Apple, Google confirm new EU 'gatekeeper' law applies to them

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2023

A swathe of Big Tech firms ranging from Apple to TikTok owner Bytedance have told the EU that they fall under the provisions of the Digital Markets Act (DMA), signalling that they accept its rules about messaging apps.

It's not that there was any doubt over whether the major Big Tech companies came under the aegis of the new law, especially since it was effectively created to target them. But now European Commission industry chief Thierry Breton says the firms have formally notified the EU that they qualify.

According to Reuters, Breton and the EU have announced that six companies have said they come under the new rules:

• Apple

• Alphabet/Google

• Amazon

• Meta/Facebook

• Microsoft

• ByteDance

"Europe is completely reorganizing its digital space to both better protect EU citizens and enhance innovation for EU startups and companies," said Breton said in a statement announcing the news.

The Digital Markets Act came into force on November 1, 2022, and became applicable on May 2, 2023. Chief among the requirements for companies that fall under the EU's definition of "gatekeeper," is that they must allow their rival messaging apps to be interoperable.

There are other requirements, such as ones regarding the use of third-party app stores. In 2022, Gerard de Graaf, an EU official who helped pass the DMA, expects it to affect about a dozen companies.

"We expect the consequences to be significant," said de Graaf at the time. "If you have an iPhone, you should be able to download apps not just from the App Store but from other app stores or from the internet."

The EU defines a gatekeeper as a large online platform, and the aim of the Digital Markets Act is to make such platforms fairer for competing services. Failure to comply with the DMA rules could trigger an EU investigation, which might lead to "behavioral or structural remedies."

Fines of 10% of total worldwide turnover could also be imposed, rising to 20% for repeat offenders.

To qualify as a gatekeeper under the EU's definition, companies must have more 45 million active users monthly. They must also have at least a 75 billion euro market capitalization.

The EU will now confirm the gatekeeper status of the firms, and announce the confirmation by September 6, 2023. Following that, the firms have six months to comply with the DMA rules.

Digital Markets Act rules

If companies are confirmed to be gatekeepers, the DMA's rules will require many changes by Apple. The company will, for instance, have to allow both third-party app stores and therefore also side-loading of apps on iPhones.

Apple will also have to allow developers to use third-party payment systems, rather than be required to use Apple's one.

Users will have to be able to abandon Siri in favor of an alternative voice assistant, too.

And Big Tech gatekeepers will be forbidden from highlighting its own services over those of rivals, such as unfairly promoting Apple Music on the App Store more than Spotify.

That promotion of a firm's own services comes under the EU's anti-steering rules. Separately, Apple attended a closed-session hearing with the EU on Friday, June 30, 2023, arguing against a Spotify-led complaint specifically about Apple Music anti-steering.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    dave2012dave2012 Posts: 58member
    From my long memory of computing on Mac, interoperability has always been a massive struggle. Whichever company has the dominant position uses tricks to undermine it. Good to see the EU intervening.
    croprwilliamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 2 of 56
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,261member
    Why does everything have to interoperate? I buy Apple products. I don’t buy Google things. I made a choice to buy Apple-only products. What business does the EU have telling me I have to use, or allow to use, other products? What product has the EU improved? None that I know of. They’re just doing a huge money grab. 
    williamlondonAnilu_777DogpersonapplebynatureappleinsiderusermacplusplusJaiOh81KTRwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 56
    "We expect the consequences to be significant," said de Graaf at the time. "If you have an iPhone, you should be able to download apps not just from the App Store but from other app stores or from the internet."

The consequences of turning iOS into Windows will be significant but not in the manner that they like to promote to the public. 
    rob53danoxmacplusplusJaiOh81strongywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 56
    chelinchelin Posts: 110member
    "We expect the consequences to be significant," said de Graaf at the time. "If you have an iPhone, you should be able to download apps not just from the App Store but from other app stores or from the internet."

The consequences of turning iOS into Windows will be significant but not in the manner that they like to promote to the public. 
    How about a better analogy; turning iOS into macOS.
    Because that would be completely crazy! 😉
    CheeseFreezeappleinsideruser
  • Reply 5 of 56
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    rob53 said:
    Why does everything have to interoperate? I buy Apple products. I don’t buy Google things. I made a choice to buy Apple-only products. What business does the EU have telling me I have to use, or allow to use, other products? What product has the EU improved? None that I know of. They’re just doing a huge money grab. 
    How dare I be given options!
    williamlondonseanjAlex_Vmichelb76
  • Reply 6 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,801member
    rob53 said:
    Would you prefer that your carrier only connected to users that used the same carrier? 
    gatorguyseanjAlex_Vmichelb76
  • Reply 7 of 56
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,612member
    chelin said:

How about turning iOS into euOS? I'm sure Tim would enjoy ceding control to others.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,359member
    chutzpah said:
    rob53 said:
    Fuck that, how dare I have to go to yet another store to buy another app that refuses to sell through the store I already use and be forced to give them my precious financial and personal details just so they can get hacked and get info on me, or at the very least, sell my private info so they can harangue me to buy things I neither need nor want.
    22july2013Anilu_777Dogpersondanoxapplebynaturerob53darelrexappleinsideruserFileMakerFellerericthehalfbee
  • Reply 9 of 56
    chutzpah said:
    rob53 said:
    Fuck that, how dare I have to go to yet another store to buy another app that refuses to sell through the store I already use and be forced to give them my precious financial and personal details just so they can get hacked and get info on me, or at the very least, sell my private info so they can harangue me to buy things I neither need nor want.
    I would never use a different app store and I would never help my family or friends if they obtained apps from a different app store. 
    Anilu_777Dogpersondanoxdope_ahminestrongykurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 552member
    dave2012 said:
    From my long memory of computing on Mac, interoperability has always been a massive struggle. Whichever company has the dominant position uses tricks to undermine it. Good to see the EU intervening.
    In many cases Google is dominant (see US lawsuits against its ad business) and u DO NOT want Google on my phone or pushing itself on my App Store feed. I choose Apple products for a reason. 
    danoxapplebynaturewilliamlondonstrongytdknoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    Would you prefer that your carrier only connected to users that used the same carrier? 
    That’s a kind of a stupid analogy. If I want to message someone on Messenger, I use Messenger. Or SMS, or the Tik-tok app. There ARE already options.

And siloing has a point. I don’t need to be bombarded with scam messages because a certain company’s revenue stream is bolstered by their lax rules.

And no, I don’t want my iOS to be like macOS … I use macOS or Android when I want that. How do ya’ll not get how product differentiation works? Do you post on the Home Depot thread about how your Philips screwdriver doesn’t pound nails, or do you grab a hammer?

There’s also the obvious fact that macOS’s is security model is more and more like iOS, for good reason. Has everyone forgotten that these restrictions were put in place to combat security threats on devices that were even more capable of intruding on our lives?

Do you not read significant research on how “more options” isn’t an inherent good, and often brings quality down? Anyone? Did we forget what the race to the bottom has done for PC and Android manufacturers? (I’ve got a vivid recollection of decades of test equipment that has failed in spectacular ways vs my Apple hardware. Even the expensive models.)

Can I go to Germany and buy things in Canadian dollars or Mexican pesos, without exchanging into Euros first? Will stores carry the cost of exchanging for me?

Or can I pump diesel fuel into my gas car?

The point is that there are millions of points of friction that could be eased, but they aren’t for a variety of reasons, both economic and engineering. The EU could go after some of those. But let’s face it, it’s really kowtowing to what European businesses want, not what’s better for its people.

Ya’ll need to stop taking your pet peeves out on the rest of us and just use a platform that caters to your type of needs. They’ve been around for decades now. Move already. You have options.

edited July 2023 danoxapplebynaturebsimpsenstompywilliamlondonmacplusplusFileMakerFellerericthehalfbeestrongytdknox
  • Reply 12 of 56
    I've been saying for nearly a decade that Apple could meet all of EU's rules by allowing iPhone and iPad users to install Android when they set up their device. There's no reason for iOS to support third party app stores if Apple supports Android for iPhones. There's your choice. How many iPhone users would install Android, maybe 1%?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 56
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,586member
    rob53 said:
    The point is that it's YOUR CHOICE that keeps you buying Apple products, and the quality of THEIR products. 

Not the fact that they make it extremely difficult to choose a different manufacturer's product, even if their products progressively go to shit, because they make it impossible to export the data you've sunk into their services and use it on any other brand's devices. 

Because at that point, you don't have a choice but to keep buying their products. 

You have to realise that this doesn't apply just to Apple — it applies to ANY manufacturer who might invest less and less into building shittier and shittier products, while holding their customers hostage. 
    gatorguywilliamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 14 of 56
    spheric said:
    rob53 said:
    The point is that it's YOUR CHOICE that keeps you buying Apple products, and the quality of THEIR products. 

Not the fact that they make it extremely difficult to choose a different manufacturer's product, even if their products progressively go to shit, because they make it impossible to export the data you've sunk into their services and use it on any other brand's devices. 

Because at that point, you don't have a choice but to keep buying their products. 

You have to realise that this doesn't apply just to Apple — it applies to ANY manufacturer who might invest less and less into building shittier and shittier products, while holding their customers hostage. 
    Okay, so why not force all car manufacturers to be compatible with each other, like using compatible infotainment systems, compatible tires, and compatible engines? Do you like to be consistent? Just asking.
    danoxapplebynaturetdknoxkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    ailoopedailooped Posts: 29member
    @williamlondon Good points.

I suspect anonymized AppleID for registering on all these will be at-least an option. If you can buy with Apple pay, likely completely untraceable unless criminal.

And these options are likely because Apple has anticipated this due to the long process and signalling from EU regulators. 

For Apple. privacy pays... So they have an incentive to do it properly.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    That’s a kind of a stupid analogy. If I want to message someone on Messenger, I use Messenger. Or SMS, or the Tik-tok app. There ARE already options.

And siloing has a point. I don’t need to be bombarded with scam messages because a certain company’s revenue stream is bolstered by their lax rules.

And no, I don’t want my iOS to be like macOS … I use macOS or Android when I want that. How do ya’ll not get how product differentiation works? Do you post on the Home Depot thread about how your Philips screwdriver doesn’t pound nails, or do you grab a hammer?

There’s also the obvious fact that macOS’s is security model is more and more like iOS, for good reason. Has everyone forgotten that these restrictions were put in place to combat security threats on devices that were even more capable of intruding on our lives?

Do you not read significant research on how “more options” isn’t an inherent good, and often brings quality down? Anyone? Did we forget what the race to the bottom has done for PC and Android manufacturers? (I’ve got a vivid recollection of decades of test equipment that has failed in spectacular ways vs my Apple hardware. Even the expensive models.)

Can I go to Germany and buy things in Canadian dollars or Mexican pesos, without exchanging into Euros first? Will stores carry the cost of exchanging for me?

Or can I pump diesel fuel into my gas car?

The point is that there are millions of points of friction that could be eased, but they aren’t for a variety of reasons, both economic and engineering. The EU could go after some of those. But let’s face it, it’s really kowtowing to what European businesses want, not what’s better for its people.

Ya’ll need to stop taking your pet peeves out on the rest of us and just use a platform that caters to your type of needs. They’ve been around for decades now. Move already. You have options.

The analogy is fine. Just exaggerated.

You can contract services with as many carriers as you want. At least in the EU. You would need a number for each one.

Ironically you can't do that in the US because choice is actually limited and that lack of choice is bad. Terrible even. 

Interoperability is where we should have been long ago. 

Why do you think .pdfs are so popular? 

Why do you think standards of any kind exist? 

IM has been about isolation and in some cases, lock in. Apple Messages doesn't even make it clear that it isn't sending an IM message to Android users. It simply bundles it up as an SMS and sends it off. 

The discussion on interoperability has nothing to do with the discussion on security. 

Sometimes there will be limits to what can be done. No, you can't put any petrol in any car, but then again you can't get fried eggs out of a toaster either. 

Let's apply some common sense. Once the technicalities have been resolved on the back end, can you give me a single good reason why interoperability should not be the ultimate goal of instant messaging? 

muthuk_vanalingamgatorguyCheeseFreezeFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 56
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,586member
    spheric said:
    rob53 said:

Okay, so why not force all car manufacturers to be compatible with each other, like using compatible infotainment systems, compatible tires, and compatible engines? Do you like to be consistent? Just asking.
    Because no car on this planet offers storage for ANYTHING of yours that you cannot readily and easily remove and place in another car. 
    Any data you put in is either synched from your phone or on physical media/devices — and removed once you take the phone or the USB stick or the CD or whatever with you. Any possession you bring into the car can be taken out and placed in any other car, built by any other manufacturer on the planet. 

This is NOT about components of the device. This is about what YOU bring into the device — YOUR DATA. 

This legislature isn't forcing anyone to allow other manufacturers' engines, but about letting you actually take your luggage, your umbrella, and your phone back out of the car when you want to use a different car. 

Incidentally, every tire I've ever bought would have worked on other brands' cars, as well, and every infotainment system I've used offered to work with regular radio stations and when it allowed me to connect my phone or iPod, I could still just take them with me when I left the car, and use them just like that in other manufacturers' cars, any time I wanted to. 
    edited July 2023 muthuk_vanalingamchutzpahwilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Think of all of the technological innovation that could be worked on by engineers instead of having to deal with this crap that in the end does not benefit the user.  Anyone who thinks the EU is out to help the consumer is delusional — this is all about power — look at us, we can demand that trillion $ companies do something and they will do it!  They don’t believe in letting the market decide, because this would not require their oversight.  No oversight = no status = no power.
    entropysstrongywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Think of all of the technological innovation that could be worked on by engineers instead of having to deal with this crap that in the end does not benefit the user.  Anyone who thinks the EU is out to help the consumer is delusional — this is all about power — look at us, we can demand that trillion $ companies do something and they will do it!  They don’t believe in letting the market decide, because this would not require their oversight.  No oversight = no status = no power.
    Funny that EU consumer laws are almost universally considered to be very pro-consumer.

They very much do benefit the consumer and go far, far beyond. Air quality, food safety... 

Just look a post-Brexit water quality of rivers, lakes and the sea of the UK. Would anyone dare dip a toe into any of that after the government relaxed legislation?

As for the market deciding.

You seem to have forgotten that there are numerous investigations underway into precisely how the gatekeepers stifle market forces. 
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 56
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,281member
    chelin said:

How about turning iOS into euOS? I'm sure Tim would enjoy ceding control to others.
    What a weak response to a strong comment. This makes absolutely zero sense. 
    chutzpah