Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

Comments

• Reply 221 of 245
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    gatorguy said:

You've confused realistic with negative.
    And, as usual, gatorguy, you've confused your anti-Apple/pro-Google outlook with realistic. 
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 222 of 245
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    Not everyone can cough up w that amount, me anyway….
  • Reply 223 of 245
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    DicksonM said:
    I noticed the stock price dropped after the announcement and a lot of comments about the price being unrealistic.
    Apple's stock price always runs up before an announcement and then drops immediately after. It might be possible with analysis to determine some meaning from the amounts it moves in each direction, the trend over several days, etc, but by itself, the stock price dropping after the announcement is both meaningless and expected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 224 of 245
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,898member
    First eight minutes Marques describes the controllers and the sensors very well, and after he talks about the sensors and how they work, I don’t think it will ever sell for under two grand, not for a long time if ever, and it’s going to replace a few things if you want to replace them. 

There will be many people who buy that headset and a iPhone, and possibly not much else, if you’re a programmer, a cad user, 3-D designer or user of some specialized programs that most people will never use in their life of course not. but if you are the majority of population, that may be a distinct possibility by the third generation of this product.

aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 225 of 245
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,229member
    gatorguy said:

You've confused realistic with negative.
    And, as usual, gatorguy, you've confused your anti-Apple/pro-Google outlook with realistic. 
    I'm happy to see you more active here at AI. You were absent for a very long time and discussions had gotten too courteous, laidback and comfortable for anything other than China which always brings out the worst. You bringing a taste of how things used to be here is a nice change of pace.
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 226 of 245
    billg35billg35 Posts: 2member

Yesterday, June 5, 2013, as part of the Keynote for WWDC conference, Apple announced another "one more thing": Apple Vision Pro. This is Apple's entry into the augmented/virtual reality headset market. Will be available in seven or eight months from now (early 2024) for $3500. It's Apple calls its "first spatial computing" device.
    Some thoughts:
    In January 1984 you could buy in Apple Macintosh 128 all-in-one computer. This device's interface and design created a revolution in computing which grew to encompass all of computing. Other similar revolutionary examples of Apple innovation / design: the iPod, the iTunes music store (and its follow on iterations), the iPhone, the iPad…All of which have come to dominate their markets.
    It's hard to under-estimate how ground breaking the original Mac 128 with it's original Macintosh operating system was. At the time it was criticized as overpriced, under powered, and having limited use. Those critiques were correct. They were also unimportant compared to what it did offer.
    The original Mac (128) cost $2500 in 1984. With inflation that's worth $7290 in 2023.
    So I contend that Apple Vision Pro device will similarly be groundbreaking and its interface will become the origin of how humans will deal with computers in the next 15+ years. I also suggest that it will be seen as overpriced, under powered and having limited use. Those critiques will be correct. And they will be unimportant compared to what it offers.
    Do you see a trend here?
    Plus: it's half the cost (as adjusted for inflation) of the Mac 128!
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    Bill Geraci
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 227 of 245
    I definitely won't be able to afford the first few iterations, but I really like that they're committing to a whole new platform (i.e. the AR hardware, plus Vision OS, making it more than just a "peripheral" device), not just a gimmick like so many other "VR goggle" concepts. I expect that over the next 5-10 years, it will get smaller, thinner, lighter, more powerful, and hopefully more affordable. I'd like to see the price go down to $999 for "SE"-flavored versions, $1999 for mid-range, and $2999 for "Pro" versions. I think the implementation is well thought-out, and I genuinely hope there's enough of a market for it to mature and evolve over time. Apple does have a pretty good record of leading the industry into new consumer tech spaces. I don't mean that they're necessarily the first to invent a particular technology, but their implementation has generally been more intuitive and user-friendly.
    Portable digital music players existed before the first iPod, "smartphones" existed before the iPhone, "tablet computers" existed before the iPad, and "VR goggles" have existed long before the Vision Pro, but Apple have always managed to steer the industry through their tighter software/hardware integration. Hopefully the same goes with the Vision Pro. I think there's a lot of potential here.
    edited June 2023 gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 228 of 245
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    I've been a huge skeptic of AR/VR.

But this thing could be bloody brilliant.
    Right!! But as usual the haters are out in their droves in these comments. Whew. It’s amazing. I showed my buddy at work the video and he was blown away. He doesn’t even own anything Apple. He was like ‘I’m saving up to get these when they come out’. He’s a gamer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 229 of 245
    Looks horrible. Total bill gates need level. Non even resembles apple design. Wastes battery with the outside screen. 

And you wear the thing from your head to your waist? Serious? 

Looks like it was meant to be glasses but apple wanted to rush it out before the glasses could be feasible. 

Looks like a solution looking for a problem. 

Actually could be a problem. Amazing that this product is announced right after Sumbul Dasani addresses the problems of having a screen too close to your eyes - and this thing puts the screen less than an inch away. 

Not compelling. But a fun toy. 

At least they got a Jony Ive soundalike to talk about the “design.” LOL

Iger talking up these amazing new experiences that are just vague ideas, but ending with the reality: “oh. Um. Disney plus.” Pretty sad. So far, not really different use cases than other devices.
    Okay Mr. Brilliant how would you have designed it? Send AppleInsider one of your designs so we can see what an AR/VR headset should look like. And I’ll bet if Jony Ive had designed it you would have found fault too. So let’s see what you got?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 230 of 245
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think Apple got their Wishlist of things they wanted to do and a low price point wasn't one of them.   I think it's amazing and if I had $3500 to blow on something like this, I'd get it.   I have other things I need to spend my money on.  Far more important things.  I wouldn't get a first gen device anyway.  I'd wait for at least a second gen device.  My first iPhone was the iPhone 4.    

I also wouldn't take this thing out in public as you'd get mugged for it.  It's $3500 and small enough to grab and run and sell for $100 for more drugs.  Easy money!!!!  I would like to try it out.   It's going to take time for the apps to come out. But if few people buy it because of the price, not many apps will be developed for it. Just another reason to wait for a Second-gen unit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 231 of 245
    Xed said:
    Looks horrible. Total bill gates need level. Non even resembles apple design. Wastes battery with the outside screen. 

And you wear the thing from your head to your waist? Serious? 

Looks like it was meant to be glasses but apple wanted to rush it out before the glasses could be feasible. 

Looks like a solution looking for a problem. 

Actually could be a problem. !!!!!  that this product is announced right after Sumbul Dasani addresses the problems of having a screen too close to your eyes - and this thing puts the screen less than an inch away. 

Not compelling. But a fun toy. 

At least they got a Jony Ive soundalike to talk about the “design.” LOL

Iger talking up these amazing new experiences that are just vague ideas, but ending with the reality: “oh. Um. Disney plus.” Pretty sad. So far, not really different use cases than other devices.
    Essh! Lambasting the entire concept before the reveal video is even complete and before you've even used one.

As for the sentence I've underlined, those other devices aren't adjusting their screens for he closeness of the display, whereas the Apple Vision Pro is designed knowing exactly how far away it is to the user in a physical sense and is designed to trick the brain into thinking objects are much further away. There is a massive difference—it's not subtle.
    Just another hater Xed. Happens every keynote. I’m not seeing them making anything in technology. But they can sure hate. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 232 of 245
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The hour plus introduction reminded me of the long intro to the iPhone 6 months before launch.  Not everyone was impressed with it immediately after the intro by Steve Jobs, but there were long lines at the Apple Stores on the Launch Date.  Forget the price barrier - there are millions in the US who can afford one the first week or so, and then there are more outside the US.  Just like the iPhone, price will not be a barrier for those with above average incomes. 

And, just like the iPhone's introduction, competition in this market were given a heads up yesterday and have already spent an al nighter trying to figure out all the challenges they now face now that the public has seen how Apple has redefined the market.

And let's give some thought to how servicing companies are going to react.  We have a first glance at Disney's efforts, which should spur other media companies on what they should be looking at.

I would love to buy one next January, but I'll pass.  I'm 78 and might not be around in January - especially after 5 cancer surgeries.  I've also been married 54 years and don't want to run the wife off, especially after she suggested that I buy a new M2 MB Air last month.

Not a lot of folks will not be able to buy one at the "Intro Price", but they can have a grand year following the news for the next few years - including how many people will line up outside the Apple Stores on Day One.
    watto_cobradanox
  • Reply 233 of 245
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    I did not buy Apple Watch when it first came out. Because I don't see how it will be useful to me. In fact, I didn't buy it until the series 8. That is when I see my wife using hers to read messages. Then I realized it is very convenient. I made up my mind. After the purchase, its fitness app started bugging me for activities. It made me aware that I am lacking movement by staying in front of the computer all day. 

It seems Apple is able to cultivate its own ecosystem by creating features user wants. Right now, I don't see a compelling reason how VP can make my life better. But as time goes, the people working on other Apple devices will implement things that make VP works better. So eventually I might buy one because I am a complete Apple user. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 234 of 245
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    mcdave said:
    Vision Pro replaces what?
    Vision Pro replaces world travel, going to the theater, attending concerts and sporting events, trying to imagine what a fantasy world would look like, packing 4k monitors in your suitcase, mounting multiple 4k monitors above your bed, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 235 of 245
    kmareikmarei Posts: 183member
    JP234 said:
    cpsro said:
    mcdave said:
    Vision Pro replaces world travel, going to the theater, attending concerts and sporting events, trying to imagine what a fantasy world would look like, packing 4k monitors in your suitcase, mounting multiple 4k monitors above your bed, etc.
    And your girlfriend.
    What girlfriend :)
  • Reply 236 of 245
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    cpsro said:
    mcdave said:
    And this is the reason GOOG making 52 week high today? But not MSFT, META, and NFLX.
    edited June 2023
  • Reply 237 of 245
    I have been watching 4K travel videos on a large screen high quality home theatre system.  

The idea that someone can take their vision pro on the same road trips and record them in 4K 3D will change everything.  So I can watch travelogues in 3d is eagerly awaited.

someone else already mentioned x-rated.  

Different world is coming.  Ready or not.  
    watto_cobradanox
  • Reply 238 of 245
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    chadbag said:
    Technically it looks very cool.  Apple certainly can.  The real question is if they should have.  I don’t see this as solving a problem for many people.  It’s more of a bragging right for Apple to show off their tech.  

I have no interest (and I’m very pro-Apple and have been since 1984).  

A lot of people said the iPad was just a bigger phone, had no killer app other than to consume media.  Apple sold a few over the years anyway. 
    You missed my point.   Of course they’ll sell a bunch.  Plenty of fans out there buy everything and anything Apple makes.  And there will be vertical use cases that make sense for this sort of product.   I’ve seen some cool surgery products that use Hololense but that would really kick butt with this.  

The point is that this is solving a problem almost nobody has.  On a day to day basis, most people I know don’t want to wear this sort of thing around in order to get stuff done. Short term experiences, sure.  But it doesn’t solve many problems most people have on day to day basis that can’t be solved easier and more cheaply with an iPad, iPhone, or Mac.  

And a company the size of Apple can’t afford to only sell a “small” number of units — volume that other companies would die to have, of course.  Probably the only reason the Mac has survived is because it’s needed to produce apps and content for the iPhone and the rest of their “eco system “ and because it’s their heritage product.   The volume is very low for the size of Apple. 

Until we get to the sunglass size and comfort level this sort of thing won’t be a mainstream product for every day use.  

Vertical market use, sure.  Nerd and geek use, sure.  If the price comes down drastically, then it will be something people pick up for short entertainment sessions. 

It’s a tour de force of technology and only Apple could have put so much thought and energy and innovation into such a product.   But is it the right product?  Time will tell.  I’m  not convinced 
    edited June 2023 danox
  • Reply 239 of 245
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,898member
    Looked around the net looking at various sites (some are off the hook) concerning the Apple Vision, particularly those that got their hands on it, and in all the descriptions Apple appears to have hit it out of the park (in terms of fit, finish performance and quality), the ramp up of this product will be like a long, slow upward Tsunami, in terms of revenue and profit. 

While most of the public is still oblivious, this feels like the intro of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, and it highlights all of Apple’s strengths in OS design, engineering, and industrial design. And I need to re-organize my portfolio.
  • Reply 240 of 245
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    chadbag said:

And a company the size of Apple can’t afford to only sell a “small” number of units 
    They absolutely can afford to.