Best Movie Soundtrack?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Highlander

Blade Runner

Singles

Desparado (movie-bad!, sundtrack--good!)
  • Reply 42 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

What got me curious about all of this was an interview I heard with Chris Douridas on All Things Considered yesterday. The process of how he put together a music score for a film was fascinating.

And I was initially looking for best movie scores, but like skmdc said, it's interesting to hear peoples choices either way.

Speaking of film composers, could anyone have predicted that the frontman of 'Oingo Boingo' would become one of the leading composers of our time?

i was really suprised danny elfman hadn't been mentioned yet, also anne dudley from "art of noise" has done some good work too.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

damn me and my opposable thumbs. i didnt notice that. that's learn me to trust a page search for 'space'.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Desparado (movie-bad!, sundtrack--good!)

desperado? bad? oh man!

desperado is one of my favorites! el mariachi as well.

rodriquez's early indi films are groundbreaking!
  • Reply 45 of 84
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Danny Elfman hasn't written a new soundtrack since the original Batman.

John Williams writes the same score over and over again too, but he's so talented, that it's totally forgiveable (much like the Ramones).
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Danny Elfman hasn't written a new soundtrack since the original Batman.

John Williams writes the same score over and over again too, but he's so talented, that it's totally forgiveable (much like the Ramones).

those are my thoughts exactly, except that i think it's easy to get like that in the score business. i'm sure williams and elfman sit with directors all the time hearing "i want something similar to what you did in the blah blah scene in blah blah."
  • Reply 47 of 84
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Clockwork has some nice songs too. that lighthouse song always surprises me.

And of course..."I'm singing in the rain...KICK!...I'm singing in the rain..KICK!!!!
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

desperado? bad? oh man!

desperado is one of my favorites! el mariachi as well.

rodriquez's early indi films are groundbreaking!

el mariach----I gotta agree, and on that budget! Great film!
  • Reply 49 of 84
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    some still unmentioned:

Menace II society

Blue (european movie)

Amelie

Reservoir Dogs

And Enino Moricone ofcourse. Shame on you for not mentioning him!
  • Reply 50 of 84
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

jean michel jarre is a pioneer of the "big gig" or extravaganza if you will. but he is not a pioneer of the synthesizer.

Sigh. OK, to rephrase...replace the word "synthesizer" with "electronic music". In 1977 when he released "Oxygene" JMJ was one of a small handful of composers using the synthesizer as the main medium for writing and performance....at least commercially anyway.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Sigh. OK, to rephrase...replace the word "synthesizer" with "electronic music". In 1977 when he released "Oxygene" JMJ was one of a small handful of composers using the synthesizer as the main medium for writing and performance....at least commercially anyway.

i didn't have a problem with the word synthesizer, i had a problem with the word pioneer. jean michelle jarre blazed no new trails. mind you i'm not saying he's bad, i was one of the gazillions in the audience in houston.

he's not a pioneer or a trailblazer of synthesizers or electronic music.

he's not a trailblazer of commercializing it either. walter/wendy carlos, tangerine dream, isao tomita, vangelis all sold huge quantities way before jean michel plugged in. i enjoy his music, but he's not a pioneer.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    ibeniibeni Posts: 54member
  • Reply 53 of 84
    DAMN YOU BASTARDS!!!!

I'M ABOUT TO BLOW A HUNDRED BUCKS ON SOUNTRACKS---I NEVER THOUGH IT WOULD COME TO THIS!!!

DAMN YOU ALL!!!!

.....oh yea,

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

DAMN YOU BASTARDS!!!!

I'M ABOUT TO BLOW A HUNDRED BUCKS ON SOUNTRACKS---I NEVER THOUGH IT WOULD COME TO THIS!!!

DAMN YOU ALL!!!!

.....oh yea,

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

"it's DAMN YOU! goddamn you all to hell!"

unless you weren't quoting charlton heston's final scene in "planet of the apes"

• Reply 55 of 84
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Of the scores that have been mentioned above, Taxi Driver (probably my all time favorite), Psycho, Planet of The Apes, Patton, Blade Runner and Jaws all get my vote.

I don't think any of the following have come up yet...

The original Akira score by the Geinoh Yamashirogumi collective was fantastic. I believe its been updated for the re-issue, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Gabriel Yared's score for Betty Blue (37'2 Le Matin for you Francophones) is kind of dated and 80s sounding now, but it still compliments the film perfectly.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly has to be the quintessential Ennio Morricone score.

I don't think soundtracks are nearly as interesting. Too often they end up being little more than cynical reissues of tired old hit records. At their best they are generally just good compilation tapes, although sometimes something a little more worthwhile comes along. Quentin Tarrentino has a good knack of uncovering lost classics. Honorable mentions to Danny Boyle and Wes Anderson for doing this with obscure contemporary artists. The Judgement Night soundtrack was an interesting, albeit poorly executed, experiment (matching up hip-hop and rap with indie and grunge - Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill were the only memorable pairing to come off it). Not as much of a disaster as the movie though. Two of my favorites are Gremlins II (or using 'Angel of Death' by Slayer in a mainstream Hollywood movie) and Funny Games (for most appropriate use of music by John Zorn's Torture Garden - it highlights a scene where the two serial killers are trying to scare a young boy).
  • Reply 56 of 84
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    "lost highway"

is very nice, though
  • Reply 57 of 84
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i wonder if this counts, as it was written for an opera: Tommy by Pete Townshend and the gang. maybe not the best movie (nor opera), but i like a lot of those songs. and his version of "We're Not Gonna Take It" is so very much better than the (different song same name) one by (dee snyder?).

and, while i'm on rock-opera-movies, Roger Waters' The Wall is pretty kickass too. not his best work (imo), but damned wonderful.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Some more:

Hanz Zimmer - Gladiator Soundtrack, beautiful orchestreal score

Run Lola Run Soundtrack, good European techno
  • Reply 59 of 84
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    YESSS!!! "Run, Lola, Run" had an awesome soundtrack...I need to buy that one and the DVD (was a really cool idea for a movie, too).
  • Reply 60 of 84
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

my favorites include:

last of the Mohicans ( good choice alcimedes)

WhOA Alci you thieving whore.