Apple still has a lot of secret apps for Vision Pro in the works

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited June 2023

A new report claims that Apple Vision Pro was meant to be demoed with fitness apps, games, and even running Mac apps directly, but Apple only showed what little is working now.

Tim Cook announces
Apple Vision Pro

When Apple unveiled its long-awaited Vision Pro headset, it did so with demonstrations of many apps and tools -- but not the ones that were expected. Prior to launch, there were reports of gaming and fitness apps for the headset, and ones to do with health and wellness.

According to The Information, Apple chose not to include these and many more apps because they are simply not working yet. Vision Pro apps and functions said to have been either postponed or dropped completely include:

• Tai Chi app

• Nike workout

• Yoga

• Gaming where precision control is needed

• Running Mac apps

• Augmented or 3D Apple TV+ content

Much of the health or fitness functions are on pause because they rely on full-body tracking. The Information cites two unspecified sources who said the planned tracking isn't working.

The publication reports seeing screenshots of a Slack conversation in which Apple told developers that full-body tracking will be available when the device ships. It's a reason that the Vision Pro has two downward-facing cameras, so that it can, for instance, measure breathing by monitoring a user's chest.

As well as software applications, there have reportedly been hardware issues that have slowed down the development of the headset. Face cushions have been researched, for instance, as they could be better suited in high-intensity workouts, though it's not clear how they would have been used.

Similarly, the Vision Pro lacks what The Information calls "brow cams." It's claimed that the headset had been planned to more accurately depict a user's facial expressions, instead of Vision Pro only showing a CGI version of the user's eyes.

According to people cited as being former team members at Apple, fitness was was also removed from the demo because of other hardware concerns. Reportedly, the external battery pack was considered cumbersome, and the front glass of the headset is too fragile to survive a wearer bumping into walls.

Communication apps

One potentially significant omission from Apple's demo was a feature that is said to have been called "co-presence." This would have made it possible for the headset wearer to talk to someone far away, as if they were in the same room -- but it required full-body tracking.

Nonetheless, if correct, this would have been Apple's answer to one of the criticisms of the Apple Vision Pro headset. People including Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg have accused Apple of trying to isolate headset wearers from the world, and people, around them.

The rumors of such features do fit with a previous claim that Apple was launching the Vision Pro sooner than its own engineers recommended.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    You bet they do!  How can they not.

In a few years there will be many compelling use cases by both Apple and outside developers.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is shortsighted.

byronlMacProgregoriusmcornchipmike1danoxlolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Work feverishly my devils.
    gregoriusmradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member

Tim Cook announces
    • Augmented or 3D Apple TV+ content
    I knew it, this will be very interesting. There’s also a rumor that there’s thing this called Immersion Camera that can film professional videos at 3D. Apparently they’re using it in Taylor Swift’s current tour which will be an Apple exclusive (per two unrelated comments I saw on two social media platforms)
    MacProgregoriusmcg27Alex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Shortsightedness is a staple of Apple critics.  For example all the 'I wouldn't film my daughter's party wearing a Vision Pro' comments, the inference being Apple's 3D videos are not going to be used.  What about the same 3D cameras in high end iPhones?
    edited June 2023 gregoriusmcornchipcg27CurtisHightdanoxAlex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    More interested in the running Mac apps on the device part. Am I going to need a Vision Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD storage like the iPad Pro?
    cornchipwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    hmlongco said:
    More interested in the running Mac apps on the device part. Am I going to need a Vision Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD storage like the iPad Pro?

I can see it being killer for 3D CAD.
    cg27Alex1Nradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    I guess I’m shortsighted as user Cg27 says.   Certainly, the device is high tech. But, i find it hard to believe it’s going to replace my iphone and large screen TV among other things as some have said.   The device may be great for special use cases.  But,  do you really believe average Joe user is going to sit around for hours wearing this ski goggle device?  LOL.  Wearing this thing for long periods of time may be bad for people’s hair too?
    Skepticalwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    article, “Running Mac apps”. Yes, please!

MacPro, “'I wouldn't film my daughter's party wearing a Vision Pro' comments….” Flash brackets are made to position external lights centered over the image plane for the purpose of casting the most aesthetically pleasing shadows on faces. This works well with square image capture, cumbersome solutions exist for rectangular image capture. I have long wondered about placing a wireless flash on a headband or helmet for improved position, handling, and format flexibility, as funny as it might look. Hence, the thought of using a Vision Pro for image capture is more technical turn on than turnoff. (I wish for Vision Pros sporting square image sensors, especially important for Vision Pros since they can only be rotated with significant difficulty. I also wish for flash synchronization).

MacPro, “What about the same 3D cameras in high end iPhones?” Yes, please.

Hmlongco, “More interested in the running Mac apps on the device part. Am I going to need a Vision Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD storage like the iPad Pro?” I am hoping for something like a Mac mini case, armored, belt attachable, with battery, storage, and additional connections.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    MacPro said:
    Shortsightedness is a staple of Apple critics.  For example all the 'I wouldn't film my daughter's party wearing a Vision Pro' comments, the inference being Apple's 3D videos are not going to be used.  What about the same 3D cameras in high end iPhones?

In the age of TikTok shorts, YouTube shorts, Snapchat, Instagram, it was very annoying, or I should say laughable that people were creeping out over that guy wearing the Apple Vision Pro filming his kids, you know that’s going to happen on day one everywhere when the Vision Pro becomes available to the public.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    MacPro said:

But then again, is using a Vision Pro that much more distracting than having parents perpetually holding up phones or iPads to record the event?

Or, to go back awhile, than having them shoulder bulky VHS camcorders to do the same?

And besides, you can always take it off.

Alex1Nfreeassociate2radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    hmlongco said:
    MacPro said:

But then again, is using a Vision Pro that much more distracting than having parents perpetually holding up phones or iPads to record the event?

Or, to go back awhile, than having them shoulder bulky VHS camcorders to do the same?

Agreed.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,572member
    hmlongco said:
    MacPro said:

"Apple Vision Pro is too large and bulky to record cherished events."

FileRCA VHS shoulder-mount Camcorderjpg
    edited June 2023 freeassociate2radarthekatwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    What no augmented calculator?
    Can not only detect a calculator on your desk and read the result from the screen but can be used with other calculating items. Scale Ruler, Slide Rule, abacus.... 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 125member
    Why announce more?
    Let's face it (pun intended), at the moment they want to get their newest trick pony in front of developers so they can get them to start working their collective creative minds and come up with cool uses for it. There is no need to announce more than that, especially when the rest is rather unpolished as of now (for a product that still has a lot of time to the finish line).
    Also ... it's probably not a bad thing to have something to write home about, once the product gets actually introduced to the market. Apple doesn't want to read reports 'Yeah Apple announced the availability of the Vision Pro and it's all as seen long time ago' once it comes out.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    M68000 said:
    I guess I’m shortsighted as user Cg27 says.   Certainly, the device is high tech. But, i find it hard to believe it’s going to replace my iphone and large screen TV among other things as some have said.   The device may be great for special use cases.  But,  do you really believe average Joe user is going to sit around for hours wearing this ski goggle device?  LOL.  Wearing this thing for long periods of time may be bad for people’s hair too?
    Pretty sure that the question “But, do you really believe the average Joe is going to sit around for hours doing X?” has been asked and answered affirmatively many times.

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    hmlongco said:

Apples M2 processor potentially maxes out at 24 gigs, the R1 co-processor true capacity hasn’t been revealed yet, and the SSD storage capacity hasn’t been revealed yet either, so the first generation Vision Pro could have 48 gigs memory, and one tetra byte of storage capacity, on paper it is the equivalent of a Mac or an iPad Pro computer, and therefore can run all of the Apple software, Mac OS, iPhone OS, iPad OS, and Apple Watch OS, and with that comes all the development tools too, all of that adds up to a developers paradise.
    edited June 2023 radarthekatCurtisHightwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    badmonk said:
    Work feverishly my devils.
    Bwahahahahaha…..devil laugh 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Why announce more?
    Let's face it (pun intended), at the moment they want to get their newest trick pony in front of developers so they can get them to start working their collective creative minds and come up with cool uses for it. There is no need to announce more than that, especially when the rest is rather unpolished as of now (for a product that still has a lot of time to the finish line).
    Also ... it's probably not a bad thing to have something to write home about, once the product gets actually introduced to the market. Apple doesn't want to read reports 'Yeah Apple announced the availability of the Vision Pro and it's all as seen long time ago' once it comes out.

From the time developers get their hands on the developer tools, and the device itself, there will be a long steady line of developers, announcing that they have ported over an existing program or created a new one to work with the Apple Vision Pro, over the next 6 to 9 months right up until its introduction/release to the public, and once it’s released to the public and people can go to the Apple store and test it out themselves, you can’t ask for a better runway, leading up to new product introduction. A tsunami.

There have been many complaints about the price, but, once you get the opportunity to try it out yourself, listening to the testimonials of people who have tried it, there will be a recalibration once people try it out for themselves at the Apple store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ8Png-FZ0g. Another testimonial, includes a very funny quote at the end.

edited June 2023 watto_cobracg27tmay
  • Reply 19 of 19
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    danox said:
    Why announce more?

From the time developers get their hands on the developer tools, and the device itself, there will be a long steady line of developers, announcing that they have ported over an existing program or created a new one to work with the Apple Vision Pro, over the next 6 to 9 months right up until its introduction/release to the public, and once it’s released to the public and people can go to the Apple store and test it out themselves, you can’t ask for a better runway, leading up to new product introduction. A tsunami.

There have been many complaints about the price, but, once you get the opportunity to try it out yourself, listening to the testimonials of people who have tried it, there will be a recalibration once people try it out for themselves at the Apple store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ8Png-FZ0g. Another testimonial, includes a very funny quote at the end.

Thank you for the link, the excitement in the presenter’s voice is so genuine and palpable, and he does a great job of explaining how it feels to wear and use the VP; can’t wait to try these!!
    williamlondon