Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 552
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apple Panther

Now under the edit menu in applications you have, Find, Spelling and Speech.

Is there a new text to speech engine?
  • Reply 22 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Could the new Finder work the way does without some kind of enhancement to the FS...?

Don't know; asking the educated public.
  • Reply 23 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Are there any other tools available for the Finder's toolbar?

Anyway, thanks a lot, Apple Panther.
  • Reply 24 of 552
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Is iPhoto faster?
  • Reply 25 of 552
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    I have 10.2.6 on a QuickSilver. My Finder windows stay under the Dock, my Safari 1.0 windows stay under the dock. But I also have it positioned on the left at the start (hack) (TinkerTools I think). It's obviously not that definitive. Unless I got some strange build of Jaguar.
  • Reply 26 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    To cross-pollinate a bit, even more Panther info is being revealed over here. It sounds incredible. Enjoy.
  • Reply 27 of 552
    headyheady Posts: 18member
    Well, I guess I'll hop in as well.

Anything new in the Finder's preferences?

In the Finder, what do selected items look like? Is the icon darker, like in previous versions of the Mac OS, or is there a rounded gray square behind the icon, Ã* la NeXTSTEP? Does the filename get highlighted too, or just the icon?

-Heady
  • Reply 28 of 552
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Anyone who has panther screenshots hit me up on AIM brainchild2b and I will host them.
  • Reply 29 of 552
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    What happens when you collapse the toolbar in the Finder window? Can you still navigate the Classic Way? If so, do all the windows that are spawned have that sidebar on them?
  • Reply 30 of 552
    Try typing this into Terminal:

Quote:

nm /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder | grep NSApp

If you see any NSApp/NSApplication symbols, you'll probably know it's a Cocoa app. If nothing comes up, it's probably still Carbon.

[edit by Brad -- I made this a quote instead of code so it wouldn't break the thread's formatting. The above command, though, is just ONE LINE and should be entered as such in the Terminal.]
  • Reply 31 of 552
    beigeanbeigean Posts: 10member
    i second Fluffy's request. can you collapse the buttons/sidebar and navigate the Classic way?
  • Reply 32 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apple Panther

Is it possible to switch between Aqua and Brushed Metal? Nope.

btw, did you actually try to hack the Finder nib file to do this, or were you just looking for a switch in the UI somewhere?
  • Reply 33 of 552
    I'm making this the "official" Panther show-off thread.

"Sticky!"

Anyone other than Apple Panther who wants to post some information about or snapshots of the current WWDC build of Panther may do so here as well.
  • Reply 34 of 552
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Simple question...

1 - Switch between two or more users (I can't wait for this feature) have something running and in an unsaved state

2 - Install something that requires a restart (what warnings do you get if any)

3 - At the time the system restarts what happens?

Just wondering if the system does something that I'd just go nuts for... 'save state' shutdown / restart. I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I have to ask...

Dave
  • Reply 35 of 552
    I thought I heard something about not having to use the Go->Connect to Server to browse a network. Does the network icon in the Finder do that, or is it the same as Jag?
  • Reply 36 of 552
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Hmm conflicting reports of Cocoaness courtesy MacNN Forums: some guy got the question mark with the help button in the Finder.
  • Reply 38 of 552
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    how about ftp in the finder?
  • Reply 39 of 552
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    In response to using the Finder the Classic way, this version of the Finder looks closer to the old way (when the button on the right is pushed) AND, get this, it even REMEMBERS window positions like OS 9 used to!! This new Finder feels and reacts like a souped up Classic version (only with Brushed Metal instead of Platinum). Good news for some of you! The spatial Finder is back if you want it to be!
  • Reply 40 of 552
    Can you drag-n-drop to a sub folder in the dock?