Cook justifies Apple's advertising on X as a 'town square' for the Internet

Posted:
in General Discussion

Elon Musk's X is too important to stop Apple's advertising on the platform, according to Tim Cook, with the Apple CEO touching on political equality and environmental efforts.

Apple CEO Tim Cook [CBS Sunday Morning]
Apple CEO Tim Cook [CBS Sunday Morning]

Following less than a week after Apple's "Wonderlust" iPhone 15 event, the Sunday broadcast of CBS Sunday Morning had a feature about Tim Cook and Apple, covering a wide range of topics from the environment to social equality.

Opening with environmental issues, Cook starts by denying Apple does any virtue signaling with its projects. "We want the hard work," Cook claims, referring to initiatives that make business sense.

"I want to see that it pencils out because I want other people to copy it and I know they're not going to copy a decision that's not a good economic decision," Cook insists.

"It can be done, and it can be done in a way that others can replicate, which is very important for us. We want to be the ripple in the pond, we want people to look at this and say I can do that too' or I can do half of that.' We want people to look at this and rip it off."

Equality and X

After discussing a solar project in Texas and visiting an Apple campus in the state, the interview turns to Cook's political commentary about equality. It touches on how Texas promotes business-friendly climate, the state has pursued anti-abortion and anti-trans and gay legislation.

When pressed about Cook's commitment to equality and the state of Texas politics clashing with those views, Cook explains that there will always be instances where Apple is operating where the company and the government have differences in opinion.

"But I'm telling you from our heart, we believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect, And that's how we show up as a company," Cook says. "We believe in being a part of the community and trying to advocate for change, rather than pulling the moat up and going away."

The interview then shifts to Twitter, now known as X, as the ADL has accused Elon Musk of helping promote antisemitic content on the platform.

Asked on whether Apple is reconsidering advertising on X following these incidents, Cook says it's "something that we ask ourselves. Generally, my view is Twitter's an important property. I like the concept that it's there for discourse and there is a town square. There's also some things that I don't like."

Pressed in the interview, Cook calls antisemitism "abhorrent, just point blank, there's no place for it." When asked if it's something Apple is evaluating, Cook adds "it's something we constantly ask ourselves."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,648member
    Xhitter is still a huge place for exposure.  Equality applies to money.

This is not meant to be political, but simply a statement of business.
    edited September 2023 techconcwilliamlondonentropys9secondkox2commentzilla
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Viewing the current Texas state government as having a "difference of opinion" is incredibly naive. They place zero value on anyone else's speech, political views or voting. 
    tmaydewmejSnivelywilliamlondonmattinozbaconstang9secondkox2freeassociate2mainyehcBannedForFreeSpeech
  • Reply 3 of 44
    California places zero value on anyone else’s speech, political views or voting 
    techconcwilliamlondonchabigkdupuis77entropys9secondkox2byronlargonautOctoMonkeyBannedForFreeSpeech
  • Reply 4 of 44
    bytor said:
    Bravo x 100.  
    edited September 2023 williamlondonkdupuis77entropys9secondkox2argonautOctoMonkey
  • Reply 5 of 44
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,091member
    The ADL is a corrupt organization peddling false narratives.  It is a shell of what it once was and what it stood for 
    williamlondonkdupuis779secondkox2byronlargonautOctoMonkey
  • Reply 6 of 44
    It’s pretty ridiculous that anyone thinks Apple (or anyone else) has to justify advertising on X or anywhere else they choose.  Business is business and politics are politics.  Attempting to mix the two is a recipe for disaster. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2kdupuis77entropysbaconstangbyronlmuthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 44
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,424member
    bytor said:
    That's non-sense. 

Having lived in TX and CA, I can assure you that TX has a lot more restrictions than CA does when it comes to human rights. 

tmayapplebynaturejSnivelywilliamlondon9secondkox2baconstangargonautfreeassociate2mainyehcNoGodsNoMasters
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Apple can advertise all they want on Twitter. I’ll never know because I’ll never see it. 
    jSnivelyrobin huberbaconstangAlex_Vmuthuk_vanalingamforegoneconclusionFileMakerFellermainyehcBannedForFreeSpeechseanj
  • Reply 9 of 44
    It IS the town square for the internet. 

Strange article. 

Cook doesn’t have to “justify” being on social media. It’s good business. 

The only thing he really needs to rethink is investing so heavily in the human rights violation that is the Chinese government. 
    entropysbaconstangbyronlmuthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 44
    netrox said:
    bytor said:
    That's non-sense. 

Having lived in TX and CA, I can assure you that TX has a lot more restrictions than CA does when it comes to human rights. 

Disagree. I’ve lived in tx for a decade and found the laws to be much more humane and livable than CA. Laws felt like they were passed by actual humans who had to live by those same laws. If it weren’t for my career I’d go back in a heartbeat. 
    edited September 2023 chabigbyronlargonauttechconc
  • Reply 11 of 44
    techconc said:
    It’s pretty ridiculous that anyone thinks Apple (or anyone else) has to justify advertising on X or anywhere else they choose.  Business is business and politics are politics.  Attempting to mix the two is a recipe for disaster. 
    This. 
    entropysargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 44
    It IS the town square for the internet. 

Strange article. 

Cook doesn’t have to “justify” being on social media. It’s good business. 

The only thing he really needs to rethink is investing so heavily in the human rights violation that is the Chinese government. 
    Nope, it is not. It's a mall at best. If you want to use an Architectural analog. 

A town square is owned by the town there may be public and commercial buildings surrounding it, residential apartments and offices looking over it that can yell out the window if they like but the space in the middle is free and only bound by the rules of common decency. 

If there is a town square then its cobblestones are open protocols like SubPub. 

But yes why would Apple not advertise in a very large mall.  
    edited September 2023 9secondkox2Alex_VwilliamlondonmainyehcsphericAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 44
    techconc said:
    Sounds like an argument to keep corporations from donating to politicians and PACs.  
    jSnivelybaconstangforegoneconclusion
  • Reply 14 of 44
    The dude keeps slave camps. He certainly doesn't need to “justify” using a free-speech social media app. WTF is going on?
    9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 44
    jparismd said:
    The dude keeps slave camps. He certainly doesn't need to “justify” using a free-speech social media app. WTF is going on?
    LOL. Some of the reaching here is beyond hilarious. 

You want to see a slave camp, go check a day in the life of an iPhone manufacturing employee. 
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Then right after the interview ended he dived into a giant pile of money like Scrooge McDuck.
    9secondkox2dewmewilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 44
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,170member
    ilarynx said:
    techconc said:
    Sounds like an argument to keep corporations from donating to politicians and PACs.  
    Totally agree with that. The use of shareholders’ investments as a plaything of executives and directors playing politics is pretty much theft.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 18 of 44
    What a difference 20 years make. Still can remember in 2001, when Tim Cook showed up in our office. It more or less generated a climate of fear, because at that time Tim Cooks showing up meant layoffs will follow (and yes they did follow).
    byronlwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerOctoMonkey
  • Reply 19 of 44
    There is nothing to "justify". Twitter is a free speech platform (with an asterisk) so why bother with censored Threads or Facebook?
    argonautwilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Xhitter  :D  Sums it up nicely.
    spheric