Tim Cook gets the cover in 2022 Time 100 list

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook has been included in Time's annual list of the 100 Most Influential people of 2022, with the chief receiving praise from Laurene Powell Jobs as well as a cover shot.

Tim Cook's Time 100 cover
Tim Cook's Time 100 cover

The Time 100 is a list compiled of people that the publication believes have been the most influential in the world over the last 12 months. For 2022, Tim Cook has made a return to the list, following seven years after his last appearance.

The profile of Cook was written by Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of co-founder Steve Jobs and founder of social change organization the Emerson Collective.

"Apple is Tim Cook's life's work, and in this work, Tim displays mastery," Powell Jobs starts, before declaring Cook as demonstrating "more range in his leadership of one of the world's largest companies than any contemporary CEO."

The full Time 100 cover featuring Tim Cook, one of five covers being published.
The full Time 100 cover featuring Tim Cook, one of five covers being published.

"The intense pressure of setting and executing Apple's progression with deep precision, and of taking responsibility for the company's effects on society, is almost unimaginable," she adds. "Yet Tim does it with compassion and discipline, turning to nature to replenish his spirit."

Cook is said to have "carved out a place as not only one of the world's most admired CEOs, but an exemplar of moral leadership, technological innovation, environmental stewardship, and humanitarianism. Powell Jobs finishes by paraphrasing Theodore Roosevelt: "Tim strives valiantly, dares greatly, and spends himself in a grand cause."

Along with the profile, Cook is also one of the people who appears on one of five variants of the magazine's front cover. Other cover stars include actor Zendaya, musician Mary J. Blige, actor Simu Liu, and Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    I am looking forward to buying this edition of Time! Having the article about Tim Cook written by Laurene Powell Jobs provides more credibility than anyone else at this point. I am also thinking Channing Tatum is over-the-top awed that Matthew McConnaughey wrote an article about him. 
    kurai_kagegilly33rundhvidjony0
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Way to go Mr. Cook and Mss. Mia Mottley. Tim defies all the naysayers time and again. 
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I made the back cover design of that particular issue  :*.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Cook is said to have "carved out a place as not only one of the world's most admired CEOs, but an exemplar of moral leadership, technological innovation, environmental stewardship, and humanitarianism. Powell Jobs finishes by paraphrasing Theodore Roosevelt: "Tim strives valiantly, dares greatly, and spends himself in a grand cause." 
    There's a quotation mark error in that paragraph.

For Tim's sake, it's a good think "human rights" isn't on the criteria list for winning. And I say that despite being an AAA: Ardent Apple Advocate.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 5 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

For Tim's sake, it's a good think "human rights" isn't on the criteria list for winning. And I say that despite being an AAA: Ardent Apple Advocate.
    I love typo criticisms followed by typos. Also, what do you think humanitarianism is?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I didn't know Laurene did this sort of thing.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    "It's the ecosystem, stupid!" If I had to summarize Tim's superb leadership of Apple since Steve's passing, that sentence would be it. Tim gets a lot of sh*t for not being the showman and out-of-the-box thinker that Steve was--and he's not, no one else is--but with the doomsayers predicting Apple's demise without Steve at the helm, Tim stepped in and guided Apple to be far more successful than it ever has been, not to mention becoming the world's most valuable company. True, under Tim's leadership, we haven't seen the new product magic of an iPod, iPhone, MacBook Air or iPad--but what he has done is leverage what used to be one of Apple's biggest negatives--its walled-garden ecosystem--into its greatest strength. I can hear the Windows and Android crowd screaming "sheeple" now, and be my guest, but the fact is that as people continue to introduce more tech products into their lives, having a controlled ecosystem in which they all "just work" seamlessly together becomes more and more appealing and much harder to leave once you're in it. Apple will never be the volume leader in anything because Tim knows that marketshare without profitability is a fool's game. Instead, Apple continues to have incremental growth and incredible profit-share, even while sales shrink for the overall market. 

There was a time when Apple products had a commanding lead over other companies in terms of design, innovation and overall quality, but I don't think that's uniformly the case any longer. Other companies took notice and caught up. There are plenty of times now when I look at another product's design or features and wish Apple was doing something like that. However, there's nothing that could persuade me to leave the Apple ecosystem... not with a desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, watch, set-top box and headphones all working seamlessly together without ever having to think about it. Tim isn't selling features or even a specific product, he's focused on selling the overall Apple experience as consumers acquire more products that need to play well together. And every quarter, you see how many buyers are new to Apple--and once they come in, they are more likely than not to stay. 

So bravo, Tim--I can't think of bigger shoes to fill than Steve's but you've done a brilliant job guiding Apple to new heights. And somewhere Steve is smiling, knowing that he saved his greatest "One more thing..." for last: leaving you to run the company. 
    edited May 2022 steve_jobsjony0
  • Reply 8 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member

I love typo criticisms followed by typos. Also, what do you think humanitarianism is?
    Humanitarianism is the promotion of human welfare. People can support human welfare without supporting human rights. "Rights" are things like voting, free speech, fair trials, etc. "Welfare" is things like health and happiness. You could try using a dictionary to confirm that. The fact that Apple does most of its assembly and manufacturing in countries where human rights don't exist, and the fact that Tim Cook doesn't talk about human rights is very disappointing.

The only rights I've heard Tim Cook talk about are "rights to privacy," and "gay rights". Tell me, do either of those rights exist for Tim's million employees and contractors in China?

Sorry about my typo. But I'm not paid to write these opinions. And it was probably an auto-correction error.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Humanitarianism is the promotion of human welfare. People can support human welfare without supporting human rights. "Rights" are things like voting, free speech, fair trials, etc. "Welfare" is things like health and happiness. You could try using a dictionary to confirm that. The fact that Apple does most of its assembly and manufacturing in countries where human rights don't exist, and the fact that Tim Cook doesn't talk about human rights is very disappointing.

The only rights I've heard Tim Cook talk about are "rights to privacy," and "gay rights". Tell me, do either of those rights exist for Tim's million employees and contractors in China?

Sorry about my typo. But I'm not paid to write these opinions. And it was probably an auto-correction error.
    Are you fucking kidding? Absolute nonsense. Have you looked here?
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

This leads to:

24 uses of "human rights":
    https://s2.q4cdn.com/470004039/files/doc_downloads/gov_docs/Apple-Human-Rights-Policy.pdf

127 matches for "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple_SR_2022_Progress_Report.pdf

22 mentions of "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple-Supplier-Code-of-Conduct-and-Supplier-Responsibility-Standards.pdf

22 mentions of "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple-Conflict-Minerals-Report.pdf

10 mentions of "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/How-We-Work-With-Suppliers.pdf

7 mentions of "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple-Combat-Human-Trafficking-and-Slavery-in-Supply-Chain-2021.pdf

3 mentions of "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple-Smelter-and-Refiner-List.pdf

1 mention of "human rights":
    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple-Regulated-Substance-Specification.pdf

These are all Cook-era policies. Whether rights exist in other countries where Cook and Apple obviously have no jurisdiction beyond policies for their supply and manufacturing partners is immaterial.

And, yes — they may mean separate things according to the dictionary, but that doesn't mean there aren't significant overlaps in a Venn diagram for the two terms. It's implied in the statement.
    jony0