Want to try Apple Vision Pro? Apple has plenty of appointments

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Apple opened up in-store appointments for Apple Vision Pro tryouts on Monday, and we highly recommend taking advantage of one of these slots before you drop at least $3499.

An Apple Vision Pro headset on a wooden tray, in an Apple Store, just before a demonstration
Apple Vision Pro demo tray

Even before Apple Vision Pro was in consumers' hands, it was polarizing. Like with any consumer product, there were the proponents and the antagonists.

And with any launch the emotion behind the two opinions remains extreme.

Don't let the quiet launches fool or sway you, though. Apple's flagship store in New York City had a decent crowd, but we've seen much larger recently. All of the metro DC stores we have contacts with talked about having just a handful of people on Friday and over the weekend per day, looking to get time with the headset.

But those same folks are telling us that while not every in-store reserved demo slot is full, they're seeing more and more people every day. And, most of the folks getting demonstrations are saying that they've seen escalating coverage on mainstream media, social media, and on sites like AppleInsider.

Our US-based staffers have had ours for a few days now after some of us getting our in-store demo, and we can say, across the entire staff, that a guided walk-through of key features from an Apple employee is the best demonstration possible. Apple staff are trained, ready, and waiting to do this -- and that demo beats fumbling around with the technology on your own.

If you have glasses, Apple will measure them to be sure that you get the right Zeiss lens attachments. They will measure your head, make sure you have the right size of all the fabric components, and show you how the headset fits -- because that is absolutely crucial for proper use and clear visuals.

Consider it a kickstart to your Apple Vision Pro experience before you take it home. And, as a bonus, you'll know from the get-go if the concept is for you or not, without forking over that $3499 plus tax.

Close-up of Apple Vision Pro resting on textured fabric sofa arm, with a wooden armrest in the background.
Apple Vision Pro in its natural habitat -- at home

Meta doesn't have stores, and Microsoft absolutely failed to demonstrate HoloLens effectively in its retail arm. Apple has stores, and it isn't afraid to tell you about Apple Vision Pro. Let Apple employees tell you that story, and give you the guided tour.

An Apple Store employee walks you through the device and its features via a scripted session that takes about half an hour. You'll get walked through Safari, Photos, and a special Apple-produced video demonstrating media prowess of the headset.

A spot-check of the reservation system on the morning of February 6 shows same-day appointments in all of the major metropolitan areas we checked. At the very least, if you get one of these slots to try the unit, it will be a better yes or no litmus test if you're on the fence. You'll get to try gestures, and see the eye tracking and interface.

While Wes Hilliard and I don't have the same opinions on the headset and applicability to today's Apple user, I do agree with one sentiment he's expressed -- this product must be used first hand to understand in full.

What you'll get at that demo is a well-orchestrated demonstration of what the platform excels at. What you won't get is fine details of the product, or tips and tricks for everyday use. Those are best discovered yourself, and from AppleInsider.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    If someone from another country went to the US and bought one, would it work fine with their non-American Apple ID and App Store?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    If you wear hard lenses and can't use glasses (as is my situation), you can't try out the Vision Pro. Before showing up for the 30-minute demo, Apple sends a vision questionnaire, and asks whether you wear lenses. In my case, I wear hard lenses because of my particular eye condition, and glasses don't correct enough to work for me. For that reason, I won't be buying Zeiss lenses, and wouldn't have anyway just to be able to demo the Vision Pro (with no intention to buy it).

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,071member
    longterm said:
    If you wear hard lenses and can't use glasses (as is my situation), you can't try out the Vision Pro. Before showing up for the 30-minute demo, Apple sends a vision questionnaire, and asks whether you wear lenses. In my case, I wear hard lenses because of my particular eye condition, and glasses don't correct enough to work for me. For that reason, I won't be buying Zeiss lenses, and wouldn't have anyway just to be able to demo the Vision Pro (with no intention to buy it).

Not exactly following. You mean you wear "hard lenses" as in hard contact lenses because spectacles won't work for you? And your "hard lenses" on your eyes won't work in a demo?  I too have a vision defect that might interfere with being able to use AVP (one eye is uncorrectable, but necessary for me to get peripheral and stereo vision.) Apple is famous for adaptive technologies, so I'm curious what accommodations might be made in a trial. 
    stevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    The ready availability of appointments to try out the VisionPro is not surprising.   All the YouTubers have made their millions breathlessly "reviewing" the device and using it in horribly inappropriate ways, and developers have received their shipments, so now it is time for the waiting game to see what those developers come up with, and how much cheaper the next version of the thing will be.    I pay no attention to the YouTuber rantings and ravings, it is all about clicks and ad revenue to those people, their opinions matter not in the least.    It is the developers who will make or break the device with what they produce or decide not to produce.  

I have no desire to pay $4000 for a fully kitted out VisionPro, no way, nohow, but I will be watching to see how much the next versions will change in both capability and price.  
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Anilu_777 said:
    If someone from another country went to the US and bought one, would it work fine with their non-American Apple ID and App Store?
    Not yet. They launched with only support for US Apple Store and English support. That will change soon but I would wait until your country is announced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eightzero said:
    longterm said:

Not exactly following. You mean you wear "hard lenses" as in hard contact lenses because spectacles won't work for you? And your "hard lenses" on your eyes won't work in a demo?  I too have a vision defect that might interfere with being able to use AVP (one eye is uncorrectable, but necessary for me to get peripheral and stereo vision.) Apple is famous for adaptive technologies, so I'm curious what accommodations might be made in a trial. 
    Yup. They mean hard contact lenses. I think they cause a reflection with the technology so it’s hard to work around. I know in assistive support you can make it work for one eye and there are other ways to adjust but I’m not totally familiar with the accessibility options in Apple Vision Pro. 

Edit: Apple has a support page

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT214019

“Cosmetic contact lenses aren’t compatible with Apple Vision Pro and should be removed before using the device.

If you use hard contact lenses, it might impact your experience with Apple Vision Pro.”

edited February 7 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,320member
    I doubt AVP will work with my eyes and I’d hate to waste Apple employees time. But I am very curious.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,865administrator
    blastdoor said:
    I doubt AVP will work with my eyes and I’d hate to waste Apple employees time. But I am very curious.
    Best way to tell is try it at the store with one of these appointments!
    robin huberronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    One think I noticed was that the light seal was not perfect around my nose. The guy fitting me asked about it and advised me to shift the strap higher in the back. That helped marginally, but once into the demo I no longer noticed it. Looking at pictures of the unit it is clear that the light seal stops before going over the nose bridge, so I guess a complete seal was never intended. 
    edited February 7 applebynatureronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    One think I noticed was that the light seal was not perfect around my nose. The guy fitting me asked about it and advised me to shift the strap higher in the back. That helped marginally, but once into the demo I no longer noticed it. Looking at pictures of the unit it is clear that the light seal stops before going over the nose bridge, so I guess a complete seal was never intended. 
    I had the EXACT same experience. Tons of light pouring in around my nose and it was suggested to move the strap up which I did, which barely helped. I can NOT imagine that is how it is supposed to fit. I would NEVER buy this thing with a fit like that. Also I had it adjusted extremely tight to minimize the nose gap ever so slightly and that just made the whole thing uncomfortable...and I still had light coming in.

Other than that, I was just generally disappointed by the demo. As an Apple fanboy I had very high expectations and they were absolutely not met. The passthrough was extremely mediocre. The field of view was very small, almost no peripheral vision at all. The only things that I really enjoyed and even made me smile were the immersive video demo and the example home videos in 3D. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronn