The Powerbook 17"

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by TBoxman

My only complaint isn't with the laptop. It's flawless now. It's with iMovie. It doesn't edit quicktime files. They have to be exported as a DV Stream and that loses so much information the resulting image looks fuzzy. I'm working with animation and not video so that may be the problem. It's curious to me that Apple invented QuickTime and now seems to be favoring DV in it's editors. Even Final Cut Express doesn't edit QuickTime, only Final Cut Pro.

To get around this, I was able to save out still frames from the animation, import them into iMovie and make the trasitions there. I exported those and cut and pasted the whole thing together with QuickTime Pro. What a kludge!

TBoxman [/B]

Hi TBoxman...there is a reason why iMovie does not edit Quicktime files...it is a basic video composition no-no. A quicktime file is a DV file with an applied video codec, quicktime. This compresses the video. A key video editing principle to produce great looking video is to NEVER apply a CODEC on top of a CODEC. This will make your video look crummy.
  • Reply 162 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

So you have trouble spelling when you read. What comes to you really easy?

I visualize in 3D space very well. Which helps since I'm an architect. I also love to do 3D animation as part of my job and as a hobby. When I design something, I really can see what it will look like before it's built.

At least I enjoy it.

TBoxman
  • Reply 163 of 166
    Quote:

Originally posted by arondale

Hi TBoxman...there is a reason why iMovie does not edit Quicktime files...it is a basic video composition no-no. A quicktime file is a DV file with an applied video codec, quicktime. This compresses the video. A key video editing principle to produce great looking video is to NEVER apply a CODEC on top of a CODEC. This will make your video look crummy.

I agree. That's why I never import my animations into iMovie. But what I don't understand is why Apple, the inventor of QuickTime, does not offer a iApp or at least a low cost QuickTime editor. Adobe Premiere and After Effects both use the QuickTime format. Apple needs something affordable for us "prosumers" who can not justify $1000 for FCP. At least FCExpress should edit QuickTime files.

I get kinda cracked up a people when they say Apple should build a Mac Workstation for video and animation proffessionals, and that cost is not important for these people. Not true. Take a look at the migration to Linux for these pros so they can take advantage for low cost machines. When you need a render farm to output your work, you want to get the most bang for the buck. In today's economy, every dollar counts, for most everyone, especially animators.

TBoxman.
  • Reply 164 of 166
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TBoxman

I visualize in 3D space very well. Which helps since I'm an architect. I also love to do 3D animation as part of my job and as a hobby. When I design something, I really can see what it will look like before it's built.

At least I enjoy it.!!!!!!!

TBoxman

we often take for granted what comes easy to us. thinking that if its easy for us it must be easy for everybody. this is not true. Stevie Ray Von (one of the best guitar players who ever lived) never had a lesson and could not read music. He played by ear. Part of what makes things be easy is a love for the process of doing such task.

perhaps i will open a thread on creativity
  • Reply 165 of 166
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    *ahem*

Vaughn.

• Reply 166 of 166
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

*ahem*

Vaughn.

god bless you