When the iPhone goes USB-C, other Lightning accessories will too says Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2022
Apple's potential move to USB-C will involve more than just the iPhone, says analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with other accessories expected to make the switch in short order.

On May 11, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple planned to abandon the Lightning connector for the iPhone from 2023, switching instead to a USB-C port. In a follow-up tweet, the analyst signals that other accessories that rely on Lightning will change ports quite quickly too.

Posted on Sunday, Kuo offers a continuation of the thinking from a few days prior, about a supply chain survey indicating a move away from Lightning to USB-C in the second half of 2023. Kuo starts by offering that the alternative of a portless iPhone would be difficult for Apple to achieve, "due to the current limitations of wireless technologies & the immature MagSafe system."

1. Portless iPhone may cause more problems due to current limitations of wireless technologies & the immature MagSafe ecosystem.
2. Other Lightning port products (e.g., AirPods, Magic Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse, MagSafe Battery) would also switch to USB-C in the foreseeable future. https://t.co/KD14TgBmtr

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Due to this, Kuo is onboard with the idea that accessories for iPhones and iPads that still use Lightning will alter their ports to match a change in iPhone port. "Other Lightning port products (e.g., AirPods, Magic Keyboard/Tackpad/Mouse, MagSafe Battery) would also switch to USB-C in the foreseeable future," Kuo writes.

Apple has already started the shift away from Lightning, starting with the iPad Pro line. The company is also reportedly testing out USB-C adapters and a USB-C iPhone, in part prompted by an EU mandate about chargers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    Personal view…

Wireless charging will be the default for all accessories when lightning gets demised. This will cover the MagSafe Battery Pack, AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max.

The iPad is virtually already on USB-C across the board so not much change needed there just the migration of the final few models in their normal update cycles.

The iPhone is a little more interesting in my mind. I almost never use a cable to charge since having a model with wireless charging so I’d be more than happy with no port, but I know friends who use their iPhone in hotel rooms via the AV adaptor. So I suspect that the iPhone will end up with a USB-C transition BUT perhaps this will be model dependent. Perhaps the Pro models get the port but the non-Pro models don’t…

Thoughts?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So now Apple is no longer allowed to think different. Apple must comply with the wishes of bureaucrats and haters. How long until some other bureaucrats mandate Apple comply with their ideas of design, security, privacy, compatibility, maybe even profitability?
    jas99mikeybabesmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    lkrupp said:
    So now Apple is no longer allowed to think different. Apple must comply with the wishes of bureaucrats and haters. How long until some other bureaucrats mandate Apple comply with their ideas of design, security, privacy, compatibility, maybe even profitability?
    Wait til the EU bureaucrats realize they should also mandate all USB-C cords/adapters to be black so as to not confuse anyone.  Or at the very least, issue a 53 page regulation on what hue of white is allowed.
    williamlondonentropysjas99Alex1Nuraharamike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cg27 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Wait til the EU bureaucrats realize they should also mandate all USB-C cords/adapters to be black so as to not confuse anyone.  Or at the very least, issue a 53 page regulation on what hue of white is allowed.
    Ok, I'll wait.  I wonder how long I'll be waiting.
    Alex1Nargonautfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingammpw_amherst
  • Reply 5 of 26
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 322member
    cg27 said:
    lkrupp said:
    What is wrong with USB-C? I don’t think there is anything wrong with it.
    williamlondonfred1michelb76CluntBaby92mpw_amherstgrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If Apple switches to USB-C on iPhone, no big deal as port-less iPhone version is not that far in future. Moreover, we all have enough power adapters and USB-C cables lying around in house so all good with USB-C port iPhone. We need to put aside debate of keeping lightening vs switching to usb-c. The debate should be, IS current version(and upcoming improvement) of usb-c better in dimension, versality, safety, reliability, speed, protocol, power consumption, etc than lightening ? I buy iPhone for iPhone hardware, IOS functionality, security and privacy, vetted Apps, vertical integration and not if it has lightening or usb-c port.
    edited May 2022 Alex1Nargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cg27 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Nothing wrong with it. It’s the idea of forcing companies to use a specific type whether they want to or not
    cg27entropysjas99Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Perhaps forever, as this was intended as sarcasm.  I’ll try to remember to add /S as an aid for those who can’t figure this out, or aren’t sure.  The specific/arbitrary/prime “53 page” should have been a clue.
    jas99baconstangAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    cg27 said:
    crowley said:
    cg27 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Perhaps forever, as this was intended as sarcasm.  I’ll try to remember to add /S as an aid for those who can’t figure this out, or aren’t sure.  The specific/arbitrary/prime “53 page” should have been a clue.
    You can make sarcasm but can’t recognise it when it’s directed back at you?

It was pointlessly snarky, so I made fun.  Guess I wasn’t obvious enough.
    edited May 2022 Alex1Nargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 26
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I think apple should push for convert from Lightning to MagSafe. I just switched from iPhone X to iPhone 13 pro max and I have not yet used my Lightning port. I like mag safe. I even bought a MagSafe batter pack 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    lkrupp said:
    cg27 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Nothing wrong with it. It’s the idea of forcing companies to use a specific type whether they want to or not
    Yes, standardization has been a disaster for electrical outlets, power cords, telephone jacks, car tires, railway tracks, etc., etc.     /s
    baconstangAlex1Nargonauturaharamuthuk_vanalingammpw_amherstgrandact73
  • Reply 12 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Switching iPhone to USBc will boost adoption over USBA more generally too. As it is there are still the majority of peripherals with USBA. Heck you still get microusb.

anyway, I suspect one major reason iPhones have stayed lightning so long (apart from mfi revenue) is Apple probably planned to go portless instead and the tech hasn’t worked out well enough for them.

PS: crowley, the EU is a lesson in how not to do it. Don’t defend the sad senescence of old Europe pretending it still has something)g over the colonies.
    edited May 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    entropys said:
    Switching iPhone to USBc will boost adoption over USBA more generally too. As it is there are still the majority of peripherals with USBA. Heck you still get microusb.

anyway, I suspect one major reason iPhones have stayed lightning so long (apart from mfi revenue) is Apple probably planned to go portless instead and the tech hasn’t worked out well enough for them.

PS: crowley, the EU is a lesson in how not to do it. Don’t defend the sad senescence of old Europe pretending it still has something)g over the colonies.
    Funny how some on here are complaining about the EU bullying the whole world, and yet according to you they're pretending something.  

A lesson in how not to do what, exactly? 

Again, the EU laws will only apply to products sold in the EU.  If Apple continues to favour Lightning, or any alternative port of their choosing, they're very able to sell iPhones with those ports to >80% of the world.  And the majority of people here seem to think that moving to USB-C is the best thing to do anyway.
    avon b7Alex1NargonautCluntBaby92mpw_amherst
  • Reply 14 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    entropys said:

With camera MP race continuing unabated, and with 8K video becoming normal, Apple basically has no choice but to go with TB4 eventually or later version, even if they are going with USBC 10/20 Gbit/s next year. If the camera continues to sell the phone, I just don't see how they cannot offer a high speed interface so that getting hundred GB to TB sized video off the device.

Lightning has gone as far as it can go with 4K video. It really is not a good experience to get an 8K video off the device. Then, if AR/3D/multi-cam shooting is going to be thing, that only puts more pressure on having a high speed interface to get data off the device.
    HobeSoundDarrylentropysAlex1Np-dogCluntBaby92muthuk_vanalingammbenz1962
  • Reply 15 of 26
    tshapi said:
    I think apple should push for convert from Lightning to MagSafe. I just switched from iPhone X to iPhone 13 pro max and I have not yet used my Lightning port. I like mag safe. I even bought a MagSafe batter pack 
    They don't have to make this choice for buyers. Having both an induction charger and a wired interface serves different customers. 
    baconstangAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    tht said:
    entropys said:

With camera MP race continuing unabated, and with 8K video becoming normal, Apple basically has no choice but to go with TB4 eventually or later version, even if they are going with USBC 10/20 Gbit/s next year. If the camera continues to sell the phone, I just don't see how they cannot offer a high speed interface so that getting hundred GB to TB sized video off the device.

Lightning has gone as far as it can go with 4K video. It really is not a good experience to get an 8K video off the device. Then, if AR/3D/multi-cam shooting is going to be thing, that only puts more pressure on having a high speed interface to get data off the device.
    Everything wrong with the EU can be encapsulated with one viewing of the Eurovision song contest.  It’s like watching a slow moving crash involving a great big Kimberley iron ore train.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    entropys said:
    tht said:
    entropys said:

Everything wrong with the EU can be encapsulated with one viewing of the Eurovision song contest.  It’s like watching a slow moving crash involving a great big Kimberley iron ore train.
    The EU does not run the Eurovision Song Contest.  Did you really think Australia and Israel were in the EU?
    baconstangAlex1Nargonautmpw_amherst
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Naiyas said:
    Personal view…

Wireless charging will be the default for all accessories when lightning gets demised. This will cover the MagSafe Battery Pack, AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max.

The iPad is virtually already on USB-C across the board so not much change needed there just the migration of the final few models in their normal update cycles.

The iPhone is a little more interesting in my mind. I almost never use a cable to charge since having a model with wireless charging so I’d be more than happy with no port, but I know friends who use their iPhone in hotel rooms via the AV adaptor. So I suspect that the iPhone will end up with a USB-C transition BUT perhaps this will be model dependent. Perhaps the Pro models get the port but the non-Pro models don’t…

Thoughts?
    By default, you mean it will be the only way to charge a device? Induction charging is not the end goal. It's a nice feature, but a product serves many uses and many of those uses will necessitate more than one way to charge a device and more than one way to connect to a device. Then, you really need to have a critical mass of MagSafe chargers to even make it work. So, they will have to ship MagSafe chargers in the box, and I don't think will do this.

Like I said in the earlier post, getting hundred GB to TB file sizes off the device won't be pleasant across WiFi, and having USB 20+ Gbit/s to TB4 40 Gbit/s interfaces would be nice. Apple has lossless audio. Maybe in the future there will be a wireless interface that can handle that, but today, to hear lossless audio on your headphones is through an external DAC and wire. The iPads, and bigger devices, need to have high speed data connections, so they will continue to ship with USB/TB ports.

So, yeah, I think all the Lightning devices today will switch over to USBC devices when the time comes. It's the most convenient thing for Apple to do.
    baconstangAlex1Np-dog
  • Reply 19 of 26
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    tht said:
    entropys said:

This. Yesterday someone was arguing with me over the merits of usb-c by claiming that nobody he knew transferred data via cable anymore. I argued that the benefits aren’t necessarily what can be accomplished today, but rather what will be possible tomorrow, like faster 8k and AR/3D transfers. I wish I had explained it as well as this. 
    edited May 2022 Alex1Np-dogmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’m hoping Apple makes the new AirPods Pro with usb-c this fall, instead of waiting to do it on the iPhone first. If they’re going to continue only updating these things every 3 years, I really don’t feel like waiting until 2025 to finish my transition away from Lightning. First world annoyance, yes. But valid, nonetheless. 
    CluntBaby92