Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 421 of 770
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Just finished catching up on the remainder of this thread. I whole hearted agree, Apple needs the advertising, but spend the $$ effectively, it would be better to have the Full-Spectrum (both H/W and S/W), and especially better "Switcher" Ads as pscates talked about. LBB good suggestion that pscates should let SJ have an earful.

In regards to the old ads, you guys made me dig out the old "mov" files I had of them. Not sure if they're available from Apple anymore. Turns out that I have the snail ad, the steamroller ad, the toasted ad, a Hal9000 ad, the un-pc ad, the shootout ad, and the original think different one.

If they're no longer available from Apple, and somebody wants copies of them, PM me.

I like the snail, the steamroller, and HAL9000.
  • Reply 422 of 770
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    No, I won't be giving Jobs an earful. He might throw something at me!

I do think my Switch ad idea is dead on, however.

It isn't rocket science. What could've been a visual feast was, instead, 30 seconds of people standing there with their hands on their hips and relating rather dull, uninspiring stories.

Didn't exactly get me torqued up or inspired...and I live and breathe this stuff! So imagine what it did for the average PC-using viewer. I'm betting not much, when you get right down to it. Might've piqued some curiosity and caused a visit or two to www.apple.com.

Did it result in any staggering marketshare increase or an overall sense of "Wow, Apple is really going after the Other Side, aren't they? They're taking no prisoners now, boy! Woo-hoo!"

No.

I'd venture to say that we're probably sitting at about the same numbers we were before Switch campaign. What's that quote about the definition of insanity?

Add my idea in and it would've been a lot more "bang for the buck" and could've killed several birds with one stone.

Note to Apple: I really don't need to stare at "regular people" for 30 seconds when you could, instead, be dazzling my eyeballs - and the eyeballs of potential new customers - with your groovy hardware while they're yammering on.

Try again! Film some new ones and just humor me.

• Reply 423 of 770
    Catching pscates' latest post, I was reminded of one missing idea in all these posts of how Apple should make people aware of Macs and why people buy PeeCees.

I really think this is an important one too, because I've heard it many, many times from end users that ask me about what they should buy when getting a new computer.

Here goes: these potential new computer buyers think that they have to get the same architecture that they have at work. So that home can be compatible with what they create at work, and to be able to remotely connect to work from home.

They are surprised to hear that alot of the apps they use at work are already compatible with the mac, and that most of the time connecting to the work network isn't an issue either. I say "most of the time", because sometimes the companies use proprietary S/W that is not Mac compatible.

Apple can have an ad that shows people that there aren't compatability issues with a Mac reading PC files, or vice versa.
  • Reply 424 of 770
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

It's funny to think: just four years ago, every magazine, poster, book, etc. produced on a Mac was done with G3 or below machines.

But as time goes on new software takes up more resources. OSX, photoshop 7 and illustrator 10 take up alot more resources than OS9 and the older versions of adobe software.
  • Reply 425 of 770
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    AppleInsider story here.
  • Reply 426 of 770
    Quote:

No, I won't be giving Jobs an earful. He might throw something at me!

(snip)

Heh, If you change your mind ... wear a helmet and body armor.
  • Reply 427 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

AppleInsider story here.

Thank you Bodhi!
  • Reply 428 of 770
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

AppleInsider story here.

Insert text that was on the poster directly behind muldar's desk here.

hope the source is solid.

only 2.5 more weeks!
  • Reply 429 of 770
    I remember about a year or so ago they had a little pamphlet they were handing out at the Apple retail stores, regarding the "myths" (cross-platform compatibility, opening other files, networking, popular apps available for Mac, etc.). They also had a section on their website about it.

Did they make a print ad from it and run it in Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and USA Today? You know, publications other than Macworld and Wired that most people actually read in great numbers? No.

Did they make a cool, quirky or otherwise memorable commercial for it that really blew these longstanding myths and wrong opinions out of the water, once and for all? No.

Did they bury them on their website, not linked from the front page, where a casual, non-Mac-using visitor mind actually FIND them? Yes.

Did they put them in little pamphlets only handed out at the Apple retail stores where, as we discussed earlier, SO many people are completely unaware of and don't even know exist and, therefore, never GOT these little pamphlets about the "myths"? Yes.

Am I in any way surprised? No.

\

And I really don't want to hear anything about "budgets" and "advertising dollars" and how "Apple has to spend it carefully and smartly...". Apple has plenty, apparently. It's how they're spending it that gets many of us slapping our foreheads. They seem to have little to no trouble throwing it away on campaigns and promos that make little or no difference in the end.

I wish I didn't dig Apple so much, because then all this kind of stuff wouldn't bother me as much as it does.

• Reply 430 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

But as time goes on new software takes up more resources. OSX, photoshop 7 and illustrator 10 take up alot more resources than OS9 and the older versions of adobe software.

I am well aware of that

I'm just saying it in relation to perception and all. I wouldn't expect to run X and Photoshop 7 on an 8600. But, at one point, a 180MHz 604 was the shit and stuff got done and looked great.

It's not like anything pre-970 was the dark ages and we're all about to be unshackled.

• Reply 431 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

AppleInsider story here.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder if that's anywhere near "CONFIRMED"? :P

Would be nice! I'd love to get to the point where I don't have to go "yeah, but..." to various smart-ass PC-using buddies when we're talking about Macs and the potential lameness of their overpriced and underpowered PRO (that being the operative word here) gear (the towers, which I think we can all agree on is the sole weak/lame slice in Apple's pie right now)

Crap, who knows. Maybe by Macworld SF 2004 the PowerBooks will sport this? And what does that mean for the consumer stuff next spring/summer?

In any case, I'm actually more interested in the case redesign. Would LOVE to see some new, modified towers and possible new matching displays.
  • Reply 432 of 770
    Quote:

(snip)

And I really don't want to hear anything about "budgets" and "advertising dollars" and how "Apple has to spend it carefully and smartly...". Apple has plenty, apparently. It's how they're spending it that gets many of us slapping our foreheads. They seem to have little to no trouble throwing it away on campaigns and promos that make little or no difference in the end.

I wish I didn't dig Apple so much, because then all this kind of stuff wouldn't bother me as much as it does.

Actually, like you said ... the part about "Apple has to spend it carefully and smartly..." is the crux of the matter (sorry about you not wanting to hear about it, but it is the root of Apple's Advertising problem).

Apple seems to want the "cutesy" ads, and therefore is NOT spending their advertising $$ smartly or carefully. That's what has me slamming my forehead, because it's already a foregone conclusion that the ads aren't going to be as effective had they been created with insight into what people need to know when making a computer purchase decision. The public needs to be introduced to "why the Mac is better" and then have an incentive to visit an Apple Store in their town (use Newspaper ads to show locations, and Apple's own website to re-enforce the buying locales).

Dang pscates, you got me back onto that soap box.
  • Reply 433 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

It's not like anything pre-970 was the dark ages and we're all about to be unshackled.

:P Yeah. Right.

Bodhi:

'ALRIGHT!'

Lemon Bon Bon

8)
  • Reply 434 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

The iMac wasn't/isn't a "killer product"? On what planet?

The iMac was and is a killer design. However its core technology while sufficient to most average folks needs, isn't the kind of thing you blow your entire budget on promoting. Fact of the matter is that when it comes to computers, the average Joe depends on the recommendations from friends, family members and (sadly) salespeople. The most cost effective method of advertising and gaining market share is word of mouth. Getting the high tech "gear heads" on the bandwagon is actually one of the best ways to grow marketshare because they will sway the decisions of their non-technical family and friends.

Case in point. My aunt in her late 70's and someone who was programming computers and writing binary code before I was even born, wanted a PC. She had Mac because "I recommended it". That computer got a lot of use over the years. It grew old in the teeth and she wanted to get something better. I had moved away and my brother who lived nearby recommended a Windows PC, but only because it was what he knew. He didn't know Macs. In the end her purchase decision was based upon the recommendation of a nearby family member, even though she liked her Mac. My sister wants to buy a new computer for home. What will she buy? A name brand wintel machine, not because of advertising campaigns but because it is what she is familiar with from work and there is no-one nearby to support a Mac sale. Another technology challenged brother just got a computer for home. He was always intrigued by my Macs when I lived nearby, but in the end he got a Windows PC. Why? Because it was what he was familiar with from work and because my other brother recommended it and I wasn't nearby to support a mac purchase. And even my Wintel brother is intrigued by Macs, but he bought what he was familiar with from work, and then sold his daughter on the same.

The best advertising campaign in the world would not have changed any of those buying decisions or millions of others like them. All of them knew before and know still that Apple makes great, easy to use and reliable computers that are innovative. But they buy what they are familiar with or upon other folks recommendations. the difference between choosing Mac or PC was not advertising or price, it was my being 1500 to 3000 miles away and not able to support their buying considerations. Now if my somewhat tech savvy brother had a Mac at work, so that he was familiar with it, then it might have all been another story.

Interestingly, at work, the tech heads (about 40-50 of them out of 600 employees) are mostly paying close attention to Apple and watching to see what they deliver. They are mostly Windows with a few linux users and many are dedicated gamers. They are the folks their family members and many co-workers turn to for computer buying recomendations. At least 50% are intrigued by OS-X and just wating for some high performance hardware to go along with it before taking a more serious look. One in particular has put off buying a new PC because he wants to see what Apple delivers this summer. He has at least 3 less technical family members who are also holding off to see what he recommends. He would buy the tower, but that single tower purchase could easily lead to 3 iMac or iBook sales.

Our Telecom engineer brought his new Powerbook 15" into work. The IT people all hovered around it for a while intrigued. Now they avoid it like a plague. Why? Because OS-X scares them. They are Windows folks and that is what they know and OS-X is poised to upset their entire world. Intrigued and scared at the same time.

Advertising will increase name recognition, but Apple already has good name recommendation. Now they just need the word of mouth recommendations and the hardware to go along with it.

Word of mouth builds or destroys market share. A lot of folks responsible for word of mouth recommendations are watching Apple closely right now. Some have already switched. Sell more of them on the high end and the rest will follow along with their families and friends buying consumer iMacs and iBooks.

Apple will have a big marketing campaign but it will be carefully timed. They won't do anything substantial until the time is right and all the pieces are in place. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Mac. I expect something really, really big because both the hardware and software will be in place across the board.
  • Reply 435 of 770
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

but hopefully we will be unshackeld from the pain of such things as resizing a web brower window in osx. Thats all i'm asking for

it may not be the holy grail for macs of all times but it (hopefully) will be for osx
  • Reply 436 of 770
    Dark Ages? I think the 970 will make any G3 or G4 system seem prehistoric. I think it's that significant. It will be MORE significant than any in the Mac's history. The speed increase looks set to lead the Mac into a new era.

I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 437 of 770
    Quote:

Apple will have a big marketing campaign but it will be carefully timed. They won't do anything substantial until the time is right and all the pieces are in place. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Mac. I expect something really, really big because both the hardware and software will be in place across the board.

This is a shrewd post. Let's face it. 'You've' got a 'great' OS...put it runs like a dog on an ancient G3 processor. Is that really going to get the PC 'tech' Tower fraternity (bunch of girls...) to 'Switch' to the Mac? 'Nice but...'

Before you 'shout your mouth off' you better make damn sure there is no argument about performance. Apple must be pretty confident that not only will the 970 smack the Pentium 4 pretty hard...but that a substantial desktop PPC 'advantage' is upon us. Die shrink and subsequent 980 will more than take care of 'Prescott'.

In short, Apple busts a gut to transition their whole line to IBM's 970 from 1.4-2.5 by early 2004. 'Anniversary Year.'

What you got? The 970 at 2.5 gig in dual/quad? formations running on the best OS out there. Panther. Which, say, blows Xp well and truly out the water and ENDs all comparisons of the two.

Add to that the best part of 70 odd retail stores. iPod and iTunes Music store on Wintel and you've got the perfect bait and switch 'grass roots' machine to do your advertising for you. 'Word of mouth' is a very powerful thing.

Those PSCATES 'tech guys' at work will see a dual 2.5 owns Prescott. You've got an iPod on it. You can buy your music easily via the music store. Once the 'tech guys' get into the 'Power Tower'...then Auntie Gladyss will get one too...or an iMac with a 970 instead of an ancient G4.

That will be part of how Apple will get some growth. When it does the 'Superbowl' it needs to have 'not catch up' but 'blows X86 out the water hardware' out there from top to bottom.

If ever Apple needs to Advertise Blitz...it's next year. When they know they are completely ready. Jag' aint. Their hardware aint. The 970 will change that. The next year is going to be a rollercoaster.

And let's not forget that Apple is also promising a software blitz...which...is just as significant as Apple squares upto M$...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 438 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Before you 'shout your mouth off' you better make damn sure there is no argument about performance.

Since this thread is turning into "Why doesn't Apple advertise?", I'll throw in my opinion inspired by the two quality observations above.

There hasn't been an OS based ad campaign for a reason. It's not that Steve "forgot" they have a new OS and people might want to know about it. I swear, do some of you actually think Apple is that dumb?

Apple cannot and should not directly advertise the superiority of OS X until every reasonable argument against it can be refuted. Of course tons of Windows drones will still protest, but Apple has to give the the average user, the press, rational IT departments, Higher Ed and Wall Street a complete picture they can stand behind.

January '04 is when this will happen. Apple needs six months to get the bugs out of the initial G5 machines and Panther itself anyway. It's always feast or famine, and the second half of '03 is going to be feast all on its own anyway. The Mac installed base will make Apple tons of cash in the next six months from G5 and Panther sales alone. (If Powerbooks also go G5 before the end of the year then Apple will have a real supply problem.) The irony is they couldn't mount a massive ad campaign aimed at the average Wintel user right now if they wanted to.

Fast forward to MacWorld SF 2004. Apple should have most, if not all of the following in place:

Rev B Power Mac G5s over 2Ghz (All dual? Quads?)

G5 Xserves with meaningful 64 bit apps

G5 flat panel iMacs

G5 Powerbooks

G5 based headless Mac/Cube

G5 eMacs

G4 or Gobi based iBooks

A massively successful iTunes Music Store with 500,000 tracks and full Major and Indie support.

Quark 6 and InDesign 3 (already with bug killing point releases)

FCP 4 Shake 3 and DVDSP 2 (all with bug free point releases)

OS X 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 (again, the bug free version for the masses)

Apple branded Office replacement (Keynote, the rumored Document et. al.)

Launch a massive, no holds barred ad campaign starting with a Macintosh 20th anniversary Super Bowl commercial. Saturate all media with the message that the Mac is a better than Windows, right now, for everyone.
  • Reply 439 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Well to kind of bring us back on track, I was just thinking how fun it would be to attend the WWDC keynote this year. Then I thought of 4 really good reasons why I shouldn't.

1. I am not a developer

2. Outside of the keynote, the stuff they are going to be talking about is over my head anyway.

3. San Francisco doesn't interest me as a tourist stop. Been there already.

4. It's expensive, and I would rather save my money to buy a new PowerMac to use rather then just hear about.

Still I envy just a little, all the folks who will be there. If they do announce the 970 based PowerMacs there, then it will be an exciting time. I can just imagine the electricty in the air. -- But of course if we are ALL wrong, and they don't announce anything other then Panther, then it may be a bit of a downer.

Wish I could be there, but then for very good reasons, am glad I won't be. No matter what happens I will probably buy a new PowerMac by Fall. Just hoping it will be something real special.
  • Reply 440 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Well to kind of bring us back on track, I was just thinking how fun it would be to attend the WWDC keynote this year. Then I thought of 4 really good reasons why I shouldn't.

1. I am not a developer

2. Outside of the keynote, the stuff they are going to be talking about is over my head anyway.

3. San Francisco doesn't interest me as a tourist stop. Been there already.

4. It's expensive, and I would rather save my money to buy a new PowerMac to use rather then just hear about.

Still I envy just a little, all the folks who will be there. If they do announce the 970 based PowerMacs there, then it will be an exciting time. I can just imagine the electricty in the air. -- But of course if we are ALL wrong, and they don't announce anything other then Panther, then it may be a bit of a downer.

Wish I could be there, but then for very good reasons, am glad I won't be. No matter what happens I will probably buy a new PowerMac by Fall. Just hoping it will be something real special.

Couldn't agree more (except I have only been to SF once and would love to go there again). I keep thinking about trying to go but then realize that if I spent all that money on the trip, it would be harder to buy a new 970. Besides, I would have to keep my mouth shut so people didn't realize how ignorant I am about programming.