iSight. opinions?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ordered yesterday afternoon... holding the iSight right now.

My first impression is OMFG! The packaging is a work of art. The box is a cube shaped book that flips open. One half contains the three plastic mounts and CD. The other half houses the camera, case, and firewire cord. It?s so beautiful that I almost feel bad ripping into the custom fitted plastic bags. I thought only the Japanese elevated packaging to this type of religious experience... but I was wrong.

Upon returning home from work today, I'll erect a shrine-like html tribute. Stay tuned...
  • Reply 62 of 86
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    That's just like the iPod packaging.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    Can someone tell me anything about the different mounts? Is one of them designed for a G3 iMac? I'm considering getting an iSight when my company hands out the next round of quarterly bonuses, and whether I can easily mount it on my machine would be good to know.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    Three acrylic mounts are included in the package. the smallest is a simple plastic groove designed to slide onto the outside of a laptop screen. The other two have a long hollow stem and a round, flat base -- one parallel to the stem, the other perpendicular. Both these bases have a double-sided adhesive disc attached.

The idea is that if you want to attach the mount to a flat surface, like a desk, a shelf or the top of your G3 iMac, you use the flat base. If you want to stick it to something vertical, like the side of a CRT or the back of your LCD, you use the vertical mount.

I'm not wild about the adhesive mounting, although the instructions indicate that these can be pulled off and reapplied two or three times, so maybe it won't damage the back of my LCD.

Also, Apple includes a clear acrylic tube with a cap to store your iSight. This is a great idea since it's small enough to carry in your laptop case but expensive enough to warrant a little extra protection.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    brdocbrdoc Posts: 31member
    Sounds good....

Just a few things...

1. What does it do battery life on a Tibook?

2. The Apple Store at Woodfield has them in stock!

3. I know that this was already posted but... you need a 600 MHZ G3 to make the video portion of the camera work!!

**Eugene** are there any other problems that you have noticed with it? How hot is hot?
  • Reply 66 of 86
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

You must install iChat AV for the iSight to work at all. The iSight does work with QuickTime Broadcaster, so that's a way to record video with it. It doesn't work with iMovie, AFAIK.

If it *needs* ichat why the hell does it cost extra?!

$150 is a lot of cash for a webcam especially if you don't get iChatAV with it.

I think completing the software BEFORE releasing the hardware, then doing a bundle for $120 would have been better - not $175!
  • Reply 67 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

If it *needs* ichat why the hell does it cost extra?!

$150 is a lot of cash for a webcam especially if you don't get iChatAV with it.

I think completing the software BEFORE releasing the hardware, then doing a bundle for $120 would have been better - not $175!

IChat AV is a free download on the Apple site. I ordered mine from MacMall but the guy there later said they had none and didn't expect any until July. I then ordered from the Apple online Store (which I hate to do because I'm charged sales tax). When I told the rep this she immediately took $25 off the price of the iSight! Cool! So now I get it FedEx overnight and still save over the MacMall price using UPS ground.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomster1300

IChat AV is a free download on the Apple site. I ordered mine from MacMall but the guy there later said they had none and didn't expect any until July. I then ordered from the Apple online Store (which I hate to do because I'm charged sales tax). When I told the rep this she immediately took $25 off the price of the iSight! Cool! So now I get it FedEx overnight and still save over the MacMall price using UPS ground.

Nice deal :-)

Yes IChat AV BETA is a free download on the Apple site, but the final version will be $25 With yahoo et al offering free videoconferencing software Apple are shooting themselves in the foot by making it a Panther incentive.

Matsu! We need your logic here!
  • Reply 69 of 86
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Yeah, that's B.S. It should come with the software... or atleast a code to download it for free. I doesn't make much sense other than that they want to bleed the customers for all the money they can get.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    There is no way Apple would ship a final product (iSight) with a beta program (iChat AV). When iChat goes Golden, it should be a safe bet it will be included.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    The iChat A/V iSight combo is going to change everything. It is unbelievably slick, dead simple to set up and use and the quality is nothing short of astonishing. Worldwide phone and video conferencing for free.

This is the first true killer app for switchers. No platform concepts or "Mac vs. PC" philosophies to explain or adopt. No confusing MHz myth or TCO arguments to defend. Just a deal clinching, perfect solution that every single person on the planet can benefit from.

I showed it to a client today and he immediately asked how quickly could he deploy it company wide. When I told him the software was free and the James Bond cameras were only $149, he literally didn't believe me.

Years from now, WWDC 2003 will not be remembered for the G5. It will be remembered for the birth of mainstream videoconferencing.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

I showed it to a client today and he immediately asked how quickly could he deploy it company wide. When I told him the software was free and the James Bond cameras were only $149, he literally didn't believe me.

It's not free software. The Beta is free, but once that expires you have to pay for the app itself or get it "free" with the purchase of Panther.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'll probably buy the little iSight camera...but it'll be sometime after I get my PowerBook, months down the road. But in time for the holidays, for sure!

I wouldn't deprive any of my peeps here the thrill of seeing me dressed as an elf and swigging the 'nog.

• Reply 74 of 86
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Question: if YOU don't have a camera, are you still unable to view others who do?

In other words: I don't have a camera of any sort. Could I still see video of a buddy of mine who does? Or do both parties have to have a camera?
  • Reply 75 of 86
    mclmcl Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Question: if YOU don't have a camera, are you still unable to view others who do?

In other words: I don't have a camera of any sort. Could I still see video of a buddy of mine who does? Or do both parties have to have a camera?

Well, I didn't test that tonight (my iSight arrived today), but there is an option to start a "one-way video chat". Whether the other person needs a camera is unknown.

I can say that, while testing with my wife while the camera was not connected, she could not choose to video chat with me.

On a related note, my wife and I both had Unibrain Fire-i firewire webcams for our Tibooks prior to the iSight. Tonight, I tested the iSight while she used the Fire-i (they both have built-in mics, though only the iSight has autofocus).

The picture quality on the iSight was almost double that of the Fire-i.

Also, we noticed significant delays (both audio and video) while video chatting via Rendezvous, using one of our AirPort Base Stations (we have two: one original, one "snow" 802.11g. We were using the original. The "snow" base station wouldn't have made any difference, as we both only have 1GHz TiBooks, which cannot take advantage of the added 802.11g speed.)

No such delay was noticed while videochatting via AIM.

This will come in handy, as I'm regularly out of the country for extended periods of time (up to 3 months/year), and the quality/speed is paramount.

That said, we keep noticing litle bugs with the new beta iChat (such as a graphics glitch with the smileys pulldown my wife reported to Apple today, or the problem with line-initial non-alphanumerics from non-iChat clients we reported the other day). But so far, no showstoppers.

I'm very happy with the new iChat and iSight. Now, if only all my other Mac-using friends would upgrade to the new iChat and get a camera!
  • Reply 76 of 86
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    iSight -> iPod might be coming, look here:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
  • Reply 77 of 86
    iChat AV--Awesome.

iSight--Wait a few months for 3rd party cameras to show up that can mount on a display like the iSight. Buy them and save $100.

Seriously, that iSight is one expensive mofo. If Steve thinks videoconferencing is suddenly going to take off on Macs because of a $150 WEBCAM, then he's crazy. IF I really needed to do high quality video conferencing in a professional setting, I'd get an iSight---otherwise it's going to be a ~$50 cam.

Very cool talking to Al Gore via iChat at the keynote. Gore is just a down-to-earth mutha, really sad that the Bush Junta gave it to him over a barrell in 2000.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Yet... the iSight should prove quite capable. I can't wait to scare the crap out of my house mate. Ssh in from work and use apple script to say things about what's happening in the room. OMG, I just might fall out of my chair laughing.

Careful not to embarrass him by saying anything like, "Hey, STOP THAT! What, do you want to grow hair all over your hands and go BLIND??!?"

Or, "Quit straining like that, you'll break your back! Hey, how the HELL did you reach it? I wish I could do that!"
  • Reply 79 of 86
    mclmcl Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

iSight--Wait a few months for 3rd party cameras to show up that can mount on a display like the iSight. Buy them and save $100.

The Fire-I already can. That's why I bought it a year ago. $95 from Amazon.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Seriously, that iSight is one expensive mofo. If Steve thinks videoconferencing is suddenly going to take off on Macs because of a $150 WEBCAM, then he's crazy. IF I really needed to do high quality video conferencing in a professional setting, I'd get an iSight---otherwise it's going to be a ~$50 cam.

The iBot must improve the looks of your girlfiend.