Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 441 of 770
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

January '04 is when this will happen. Apple needs six months to get the bugs out of the initial G5 machines and Panther itself anyway. It's always feast or famine, and the second half of '03 is going to be feast all on its own anyway. The Mac installed base will make Apple tons of cash in the next six months from G5 and Panther sales alone. (If Powerbooks also go G5 before the end of the year then Apple will have a real supply problem.) The irony is they couldn't mount a massive ad campaign aimed at the average Wintel user right now if they wanted to.

Fast forward to MacWorld SF 2004. Apple should have most, if not all of the following in place:

Rev B Power Mac G5s over 2Ghz (All dual? Quads?)

G5 Xserves with meaningful 64 bit apps

G5 flat panel iMacs

G5 Powerbooks

G5 based headless Mac/Cube

G5 eMacs

G4 or Gobi based iBooks

A massively successful iTunes Music Store with 500,000 tracks and full Major and Indie support.

Quark 6 and InDesign 3 (already with bug killing point releases)

FCP 4 Shake 3 and DVDSP 2 (all with bug free point releases)

OS X 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 (again, the bug free version for the masses)

Apple branded Office replacement (Keynote, the rumored Document et. al.)

Launch a massive, no holds barred ad campaign starting with a Macintosh 20th anniversary Super Bowl commercial. Saturate all media with the message that the Mac is a better than Windows, right now, for everyone.

Isnt that a little late to begin a consumer marketing campaign? Its just after the holidays, and people are returning or exchanging gifts. Tax returns wont be in for at least a month for the really early fillers, and the "end of season" sales are capturing the attention of retailers. Honestly the timing of Apples January releases never made much sense to me, other than that is when the trade show is. But the trade show could be moved to another month or so, say the first week of March and August to cathch the back to school crowd with "hot off the press" news, and still have some momentum for the holiday buying season.
  • Reply 442 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Isn't that a little late to begin a consumer marketing campaign? It's just after the holidays...

I've never understood this resistance to Apple's traditional January announcements. The holiday season doesn't need to be hyped, that's why they call it the holiday season. Every manufacturer and retailer in America has inherently higher sales that time of year. It all goes to hell in January which is why Apple announces new products then to spur sales when they're most needed.

Besides, the type of ad campaign Shaktai, LBB and I are talking about is much too massive and prolonged to be concerned with the calendar. We're talking about a fundamental, 24/7 change to Apple's public image.
  • Reply 443 of 770
    Quote:

I've never understood this resistance to Apple's traditional January announcements. The holiday season doesn't need to be hyped, that's why they call it the holiday season.

I tend to agree with that thinking. Apple gets multiple holiday seasons. Doesn't it feel "Christmasy" around here now?
  • Reply 444 of 770
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I remember about a year or so ago they had a little pamphlet they were handing out at the Apple retail stores, regarding the "myths" (cross-platform compatibility, opening other files, networking, popular apps available for Mac, etc.). They also had a section on their website about it.

Did they make a print ad from it and run it in Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and USA Today? You know, publications other than Macworld and Wired that most people actually read in great numbers? No.

I agree. Apple should determine which "myths" are the most prevalent, and then target these myths by advertising.

It does seem that Apple has a good presence with their print ads, and that these ads are much better than TV ads. Perhaps Apple is using different mediums to convey different aspects of the Mac; TV for the "spirit" of using a Mac, and print ads for a better explanation of what a Mac does and why it is better.

Overall I think Apple's marketing isn't as important as their coverage in reviews by newspapers and magazines. It seems like I'm always seeing Macs reviewed in magazines and newspapers, and of course the Macs nearly always are top-rated. IMO this sort of exposure carries more impact than a hundred Jeff Goldblum ads.

What is key for most people I would think is that Apple's ads establish presence. For many people, the status and reputation of a corporation is partially dependent upon it having TV ads in full rotation. This means that the company is a "player" in these viewers' minds, it has the money to buy space in their living rooms. You would be surprised at how many people I talk to who don't even know that Apple exists, or that Apple makes computers that can do anything at all besides some graphic arts work.

Apple isn't going to make ads for US, for the AI community, who all know about the CPU a Mac will use even before the Apple Stores do. These ads are aimed at slightly computer-literate people who use their Wintels daily but don't think about their computer very much, and don't want to. For this group of people, the first step is show them that Apple exists, that they make Macs, and that Macs are computers just like Wintels, and they do similar things. If Apple goes and starts off by telling these people how to import jpgs into iPhoto from their cameras, organize them, do some light editing, then print them out or send away for professional prints....WHOA! That's too much for the average Wintel drone. Doing that much with a Wintel would require lots of work and patience, along with a fair amount of computer knowledge.

First step: Let them know that Apple exists, that they make Macs, and that Macs are computers for doing stuff just like Wintels can do. That's all most people can digest at first.
  • Reply 445 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member

1994 Apple unveils QuickTime VR

Apple Computer introduced QuickTime VR, a multimedia software presenting 360-degree views of scenes, allowing users to zoom in on objects for a closer look. One of the first software products to use QuickTime VR allowed users to "tour" the Starship USS Enterprise: The CD-ROM, called "Star Trek: The Next Generation Interactive Technical Manual," became a best-seller.
  • Reply 446 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "Since this thread is turning into "Why doesn't Apple advertise?", I'll throw in my opinion inspired by the two quality observations above.

There hasn't been an OS based ad campaign for a reason. It's not that Steve "forgot" they have a new OS and people might want to know about it. I swear, do some of you actually think Apple is that dumb?

Apple cannot and should not directly advertise the superiority of OS X until every reasonable argument against it can be refuted. Of course tons of Windows drones will still protest, but Apple has to give the the average user, the press, rational IT departments, Higher Ed and Wall Street a complete picture they can stand behind.

January '04 is when this will happen. Apple needs six months to get the bugs out of the initial G5 machines and Panther itself anyway. It's always feast or famine, and the second half of '03 is going to be feast all on its own anyway. The Mac installed base will make Apple tons of cash in the next six months from G5 and Panther sales alone. (If Powerbooks also go G5 before the end of the year then Apple will have a real supply problem.) The irony is they couldn't mount a massive ad campaign aimed at the average Wintel user right now if they wanted to.

Fast forward to MacWorld SF 2004. Apple should have most, if not all of the following in place:

G5 flat panel iMacs

G5 Powerbooks

G5 eMacs

G4 or Gobi based iBooks

A massively successful iTunes Music Store with 500,000 tracks and full Major and Indie support.

Launch a massive, no holds barred ad campaign starting with a Macintosh 20th anniversary Super Bowl commercial. Saturate all media with the message that the Mac is a better than Windows, right now, for everyone."

Quoter's knackered again. Is it XP? Can't it cope with AI quoting machines? (Can't wait to get on a 2.2 dual gig 970...)

Ensign, a great post. Right on the money. 2004. Apple have 4 billion $ in the bank. Time to open momma's can of 'Whooooop Ass.' We may see the mother of all ad' blitzes. I'd like to see something on the scale of Windows 95. I'd like it to be everywhere. It may be time to do the 'Superbowl' again. And how. Yeesh. Imagine a whole line of G5s? Get me some 'X-grid' software and I'll buy a Mac for everyroom and I can wireless render the hardest, bad-assed Lightwave 3D can throw at me... Superfast Radiosity rendering...drooooool....

All those thinking the G4 is staying around. I suggest you think again. Powerbook/eMac/iMac 2 on a 1.4 .09 970 on a lightspeed bus or a 1.4 gig G4 on crappy bus?

Moto' are out. And they can take their embedded crap with them.

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. There is alot of WWDC excitement about the hardware. But I feel we should be very revved up about the software Apple may have coming down stream. An Apple 'Office' suite that stands up to M$ is just one of the things getting me juiced. And what other iapps have Apple in store? That and the graphic goodness Panther may have in store.
  • Reply 447 of 770
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

'I'm sorry, Dave...you were attempting to erode my market share...I can't let you do that...'

• Reply 448 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

G5 flat panel iMacs

G5 Powerbooks

G5 eMacs

G4 or Gobi based iBooks

Lemon Bon Bon

Lemon, you seem to have forgotten one, potentially huge thing...

iTMS for windows (and Linux?!)

As much as some people will say "No, fsck those winblows users!" It really does make a lot of sense to get this out there soon. It will not only offer a quick (and large) boost to iTMS sales, but it will give a large portion of the windows community a feel for just how good Apple's software design can be. And I'd be willing to bet that the switch campaign would be a whole lot more successful. Up until now, the only real exposure a lot of windows users have had to Apple has been QuickTime for Windows (which doesn't exactly ooze Apple goodness). And the iPod is incredible, but the cost has somewhat limited the number of windows users, and those who have bought it haven't had iTunes to be blown away by. I feel like this could really be the next big step. Offer iTunes with iTMS, amazing iPods, and include a "teaser" CD full of gorgeous QT movies showing the MacOS experience, highlighting the new hardware, Panther, iApps, Shake, etc.

Think for a minute about the potential of including an "Apple Propaganda" CD with every iPod, and a stripped down version with every iTunes for Windows download. Talk about precision targeting!

-cent
  • Reply 449 of 770
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I was totally thinking about that too. Use the iPod and the iTunes Music Store as an awesome Trojan horse to really get inside their heads!

Include a cool "why you SHOULD be using this with a Mac..." CD with every iPod. And when Windows users download iTunes from Apple's site, they automatically get signed up for the Apple newsletter thing.

Just beat 'em over the head until they give in.

• Reply 450 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

No I didn't. Check out all my other posts (the ones I actually put a little thought into...)

I was quoting Ensign by the way. That's NOT my post. I thought Ensign's post was cool enough to repost. Should have quoted source. Beg pardon.

PSCates, I have talked about the idea of the iPod being the 'Trojan Horse' before...especially with the iTunes 4/ music store. iTunes on Windows...gives Wintel users a taste of the Mac software experience. I feel iPod/Music store will be the iron fist in velvet glove Apple are looking for. 4 million downloads and that's just 2% of the marketplace. Extrapolate those figures to Wintel users? Now thas what uhm sayin'. No whut I mean?

And when they come to the Apple store to buy music? They get pounded over the head with the 970/Panther experience! A free 'Hey, Dude, about the Mac' CD would be a nice touch to ship to Wintel users...

Come to poppa...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 451 of 770
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Anybody know if the Apple stores will show the live WWDC keynote by Jobs?
  • Reply 452 of 770
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Anybody know if the Apple stores will show the live WWDC keynote by Jobs?

based on recent WWDCs no.

But ya never know
  • Reply 453 of 770
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    If they really release what they say they will, I think they probably will.
  • Reply 454 of 770
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

If they really release what they say they will, I think they probably will.

Yep - I'd be very surprised (not to mention disappointed) if they didn't.
  • Reply 455 of 770
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

(snip)

Up until now, the only real exposure a lot of windows users have had to Apple has been QuickTime for Windows (which doesn't exactly ooze Apple goodness). And the iPod is incredible, but the cost has somewhat limited the number of windows users, and those who have bought it haven't had iTunes to be blown away by. I feel like this could really be the next big step. Offer iTunes with iTMS, amazing iPods, and include a "teaser" CD full of gorgeous QT movies showing the MacOS experience, highlighting the new hardware, Panther, iApps, Shake, etc.

Think for a minute about the potential of including an "Apple Propaganda" CD with every iPod, and a stripped down version with every iTunes for Windows download. Talk about precision targeting!

-cent

You hit "a nail" on the head. Here's another that I've seen in CompUSA and other Computer Stores ... A WinTel user looking at the cinema wide 23 incher and drooling. Saying that he wishes he could get one for his PeeCee. If Apple could make a PeeCee compatible version with a bundled "teaser" CD that includes the drivers for the wide screen, that would be another "Trojan Horse" with precision targetting. Not quite as good as the iPod one, but why "put all your eggs in one basket".
  • Reply 456 of 770
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

(snip)

And when Windows users download iTunes from Apple's site, they automatically get signed up for the Apple newsletter thing.

Just beat 'em over the head until they give in.

I LIKE IT!! 8)
  • Reply 457 of 770
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Dare we ay "A (pple) OL " mass CD mailing!!!

we dare.
  • Reply 458 of 770
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    okay assuming the worst and there is NO stream for the WWDC keynote... are there any backup plans? is anyone here going to the keynote? do any of you have a lappy? how about a cell phone with a camera moto 720 users?
  • Reply 459 of 770
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

okay assuming the worst and there is NO stream for the WWDC keynote... are there any backup plans? is anyone here going to the keynote? do any of you have a lappy? how about a cell phone with a camera moto 720 users?

I'll probably be in SF come Keynote time but the tix are bit pricey for my blood

Any ADC Premier members not going want to transfer their free ticket to me so I can do live reports from the keynote?
  • Reply 460 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

G5 flat panel iMacs

G5 Powerbooks

G5 eMacs

G4 or Gobi based iBooks

Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

iTMS for windows (and Linux?!)

-cent

That MWSF 2004 prediction up there is mine, but thanks Lemon for liking it enough to repost.

Concentricity, yes I intentionally left out iTMS for Windows as I was trying to list the reasons why Apple could justify switching to anyone, anywhere. You're right though, iTunes for Windows will be a tremendously powerful Trojan Horse (a strategy I'm not a fan of otherwise.) I hadn't thought of leveraging (spamming?) Windows users with a "pitch to switch" via the install CD, etc. It would be wonderfully effective, despite its AOL cheesiness.

One last thing for those who wish to abbreviate. Ensign is my rank, Pulver is my name.

"Captain it is I, Ensign Pulver, and I just threw you're stinking palm tree overboard."