Apple corporate staffers have returned to Apple Park, one day a week

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple corporate employees are starting to return to in-office work on a hybrid schedule as of Monday, including workers at the company's Apple Park headquarters.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Back in March, Apple set an April 11 return deadline for its following several delays in its return timeline due to changes in the Covid-19 situation.

The April return deadline was set after a drop in Covid-19 cases and an easing of mask mandates and other pandemic-era restrictions across the U.S.

Although many technology companies and other firms have embraced a hybrid or remote work model, Apple has made it clear that it sees in-office collaboration as a necessary part of working at the iPhone maker.

Apple's workers won't be expected to stay in-office every day of the week -- at least initially. The Cupertino tech giant is opting for a gradual return strategy that includes working in-office at least one day a week by April 11.

On May 2, staffers will need to work at least two days a week. By May 23, the number of in-person days rises to three. At that point, employees will need to head into the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, with Wednesdays and Fridays set aside for potential remote work.

Not everyone at Apple is happy with the arrangement, however. Apple employees have attempted to lobby for a permanent hybrid or remote work option. However, Apple has pushed forward with its plans despite those requests.

Read on AppleInsider
ronnlkrupp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    With Bay Area traffic being so bad, I almost sympathize with those who don't want to resume their commute.  But it's the job they signed up for.  If management wants them back then that's what they'll need to do.  I'm sure many other companies would be happy to acquire the talents of those who wish to remain working from home.  Maybe they can find new jobs, which better align with their desires.

My only warning is that if you want to move up the ranks, you'll need to show your face in the office.  You may not like it.  But that's the reality.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Utterly pathetic. These people resent the opportunity to collaborate in one of the world’s most desirable workspaces. 

I’d be there in a shot. 
    Link648099
  • Reply 3 of 29
    JWSC said:
    With Bay Area traffic being so bad, I almost sympathize with those who don't want to resume their commute.  But it's the job they signed up for.  If management wants them back then that's what they'll need to do.  I'm sure many other companies would be happy to acquire the talents of those who wish to remain working from home.  Maybe they can find new jobs, which better align with their desires.

My only warning is that if you want to move up the ranks, you'll need to show your face in the office.  You may not like it.  But that's the reality.
    I think it's less about not wanting to make the drive, or even being COVID worried.

I think it's about people who've left the area entirely and still want to be paid Silicon Valley salaries while they live in East Overshoe, ID.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 29
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,760member
    JWSC said:

I think it's less about not wanting to make the drive, or even being COVID worried.

I think it's about people who've left the area entirely and still want to be paid Silicon Valley salaries while they live in East Overshoe, ID.
    There will be other companies that will pay SV salaries and not care where the employee does their work from. Which results in Apple losing talented and highly sought after engineers to competitors, because of Apple's ageing upper management's ideals of a 1990's workplace. COVID showed what could be done remotely, many younger companies stuck with it and stuffier ones have not. There are areas where in-person collaboration is essential, but for people writing code, generally not.
    muthuk_vanalingamlkruppgrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    Imagine being so mentally fragile that being around your coworkers scares you. This is why we say leftist wokism is a mental illness. It's normalized agoraphobia.
    Triggered much?
    Alex_Vbeowulfschmidtronnsnookiecornchipelijahg
  • Reply 6 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Imagine being so mentally fragile that being around your coworkers scares you. This is why we say leftist wokism is a mental illness. It's normalized agoraphobia.
    Great imagining.
    Alex_Vronn
  • Reply 7 of 29
    jasonfj said:
    Utterly pathetic. These people resent the opportunity to collaborate in one of the world’s most desirable workspaces. 

I’d be there in a shot. 
    Utterly pathetic that these people do not want to waste their precious time of 2-3 hours on a daily basis in commuting to office from home and vice versa and instead want to use it for doing more work or achieve better work-life balance. Pathetic indeed!!! /s
    Alex_Vbeowulfschmidtronngrandact73elijahg
  • Reply 8 of 29
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,729member
    Poor Apple. The rest of the nation has wised up and returned to work. meanwhile Apple is being strung along by lollygaggers clinging to an excuse to laze it up. Sad. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 9 of 29
    jasonfj said:

I’d be there in a shot. 
    Utterly pathetic that these people do not want to waste their precious time of 2-3 hours on a daily basis in commuting to office from home and vice versa and instead want to use it for doing more work or achieve better work-life balance. Pathetic indeed!!! /s
    Bruh. That describes literally everyone. But Apple has stated that there’s nothing like in person collaboration. These folks signed up to work a schedule at a location. COVID overreach allowed them an excuse to stay home. That time is done. Now it’s time to get over the hysteria and get back to work. 

There is another virus in the world. It’s here to stay. If you get sick, get treated. In the meantime, get vaccinated if you want. But if you don’t work, you don’t get paid. And it’s not up to you to tell your employer how to operate their business. 
  • Reply 10 of 29
    jasonfj said:

I’d be there in a shot. 
    Bruh. That describes literally everyone. But Apple has stated that there’s nothing like in person collaboration. These folks signed up to work a schedule at a location. COVID overreach allowed them an excuse to stay home. That time is done. Now it’s time to get over the hysteria and get back to work. 

There is another virus in the world. It’s here to stay. If you get sick, get treated. In the meantime, get vaccinated if you want. But if you don’t work, you don’t get paid. And it’s not up to you to tell your employer how to operate their business. 
    Who said they are NOT working? And how do you PROVE that people spending significant time in traffic on a daily basis would be more productive than the ones who avoid traffic? Do you understand that there is a balance to be achieved on a case to case basis, instead of blanket statements like "Utterly pathetic" to describe people who want to avoid traffic? While it is not up-to the employees to tell Apple/<any other business> on how to operate, it is in Apple/other business interest to look after their employees with empathy and work out a schedule which is mutually beneficial. Making absolute statements like "work at office or go home" will not help any company in the long run. They have to have flexibility in dealing with employees. If you think human talent working in these companies can be manufactured by any machines (the tone of your post and other posters in this forum indicate that), you would be in for shock in real world.
    beowulfschmidtronngrandact73elijahg
  • Reply 11 of 29
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,259member
    Turn Apple Park onto a homeless shelter then. Conversely, give all workers who won’t show up a 20% pay cut to reflect all the money they save on not commuting to work. 
    edited April 2022 JWSCOctoMonkeyPaul_B
  • Reply 12 of 29
    jasonfj said:

I’d be there in a shot. 

Beat me to it.  I personally prefer some time in the office, but my commute is only twenty minutes tops, with virtually no traffic, and I never have to go into the city.

But scores of people don't have the same luxury I do, especially in that part of the country.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jasonfj said:

I’d be there in a shot. 

Beat me to it.  I personally prefer some time in the office, but my commute is only twenty minutes tops, with virtually no traffic, and I never have to go into the city.

But scores of people don't have the same luxury I do, especially in that part of the country.
    Agree with you completely. I make it a point to stay at rented house (in India) which is less than 30 minutes one-way travel from home to office. So, working at office every day is NOT an issue at all for me. But I understand that that luxury is not available to many of my co-workers and some of them spend 1.5 to 2 hours in travel for one way trip from home to office. WFH has been a boon for them to improve both productivity and work-life balance (saving 3-4 hours, or even 2 hours every day is not a joke). For tasks which need collaboration, spending one or two days in office in a week and working from home for remaining days would be better for those people. Many people in this forum who comment against employees do not get this basic fact/situation around the people whom they are commenting about.
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 82member
    The workers which built that Headquarter worked SiX (6) days a week, and overtime. Did I mention they did all the heavy lifting?  A Pyramid would have been cooler.  Also I do not see any towers with heavy artillery or lasers to protect the employees.

• Reply 15 of 29
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Seriously? ......

Paul_B
  • Reply 16 of 29
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    jasonfj said:

I’d be there in a shot. 
    If only you qualified to work there.  But you don't.
    elijahgbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 17 of 29
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    It's amusing to see those who could never work at a place like Apple moan and cry.  There also the usual trump idiots with their whiny wokeism comments.  Have there ever been bigger whiners than trump idiots?  Snowflakes all of them starting with their coward criminal traitors hero the orange one.  Meanwhile Apple runs ads touting using their products for work at home....
    People who work at apple can also work pretty much anywhere esle and are voting with their feet.  Good for them since I'm in the same position to be able to work independent of location and pretty much wherever I want.  Don't be jealous if you can't.  Study hard and get a good job, make yourself valuable.  Maybe then you won't envy others so much.
    XedAlex_V
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I hear the Apple Park workspaces are horrible with no privacy at all.  Before I retired as an engineer I worked in some of these type of workspaces and it is hell.  Give me a little office every time.
    grandact73ravnorodomAlex_V
  • Reply 19 of 29
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I hear the Apple Park workspaces are horrible with no privacy at all.  Before I retired as an engineer I worked in some of these type of workspaces and it is hell.  Give me a little office every time.
    This is becoming pretty standard for offices in all industries. 
  • Reply 20 of 29
    jasonfj said:

I’d be there in a shot. 

Who said they are NOT working? And how do you PROVE that people spending significant time in traffic on a daily basis would be more productive than the ones who avoid traffic? Do you understand that there is a balance to be achieved on a case to case basis, instead of blanket statements like "Utterly pathetic" to describe people who want to avoid traffic? While it is not up-to the employees to tell Apple/<any other business> on how to operate, it is in Apple/other business interest to look after their employees with empathy and work out a schedule which is mutually beneficial. Making absolute statements like "work at office or go home" will not help any company in the long run. They have to have flexibility in dealing with employees. If you think human talent working in these companies can be manufactured by any machines (the tone of your post and other posters in this forum indicate that), you would be in for shock in real world.
    Do you even read… you misresponded to the last guys post and now to this. 

no one said they weren’t working. They simply aren’t working as Apple outlined upon hire. A pivot was made when a new virus appeared. Now that we know more, things have gotten normals. Time to get back to the office. Boom. Done. 

There is no excuse to work from home now. Someone hired you? Great! It’s one of the most successful companies in history? Even better. Now go fulfill your job description and work how and where you are expected to work. Honor your employer who gave you the opportunity over others. 

To your last point (and total straw man. Again) of course people can not be replaced by machines. A company is only as good as it’s people. But if you start becoming a problem, you CAN be replaced by other good people. 
    edited April 2022