Apple promises 'scary fast' Mac announcement the night of October 30

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2023

Apple's next special event will take place on the night of October 30, with the "Scary fast" presentation anticipated to include Mac updates.

October 30 'Scary Fast' Apple event invite
October 30 'Scary Fast' Apple event invite

Alerts have been sent out to the media on Tuesday, inviting them to watch a special Apple Event online. The event, subtitled "Scary fast." will take place on October 30.

Unusually for Apple, it is timing the event for 5:00PM PT, which is 8PM ET and 1AM BST. Compared to other typical event timings, this is an extremely late showing for the iPhone maker.

The event is likely to see the launch of new Mac models, including potentially a new 24-inch iMac.

The 24-inch iMac is long overdue for an update, with it languishing on M1 chips when practically everything else in the Apple Silicon range has moved on to M2.

While other Macs will rely on M3, it seems unlikely that there will be an appearance of Macs using the chip during the event. On Sunday, rumor reports continued the narrative that new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines running on M3 are at important stages of mass production, but won't surface until early 2024.

Indeed, Apple made a considerable hint that Mac will feature during the event via its Apple Events page. The Apple logo animates a change to the "Face" icon used by the macOS Finder app.

A bunch of iPad updates are also potential candidates for the event, but the rumor mill suggests otherwise.

Earlier in October, Apple introduced a new Apple Pencil with USB-C, amid rumors of an iPad introduction.

An update to the iPad line, including an M2 iPad Air and a refreshed iPad mini, could happen as spec-bump updates. However, there have also been claims that there won't be any iPad changes before the end of 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Yippee. A new iMac at last!
    9secondkox2byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 53
    M3, Here we go!!
    killroy9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 53
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    What a mighty long wait! About time, hopefully now I can upgrade my old iMac.
    killroy9secondkox2byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,104member
    All the chronic rumor deniers eating crow right now.
    killroy9secondkox2chasmzeus423byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,456member
    This better not be a play on words vis-a-vis Halloween!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    I'm all for choices and options. I am sure these new "scary fast" macs will be important to many people. And at some point in the future, I know I will benefit from them as I replace my gear. But...I have abandoned the iMac line, after using many many iterations of it, in favor of a third party 4k display and mac mini that serves my present needs. I am not a "pro" user and what I'd really like is a reliable, easy to use home desktop computer for simple, everyday tasks. 

Apple does not make devices that appeal to low cost consumers. If you want a simple desktop computer, the mac is not for you. I do like the interoperability between the varied devices, so one intriguing possibility is that Apple does make a more versatile and affordable monitor "system" that can display, on a desktop, content from any source - iPhone, iPad, legacy devices like a mac mini, or...straight from internet sources, and just skip any local processing or storage.  

YMMV. 
    king editor the gratewilliamlondon9secondkox2Afarstarzeus423Alex1Nbyronlbeowulfschmidtcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,303member
    I guess it’s time to trade in my 2017 MacBook Pro with the problematic keyboard for a new one.
    killroydope_ahmineAfarstarbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Always good to see new Macs. 
    edited October 2023 killroy9secondkox2zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 53
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Opposite Monday Night Football. Las Vegas Raiders at Detroit Lions.
    killroywilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 53
    XedXed Posts: 2,582member
    tht said:
    It seems evident that the use of scary as a descriptor is in regards to Halloween.
    killroy9secondkox2dewmeAfarstarAlex1Nbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 53
    eightzero said:
    I'm all for choices and options. I am sure these new "scary fast" macs will be important to many people. And at some point in the future, I know I will benefit from them as I replace my gear. But...I have abandoned the iMac line, after using many many iterations of it, in favor of a third party 4k display and mac mini that serves my present needs. I am not a "pro" user and what I'd really like is a reliable, easy to use home desktop computer for simple, everyday tasks. 

Apple does not make devices that appeal to low cost consumers. If you want a simple desktop computer, the mac is not for you. I do like the interoperability between the varied devices, so one intriguing possibility is that Apple does make a more versatile and affordable monitor "system" that can display, on a desktop, content from any source - iPhone, iPad, legacy devices like a mac mini, or...straight from internet sources, and just skip any local processing or storage.  

YMMV. 
    I would disagree with some of what your saying.

First, there are a still a ton on Intel Macs out there where an upgrade to M2 or M3 (we assume) will make a huge difference in performance and capability for even average computer users.  I see many 2014, 2015, 2016 MacBooks being upgraded.  
    Second, as far as low cost... true, the least expensive M2 MacBook Air is $1099 and you can find PC's a lot less than that.  But how long is that PC going to last?  Three years?  Four years?   That M2 or M3 Air will almost certainly go seven or eight years for the non-pro user.  So they have a large expense at the outset, but over time, they are saving money.   That was true with my first iMac in 2012- it cost me easily $1200 more than a PC, but it lasted seven years.  I was needed to upgrade PCs every two to three years. 
    Third, "If you want a simple desktop, the Mac is not for you."   No.  Seriously, no.  The Apple user interface is by far better than anything Windows can offer and dealing with settings is most certainly better.   

Finally, as far as using a Mac mini or Mac Studio with an external monitor- that is absolutely a great choice for a lot of people.  I do wish the Studio Display just wasn't so expensive. 
    gregoriusmking editor the gratekillroyronnGabyzeus423Alex1NbyronlJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,898member
    tyler82 said:
    All the chronic rumor deniers eating crow right now.
    Will gladly, eat crow if Apple reintroduces a new 27 inch iMac at least someone will get to use the re-introduction of a great all-in-one Mac computer, too late for me I had to buy a Max Headroom Mac……
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
      Here comes an updated 24" iMac with an M2 and  since it's called scary fast maybe an M2 Pro CPU will be an option.  No way will the M3 be announced in a web only nighttime event, people are crazy to think the company that is world class in marketing will do something that lame.  
    edited October 2023 killroywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Yes! So many denying the smoke that’s been swirling for a while. Here comes the fire. 

Likely multiple Macs - iMacs and MacBook pros. 

M3, here we come, baby!

Ohmigosh. Is apple actually going to launch pro and max chips also????

if so, it looks like apple is on the hunt again. Good stuff. 
    edited October 2023 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,456member
    Xed said:
    tht said:
    It seems evident that the use of scary as a descriptor is in regards to Halloween.
    Yes. However, I do hope the products have class leading compute performance! So highly performant it is scary for competitors, not, so slow it is scary for users. The ad copy applies to both scenarios.  :o  ;)
    9secondkox2Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingambyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    NYC362 said:
    eightzero said:

YMMV. 
    I would disagree with some of what your saying.

First, there are a still a ton on Intel Macs out there where an upgrade to M2 or M3 (we assume) will make a huge difference in performance and capability for even average computer users.  I see many 2014, 2015, 2016 MacBooks being upgraded.  
    Second, as far as low cost... true, the least expensive M2 MacBook Air is $1099 and you can find PC's a lot less than that.  But how long is that PC going to last?  Three years?  Four years?   That M2 or M3 Air will almost certainly go seven or eight years for the non-pro user.  So they have a large expense at the outset, but over time, they are saving money.   That was true with my first iMac in 2012- it cost me easily $1200 more than a PC, but it lasted seven years.  I was needed to upgrade PCs every two to three years. 
    Third, "If you want a simple desktop, the Mac is not for you."   No.  Seriously, no.  The Apple user interface is by far better than anything Windows can offer and dealing with settings is most certainly better.   

Finally, as far as using a Mac mini or Mac Studio with an external monitor- that is absolutely a great choice for a lot of people.  I do wish the Studio Display just wasn't so expensive. 
    We likely agree on much, and your points are fair and accurate. However, when I said the mac is not for you, I wasn't clear. I did not intend to suggest the PC as an alternative. To be clear, the PC/ Windows combo is never an alternative for...well... anything. My guiding principle: when was the last time you regretted buying and paying for quality? That would be never. We do agree strongly on your point there.

What I was trying to write, and didn't, was for a desktop experience, maybe we are at a stage where a MacBook (yes thats a mac and my bad for being particularly bad about implying otherwise) can feed a nice desktop sized display...or maybe a iPad or even iPhone will do that. I'm reminded of my very first Mac, the PowerBook Duo 230 with a docking station. But still...the macOS (and iOS and PadOS) need help being much simpler. I think that was what I was trying to express, but didn't.

My last iMac was a mid 2009 27" version. I would still be using it, but it has developed thermal problems requiring manual control of the internal fans, making it noisy. 

NYC362Alex1Nbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Maybe because they will also release re4 with the announcement with crazy good graphics on m3 🤔
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Galfan said:
    M3, Here we go!!
    No way is the M3 being announced at this event.  Apple is the king of marketing and introducing a major processor change will not occur with a web evening event.  I expect an 24” iMac with an M2 and maybe an M2Pro as an option.   Be even better if they also introduced a new 27” iMac.  
    edited October 2023 9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Galfan said:
    M3, Here we go!!
    No way is the M3 being announced at this event.  Apple is the king of marketing and introducing a major processor change will not occur with a web evening event.  I expect an 24” iMac with an M2 and maybe an M2Pro as an option.   Be even better if they also introduced a new 27” iMac.  
    You have to remember that Tim Cook is really pushing his Vision Pro product. There was a lot of pushback he received from senior staff, so he doubled down, got developers to evangelize, etc. 

this is likely opening things up to try to give the VP as much of an iPhone focus as possible. 

People are so excited about m3, they’d likely not care much about VP if the m3 systems haven’t launched yet. 

That’s the only scenario I can think of that makes sense. iPhone just launched. Had to give that its own focused window. Now macs can launch early before the vision pro tests the waters early 2024 with apple unhinged it as hard as they can. 

If this hypothesis is true, Great news for those of us in the market for m3 Macs. 
    edited October 2023 FlappoAlex1Nbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,704member
    Galfan said:
    M3, Here we go!!
    Like yourself, I'm expecting an M2 / M2 Pro 24" iMac  but also M3 Pro / M3 Max MBP models.  Full Stop.  No base model M3.
    FlappoAlex1Nwatto_cobra