Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 721 of 1072
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    this is bull, if this story really was the case, we would have heard more about it, from other sources. like everyone has said apple would have to make a comment on the matter if it these specs are untrue. the G5 is here, tell the playas to stop hating
  • Reply 722 of 1072
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

In any case, this "Leon" person seems to 'know' several people who confirmed it, and the other members there appear to believe him.

That should read:

In any case, this "Leon" person seems to "know" several "people" who "confirmed" it, and the other "members" there appear to "believe" him.

Considering how responsive Apple has been about getting this info down, they would certianly be responsive in writing up some blurb, however vague, to dismiss this stuff if they could -- that is, if it were not true. The fact that they have not done anything to dismiss this when it's reaching mainstream media outlets speaks volumes. They can't lie about it if it is true, that owuld be equally misleading as letting it go if it isn't. They wouldn't have to say anything about what went wrong, what specific info was wrong, who is to blame or why it happened. In short, they would if they could, but they can't.
  • Reply 723 of 1072
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Well, lemme just translate the first paragraph or so:

Hmm, uh oh. Damn, could've been all BS? No, please no
  • Reply 724 of 1072
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

In any case, this "Leon" person seems to 'know' several people who confirmed it, and the other members there appear to believe him.

There seem to be plenty who disagree. Many people think it's disinformation, as do I.
  • Reply 725 of 1072
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Dorsal M last post was on the 15th March and you can read it here he claims to have some machines which nobody believes....
  • Reply 726 of 1072
    aaronsaarons Posts: 31member
    No, I saw him post this yesterday. At least one moderator replied. I'm positive about this. He said something about powerbooks.

as
  • Reply 727 of 1072
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    People, Apple is a publicly traded company. If this were a hoax and Apple will not have the G5 to deliver for Monday there would be a press release out before breakfast time PST.

I like the conspiracy theory. Not because I actually believe it was done on purpose, but because it would be one hell of a sandbag for the weekend. The conspiracy would make Apple look cruel and crafty and inflate hopes that something else is coming besides the Powermacs and Panther (which there probably will not be).

Where is LBB? I think he's still on page 10; this thread is ridiculous! The SARS spreads less quickly!!!

Screed
  • Reply 728 of 1072
    I'm sure no one will believe me... I have a friend who's an Apple Engineer and I asked him about the G5 specs. He told me the specs listed are wrong. He wouldn't tell me the speeds, all he said is "be prepared to soil your pants, they're even faster!"

You will know on Monday that I'm telling the truth. :-)
  • Reply 729 of 1072
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Sure, Carlos. We believe you.
  • Reply 730 of 1072
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The Federal Trade Commision doesn't allow publically owned companies to post "disinformation." If this was untrue a press release would have been issued by now. All Apple would have to say is "the information briefly posted on our website was incorrect". They have not.

It's obviously a goof by one of the Apple web people, preparing a new layout and accidentally posting it to the web rather then internally.

By Sunday night there will probably be more info, from the usually reliable MacRumors site - they seem to get info at the last minute. In the meantime I'm taking a nap so I can get to the Harry Potter unveiling at midnight. Early reviews say, "brilliant". Hopefully, the new G5 will garner similar response.
  • Reply 731 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Die PC troll Die!

Is that German, like: "Die, Bart, Die"?

Don't be putting the processor in front of the OS just yet. A CPU in hand is worth a Dual on the motherboard, and all that. Don't go counting your megahurtz before they ship. A multi-thread... well, never mind.

I think Apple really wants to be top dog. I think they'll push IBM, and IBM will jump. Up to 5.0 GHz in 2005-ish? <insert evil laughter> Lock and load, baby.

hmm.. 2005 is a long way off, though, isn't it?

never mind.
  • Reply 732 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

I think Apple really wants to be top dog. I think they'll push IBM, and IBM will jump. Up to 5.0 GHz in 2005-ish? <insert evil laughter> Lock and load, baby.

hmm.. 2005 is a long way off, though, isn't it?

never mind.

Well, we will be able to properly define what kind of turnaround we will be able to see from IBM with their next revision.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say 400 - 500 MHz increase every 4 - 5 months.
  • Reply 733 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Sure, Carlos. We believe you.

I'm being DEAD SERIOUS. I have always lurked on these boards but never posted. The first thing I did today is email my friend who works at Apple and I asked if the listed specs are true. He said it's not. He said I better be wearing depends because I will crap my pants. I also asked about dual 17" Pbooks. He said we're good, but not that good.
  • Reply 734 of 1072
    razorrazor Posts: 9member
    Another 64bit = x2 speed article

This is really getting to be an embarrassing media misconception.

Judging by the leaked product spec teaser graphic, I believe Apple won't play on the 64bit issue as a primary benefit of the ppc970. Sure they will make a big splash of it, but not as a headline item. This I believe is wise considering how uninformed people are as to what the significance of 64bit really is. More likely to confuse and unecessarily devalue the G4 which might still be needed for laptops.
  • Reply 735 of 1072
    aaronsaarons Posts: 31member
    Take a look at this:

"Leaked" image posted at ThinkSecret:

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/g5fullpage.html

"Leaked image posted at MacTeens:

http://macteens.com/images/g5.jpg

Notice any difference?

The headers. Any more reason to believe it was real?
  • Reply 736 of 1072
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Don't worry, we'll all know if you and/or your friend is right in less than 3 days.
  • Reply 737 of 1072
    I've gone through nineteen pages of comments and nothing from Lemon Bon Bon. I enjoy his comments all the time! Man, where are you - are you breathing OK?? Let's hear your thoughts man!
  • Reply 738 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Don't worry, we'll all know if you and/or your friend is right in less than 3 days.

Agreed

I've known him for over a year. And I ALWAYS ask him for Mac info and he'll get pissed and tell me to stop asking. The only time he gave me info is when the 17" PBook came out. I emailed him to ask if it's safe to buy the 1ghz TiBook and he told me no, he said there will be one with a larger screen.
  • Reply 739 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos_E

I'm being DEAD SERIOUS. I have always lurked on these boards but never posted. The first thing I did today is email my friend who works at Apple and I asked if the listed specs are true. He said it's not. He said I better be wearing depends because I will crap my pants. I also asked about dual 17" Pbooks. He said we're good, but not that good.

So, at work I'm playing with these new ThinkPad A31p's, and I'm thinking, boy, these are nice machines. 2.0GHz P4M, 15" 1600x1200 displays, ATI FireGL Mobility, and stuff like that. But then I realize that these things are tanks! 2 inches thick, and pushing eight pounds with the CDROM installed, and probably over that with the extra battery you're going to need to run it for any period of time.

Then I realized - what if you took two 17" PowerBooks instead? For only four pounds more, you'd get two 1GHz processors, two 1440x900 displays, two 60GB hard drives, two OpenGL graphics cards - two of everything. All you'd need to bring is a short ethernet cable to cluster them using their Gigabit Ethernet. And for traveling, you could stack them together, and they'd still not be any thicker than the ThinkPad.

So, depending on how you look at it, dual 17" PowerBooks may very well be practical for the serious computer user on the go
  • Reply 740 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos_E

The only time he gave me info is when the 17" PBook came out. I emailed him to ask if it's safe to buy the 1ghz TiBook and he told me no, he said there will be one with a larger screen.

Anybody can predict the future after the fact. You'll earn your credibility on Monday, if you deserve it.

(EDIT: Damn AI's 120-second post restriction ate my post when I hit back!)