• Reply 983 of 1072
    apple job posting for the web publishing manager...hah

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437
  • Reply 984 of 1072
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Yea, didn't that one hit the 30s?

I think we had to go through 45 pages of pure madness.
  • Reply 985 of 1072
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Here is a countdown to the big event
  • Reply 986 of 1072
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Mac Rumors says G5s only prototypes now, prices higher.

"Recent information suggests that the machines will not see full availability until at least August. In fact, machines are said to be in prototype form at this time. The new machines are also said to be at higher price points than the towers they are replacing."

I still think we'll be able to order them starting tomorrow as per the Apple Store leak. What's in the boxes then?
  • Reply 987 of 1072
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by capacity

apple job posting for the web publishing manager...hah

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437

That's too funny (well, maybe not)... any way to tell when it was posted?

Maybe Apple dug up some past job posting and rewrote the first paragraphs as a joke? It just sounds too close to the leak that just happened!
  • Reply 988 of 1072
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    I'm not sure if it has been posted before (well, it is at future hardware, but no one seems to go over there anymore) but this concept site is wicked cool. Some sort of student project (not all videos work). At least there is some originality.
  • Reply 989 of 1072
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

I'm not sure if it has been posted before (well, it is at future hardware, but no one seems to go over there anymore) but this concept site is wicked cool. Some sort of student project (not all videos work). At least there is some originality.

Wow, those QT movies are awesome! I particularly like the display with the glass suspended between the two cylinders.
  • Reply 990 of 1072
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

W = Workstation

I think W = Workstation...

The specs are probably correct for the consumer/prosumer/'lowend' professional machines...

But this new workstation is probably a tower/rackmount configuration...

Might not be available from the Apple Store, might be something you need to get from the same distribution channel that handles Shake sales...

Probably weighs a ton...

Probably minimum of duals, with quad (and hopefully octo) CPU configurations available...

Possibility of the Octo CPU configuration coming in a deskside unit (on casters), a la the old Onyx desksides from Silicon Graphics...

WAY more RAM (since I think the RAM slots are allocated to four per CPU, how that works I don't know), up to 64GB with forthcoming 2GB DIMMs...

Possibility of built-in hardware RAID (S-ATA based)...

Possibility of built-in Fibre Channel...

Definate Pro-level graphics cards - QuadroFXs & FireGLs...

Some 'out in left field' things I personally would LOVE to see...

Pixar 'sells' RenderMan to Apple, Apple becomes software developer/distributor for RenderMan... Windows support drops with RMv12... Linux/Irix support drops with RMv13, soon afterwards RenderMan becomes default renderer for Maya v7...

Apple manages to wrestle A|w away from SGI, Maya Unlimited port to OS X top priority... Windows support drops with Maya v6... Linux/Irix support drops with Maya v7...

Shake drops Linux/Irix support with v4...

Hollywood is run totally on Mac OS X...

Hey, some of it could happen!

;^p

Mac Ronin, I sincerely hope you are right! man that would really kick some ass

and

I'd no longer be underwhelmed
  • Reply 991 of 1072
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Personally, with the way Apple is going with Shake et al, this is the kind of thing I'd expect Apple to be doing. The 970 gives them a lot of latitude. From consumer to uber towers. They don't have to hide behind artificial product crippling anymore.

WWDC would be the venue to announce a 'high-end' creative strategy. Aquisition of something like Xsi or Maya would be a good thing. But I'd doubt SGI will let it go..?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 992 of 1072
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Man,

I go away for the W/E and this thread has imploded.

I should have caught up by next Thursday.

Anyone want to do a summary for me?
  • Reply 993 of 1072
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

In that unfortunate scenario, I predict lots of damage to the plumbing and lighting infrastructure at Moscone. And ample amounts of spilled blood and eye-gouging of any Apple higher-ups present, up to - and including - Mr. Jobs.

You know, general mayhem and lawlessness.

College-aged sports fans aren't the only people who can overturn cars, set stuff on fire and otherwise show their ass when things don't turn out the way they want.

Seconded. I've got bottles of broken Buddies...baseball bats...cabbages, tomatoes, chairs...mindless thugs to start throwing the first punch, bar tables, paper...

All ready to: iRiot! Now that's my kind of 'heavy' no-show hardware pack...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 994 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Seconded. I've got bottles of broken Buddies...baseball bats...cabbages, tomatoes, chairs...mindless thugs to start throwing the first punch, bar tables, paper...

All ready to: iRiot! Now that's my kind of 'heavy' no-show hardware pack...

Lemon Bon Bon

I'd join you but I don't think the wife would like me to trash our house here in sunny Wales as a protest.
  • Reply 995 of 1072
    If I'm to understand things correctly:-

The leaked specs are for a prototype.

There is a mystery computer no one knows about.

The prices will go up.

Could it be that there are indeed a Consumer and Pro version of said 970 desktop and that the iMac will be replaced?

Wasn't there rumoured to be a white and an aluminium version?
  • Reply 996 of 1072
    Can anyone quote Moki on this 'W' thing, I can't seem to find exactly what he said.

Seems to me that the most likely scenario is that Apple's new hardware strategy will be unveiled tomorrow.

It's hard to say for sure if they will announce the desktops tomorrow. Sure they screwed up and a .gif file made its way out early but it's uncertain just how early. I would imagine that who-ever was messing around with the pages was doing so very close to it going live but this is not necessarily the case.

I'm very sceptical about all the case designs I've seen so far. I would imagine that the design of the case is excellent, I haven't really seen an Apple design that ever sucked, even the nasty old dalmation and flower power imacs served the purpose that the design intended (more consumer sales).

I think that just knowing what hardware will be forthcoming and where Apple is taking us with Panther will be very exciting news indeed and this is what Moki is getting at.
  • Reply 997 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carpetfluff

Can anyone quote Moki on this 'W' thing, I can't seem to find exactly what he said.

Seems to me that the most likely scenario is that Apple's new hardware strategy will be unveiled tomorrow.

It's hard to say for sure if they will announce the desktops tomorrow. Sure they screwed up and a .gif file made its way out early but it's uncertain just how early. I would imagine that who-ever was messing around with the pages was doing so very close to it going live but this is not necessarily the case.

I'm very sceptical about all the case designs I've seen so far. I would imagine that the design of the case is excellent, I haven't really seen an Apple design that ever sucked, even the nasty old dalmation and flower power imacs served the purpose that the design intended (more consumer sales).

I think that just knowing what hardware will be forthcoming and where Apple is taking us with Panther will be very exciting news indeed and this is what Moki is getting at.

Having missed the last 15 pages of this thread, can you tell me what has been intimated at?
  • Reply 998 of 1072
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the boxes that have been arriving have to be the new 15.4" PowerBooks. Perhaps the PowerBook will receive a G5 afterall? I am thinking that if the PB gets a G5 it will come into the fold at 1.2 GHz. Then towers will chime in at 1.6 GHz. Just conjecture.
  • Reply 999 of 1072
    And oh by the way, big heavy boxes? The only place that described them that was that friggin french site. Who knows what the dimensions are -- and isn't that a subjective thing. Perhaps they are those of the 30-inch cinema display?
  • Reply 1000 of 1072
    Lastly, 1,000th post!