeybabes
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Nice digs. Won't be long until 10 million is the average home price in all of California.
    mac daddy zeeravnorodomfred1chadbag
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Actually a very modest (presumably vacation) home for a guy in Cook’s position.  It is less than 1% of his net worth and for him the equivalent of a person with a 213k net worth (median for 55-64 years old) buying a house for $1,491.
    edited September 2021 narwhalStrangeDaysviclauyycheadfull0wine
  • Reply 4 of 27
    You beat me to it - d-rey said:
    Is there a Denny’s next door?   There’s always a Denny’s next to a La Quinta.  

• Reply 5 of 27
    For a house in CA $10M is not a lot of money especially for a guy like Tim. It actually sounds like a modestly priced house for such a ceo. 
    edited September 2021 mac daddy zeenarwhalStrangeDaysblastdooranantksundaramviclauyyc
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Nice.  I made some food for the homeless people outside my door this morning and gave them coffee too.  I make less then 30 grand a year. I’m completely happy and content.

Tim deserves a mansion if he wants and needs it.  All that space would be awesome to wake up too.
    mac daddy zeenarwhalanantksundaramviclauyyc
  • Reply 7 of 27
    A lot of people in Palo Alto, CA are living in $3 million 'mansions'.
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 8 of 27
    This is just a crash pad for golfing weekends.
    mac daddy zeeblastdoor
  • Reply 9 of 27
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Where does the water come from? The aquifer is being rapidly depleted. Not sustainable. 
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 10 of 27
    "but confirmation that Cook was the rumored Silicon Valley buyer of the home was only recently confirmed"....
    Do you have an editor? In that case, why doesn't she/he do her/his work?
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 11 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cpsro said:
    Where does the water come from? The aquifer is being rapidly depleted. Not sustainable. 
    Hater. Cook can afford to truck it in from wherever he wants. A ten thousand gallon tanker should last a week or so unless he needs to fill the pool. Only the little people have to worry about where their water will come from.
    JanNL
  • Reply 12 of 27
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Planning for his retirement.
    netrox
  • Reply 13 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I've stayed at La Quinta.  Very nice area if you have the money.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    It looks more reasonable than those modern skinny / Billionaire's Raw skyscrapers in Manhattan.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    cpsro said:

It's recycled greywater and kitchen staff sweat from the Denny's next door.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 16 of 27
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    cpsro said:
    It’s sustainable for the elites. That’s how it works. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sflagel said:
    Agreed, and definitely not a “mansion”. 

California real estate is just crazy expensive.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    blastdoor said:
    sflagel said:
    Agreed, and definitely not a “mansion”. 

California real estate is just crazy expensive.
    Maybe playing a little fast and loose with the descriptives, but a 10,000 square foot residence could fairly be called a “mansion”. I have 4 BR and 3 BA in 3,000 sq ft and that is plenty big to me. His is over 3x the size (albeit 2x the bathrooms too).
  • Reply 19 of 27
    For a CEO touting environmental responsibility and with such potential design and financial resources available this raises so many questions...
    I might have expected (hoped for) a choice more along the lines of Naturhus Sweden from Apple TV+ Home adapted for California climate...?

For consideration in comparison Steve Jobs had sought to custom build a 4,910sf home for his entire family: gizmodo.com/exclusive-the-plans-for-steve-jobs-new-house-5649909

"Jobs intends to populate the 6 acres with an assortment of indigenous flora; a simple three-car garage; a modest 5 bedroom home with plenty of windows and decks; a network of lighted stone walkways; and even a private vegetable garden. Everything is neat, tight, pragmatic, and in its place"

"
    Steve Jobs has gone and designed the iPhone of houses"

... and this was a decade ago when the symptoms of climate change were so widely contested by vested interests ...

How should leadership be defined...?
    edited September 2021 williamlondonjeffharris
  • Reply 20 of 27
    For a CEO touting environmental responsibility and with such potential design and financial resources available this raises so many questions...
    I might have expected (hoped for) a choice more along the lines of Naturhus Sweden from Apple TV+ Home adapted for California climate...?

For consideration in comparison Steve Jobs had sought to custom build a 4,910sf home for his entire family: gizmodo.com/exclusive-the-plans-for-steve-jobs-new-house-5649909

"Jobs intends to populate the 6 acres with an assortment of indigenous flora; a simple three-car garage; a modest 5 bedroom home with plenty of windows and decks; a network of lighted stone walkways; and even a private vegetable garden. Everything is neat, tight, pragmatic, and in its place"

"Steve Jobs has gone and designed the iPhone of houses"

... and this was a decade ago when the symptoms of climate change were so widely contested by vested interests ...

How should leadership be defined...?
    I think you are overthinking it.
    nadrielblastdoordewmeAutigerMarkMicDorseyyoyo2222williamlondon