Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 461 of 770
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    You know guys I really do not see a 970 coming out at WWDC or even announced. The technology talked about in some of the developer sessions? Maybe.

I was just looking at the Session calendar (why arn't they using iCal?) and there are only 7 hardware tracks and 17 to be announced tracks...

I don't know...something just tells me we will not hear anything...
  • Reply 462 of 770
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

You know guys I really do not see a 970 coming out at WWDC or even announced. The technology talked about in some of the developer sessions? Maybe.

I was just looking at the Session calendar (why arn't they using iCal?) and there are only 7 hardware tracks and 17 to be announced tracks...

I don't know...something just tells me we will not hear anything...

And just what do you think will fill 17 TBA tracks?
  • Reply 463 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

okay assuming the worst and there is NO stream for the WWDC keynote... are there any backup plans? is anyone here going to the keynote? do any of you have a lappy? how about a cell phone with a camera moto 720 users?

Well, I'll be there, as usual. I've got a cell phone with a camera, but there usually isn't any AirPort access inside the conference rooms (just out in the hallways/lounges/etc.), so I wouldn't be able to send any pictures during the keynote anyways. Besides, I want to bask in the RDF during the keynote, not snap pictures of every slide.
  • Reply 464 of 770
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    BS! That's all I can say. If Apple, and at least one other developer is going to demo just some of the things that I think they will. Steve Job's will have that Keynote streaming online for the world to watch.

I am starting to get excited!!!!!!!
  • Reply 465 of 770
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Apple Australia is now offering big rebates on the LCD displays

17" - $1395 rebate $100

20" - $2695 rebate $300

23" - $4096 rebate $600

Offer good til the end of the financial year which is June 30th.. Clearing stock? or new monitors (case wise) for the new tower shells
  • Reply 466 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    If there are new computer cases, there must be new LCD display cases - to do otherwise would be like wearing polka dots and plaids.

Neon pink polka dots on yellow with Scotch Plaids.

Ohhh, the fashion calamity!

• Reply 467 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member

1995 IBM consent decree ends

On June 9, 1995, a federal judge gave IBM permission to file a motion to end a 1956 consent decree. The decree, which followed an antitrust case, limited the ways in which the company could sell computers. The company argued that the computer industry had changed dramatically in the thirty-eight years since the decree was imposed. IBM argued that the terms of the agreement created higher computer prices for consumers.
  • Reply 468 of 770
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by King Chung Huang

Well, I'll be there, as usual. I've got a cell phone with a camera, but there usually isn't any AirPort access inside the conference rooms (just out in the hallways/lounges/etc.), so I wouldn't be able to send any pictures during the keynote anyways. Besides, I want to bask in the RDF during the keynote, not snap pictures of every slide.

Airport? You're holding a phone. Phones can, among other things, send messages :P

I wonder if that update to Quicktime would let you connect your phone over the airwaves to a Mac running Quicktime Streaming Server... That might work. Any volunteers with a 3G phone?

Amorya
  • Reply 469 of 770
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There was star office talk last year. I dunno what came of that, if Apple used the open source to sort out the mandatory "Office" compatibility that such a suite would need.

The way mail, iCal, Safari, and now Keynote have been rolled out leads me to think that Apple is slowly putting together, app by app, a complete Office killer. But they may hold onto it to see what M$ does first. "Document" would be a great addition, something to include free of charge with every and any mac sold. A good WP should really be a standard offering on just about any computer, "AppleWorks" doesn't cut it. "Document-Works" just might, that is, a great WP tied to a basic spreadsheet/DB.
  • Reply 470 of 770
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes matsu but you are forgetting something!!!!!! Holy crap I just decided to install dev tools yesterday as it was sitting in Applications waiting to be installed, and guess what!!! They ported SimpleText to MacOS X!! Yeeahh!!! Now how needs Office!
  • Reply 471 of 770
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

There was star office talk last year. I dunno what came of that, if Apple used the open source to sort out the mandatory "Office" compatibility that such a suite would need.(snip)

Matsu I completely agree with you. In addition, I would love to see Apple advance the Bochs X86 open source emulator. Apple has been on a "lets optomize and use opensource code and recontribute it to the community" lately and it would only make sense with the recent acquisition of VPC by MS and the legal wall stopping FWB (for now)... the window is open for Apple to make a X86 emu with the 970 in mind.

A@ron
  • Reply 472 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Matthew Rothenberg CONFIRMS(!) 970 (and Smeagol) at WWDC.

64-Bit Macs May Outpace 'Panther'

By_Nick Ciarelli and Matthew Rothenberg

Apple Computer Inc. is nearing the release of desktop systems featuring IBM's 64-bit PowerPC 970 chip, sources report?but a 64-bit version of Mac OS X may lag behind by a month or two.

Sources said that the IBM chip will make its first appearance in a new Power Mac known internally as Q37. However, sources said, Q37 won't ship with a 64-bit version of Mac OS X, limiting OS performance gains in the initial release. Instead, Q37 will launch with a special build train of the current Mac OS X Version 10.2, a k a Jaguar.

This build, code-named Smeagol, will run on the new chip but won't take advantage of many of its key features, including 64-bit support. Sources said Apple's goal for Smeagol is to deliver Mac OS X performance at least "on par" with what Jaguar could achieve on Motorola G4 chips running at the same speed; the move will allow Apple to ship the new hardware before Mac OS X 10.3, a k a Panther, can take advantage of all the new processor's capabilities.

Even before Panther ships, early adopters of the new Mac system should also apparently be able to take advantage of the new processor's fast new front-side bus and cache.

Part of the issue with OS compatibility lies with Mac OS X's compiler, GCC 3, which lacks scheduling support for the PowerPC 970. Apple and IBM are reportedly working to add 970-specific support to the latest version, GCC 3.3. The development effort is proceeding well, sources report, but the compiler isn't yet ready for full use.

While Smeagol will be built using GCC 3.1, Apple plans to compile Mac OS X 10.3 with GCC 3.3. Apple has said it will show off Panther later in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, an event which sources said will also mark Apple's first discussions of the PowerPC 970; it's unclear whether a developer preview will include support for the new chip. Apple does, however, plan to release a 64-bit version of the OS when it ships in September, according to sources

Since the PowerPC 970 is backward-compatible with 32-bit code written for the G4, Apple intends to release Smeagol to fill Q37's software bill until Panther ships, sources said.

Apple's current plans call for wrapping up development of Smeagol within a month or so of WWDC, suggesting that Q37 may ship by August; however, sources were unable to confirm specifics of Apple's release schedule.

Meanwhile, resellers told eWEEK that current models of the Power Mac G4 are becoming constrained in the retail channel, indicating that new pro hardware models are on the way.

eWEEK sources first reported in August 2002 that the Mac maker was working with IBM Microelectronics on the 64-bit PowerPC processor, dubbed the GigaProcessor Ultralite (GPUL). IBM unveiled the chip in October at the annual Microprocessor Forum in San Jose, Calif., at speeds up to 1.8 GHz. Neither Apple nor IBM have commented publicly on whether Apple plans to adopt the chip in its hardware lineup.

The PowerPC 970 shares technology with IBM's Power4 server chip and inherits many of its performance advantages, but is more compact. The chip also supports Vector/SIMD Multimedia Extensions (VMX), a group of 162 instructions that speed data processing and algorithmic-intensive tasks, such as multimedia creation and display.

IBM has said VMX is identical to Motorola's Altivec multimedia acceleration, marketed as Velocity Engine by Apple. Apple and IBM are also reportedly tailoring the chip for a new high-frequency, point-to-point Mac bus dubbed ApplePI, short for Apple Processor Interconnect, that Apple plans to use as a replacement for its current MaxBus.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the reports.
  • Reply 473 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Thanks for the article, Ensign Pulver.

I'd read it earlier on eWeek, and this part intrested me:

Quote:

Apple and IBM are also reportedly tailoring the chip for a new high-frequency, point-to-point Mac bus dubbed ApplePI, short for Apple Processor Interconnect, that Apple plans to use as a replacement for its current MaxBus.

So in other words, ApplePI is Apple's way around the fact that GigaBus isn't shared, like MaxBus is.

Clarification at last!

Well, maybe. I suppose the bus would attach to the 970's companion chip?
  • Reply 474 of 770
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Confirmed by eWeek: PowerMacs, coded Q37, will premiere up to two months before Mac OS X 10.3.

Early September minus two months equals late June, Q.E.D.

Screed

Dammit Ensign!!!
  • Reply 475 of 770
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    must resist... CONFIR.... ah heck

CONFIRMED!!!

so is this why golum named smeagol is on the top menubar of AI?
  • Reply 476 of 770
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    This is also a curious bit:

Quote:

This build, code-named Smeagol, will run on the new chip but won't take advantage of many of its key features, including 64-bit support. Sources said Apple's goal for Smeagol is to deliver Mac OS X performance at least "on par" with what Jaguar could achieve on Motorola G4 chips running at the same speed;...

Even before Panther ships, early adopters of the new Mac system should also apparently be able to take advantage of the new processor's fast new front-side bus and cache.

On par?? Shouldn't the aforementioned front-side bus/cache/RAM/ system bus offer skull-crushing performance without Panther?

That second paragraph makes me question whether the author truly understands what Panther offers versus what the hardware offers on its own.

Screed
  • Reply 477 of 770
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    yea i though that sounded weird too, probably just a mistake. cuz he then says this

Quote:

ven before Panther ships, early adopters of the new Mac system should also apparently be able to take advantage of the new processor's fast new front-side bus and cache.

• Reply 478 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Looks like I will go broke when the Rev B 970 PowerMac arrives

\
  • Reply 479 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    From the eWeek article:

This build, code-named Smeagol, will run on the new chip but won't take advantage of many of its key features, including 64-bit support. Sources said Apple's goal for Smeagol is to deliver Mac OS X performance at least "on par" with what Jaguar could achieve on Motorola G4 chips running at the same speed

Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

On par?? Shouldn't the aforementioned front-side bus/cache/RAM/ system bus offer skull-crushing performance without Panther? [/B]

Agreed, Rothenberg seems uncharacteristically hung up on 64 bit and borderline ignorant of the 970 architecture. Disappointing.

Hey Matt, 64 bit won't make a bit of difference to 99.9% of users. Stop hatin' on poor Smeagol.
  • Reply 480 of 770
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw, this sounds reasonable. The scheduler is an extremely important and CPU-specific portion of the compiler. It's what ensures that you don't get too many bubbles in a pipeline.

The 970's pipeline architecture is quite different than the G{3,4}, and it's easy to believe that bad scheduling based on G4 specs would lead to really really poor performance by the 970. Relatively speaking, of course.