New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 873
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

he's wrong.

Not to seem Krass, but how the heck do you know?

-K
  • Reply 102 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I propose a couple of new rules:

1. Anyone who truly doesn't know anything, shut the hell up. And you know who you are...several of you.

2. Those that DO know something, you're required to exhibit - somehow, someway - some sort of proof or backing, as any goober with a mouse and an Internet connection can show up here and say whatever. Not enough to get you busted, but something so we can all happily get on board and let our enthusiasm genuinely build. Otherwise, see #1.

Those that want to speculate, guess, fantasize, offer "what ifs..." and so forth (like I do!), knock yourselves out because that's what makes this particular forum fun. I do it all the time! BUT, out of consideration for the group (and not becoming the despised, resident forum butthead), label your thread or thoughts as such. People will hate you less.

Anyway, where's that PowerBook?

\
  • Reply 103 of 873
    contemptcontempt Posts: 43member
    My guess is that the G5 Powerbook will definitely have a new enclosure. Therefore, why would Apple want to invest and gear up production for a 15.4" Al powerbook? Doesn't make much sense.

Then again, they definitely need a laptop in place that fills the gap between the 12 + 17. I can definitely see upgrades for the 12 + 17 but it just doesn't make much sense for the 15. It sounds like a huge investment for a product which will only have a 6-month life cycle.
  • Reply 104 of 873
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    *** NEWS FLASH ***

Apple is about to announce the successor to the PowerBook G4 line:

the PowerBook G-SEVENTY-TWO!!

It has a 27" screen but folds up like George Jetson's car to fit in your shirt pocket. Data is processed so blindingly fast that it actually completes tasks BEFORE you ask it to. On-board satellite linkages allow communication with orbital relays, facilitating 1,400,628 GB/s wireless communication from anywhere in the world. Also included are built-in Bluetooth, Redtooth, Mauvetooth, Achingtooth, and Root Canal. All this in a solid molybdenum case for ultimate style.

And it has a backlit keyboard.

-K

P.S. I have no factual basis for this announcement.
  • Reply 105 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    In all seriousness, here is the PowerBook availability at the Apple online store:

12" Combo: 1-2 days

12" Super: Same Day

15" 867 MHz: Same Day

15" 1 GHz: 7-10 days

17": Same Day
  • Reply 106 of 873
    bankybanky Posts: 3member
    Don't know if anyone has noticed, but the store is updating at the moment!

This better not be Powerbook updates, my TiBook is on it's way.

Oh, Hi by the way
  • Reply 107 of 873
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

I am almost certain.

WRONG!

• Reply 108 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

WRONG!

• Reply 109 of 873
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    ohhhh... he got told

don't ask, "the you got told" thing is what everyone here in Georgia says, i dont get it though
  • Reply 110 of 873
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by banky

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but the store is updating at the moment!

Thanks for getting my hopes up, banky. As of 2:07pm EST the Apple Store is not down at all.

I know you registered a new account just to post this infuriating message. Bad boy. Go sit in your corner now.

Escher
  • Reply 111 of 873
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by contempt

My guess is that the G5 Powerbook will definitely have a new enclosure. Therefore, why would Apple want to invest and gear up production for a 15.4" Al powerbook? Doesn't make much sense.

Stop making sense.

I've wondered this exact same thing myself but never verbalized it. Add to that the "demand" for an OS 9 PowerBook and it does make you wonder if there even is a 15" Al Book.

Only four words give me any less worry.

"Year of the laptop."

My guess is that an ALBook 15 is coming because the G5 powerbook is more than six months away.

Therefore the ALbook should have a 2 rev lifespan.

MSKR
  • Reply 112 of 873
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Ok ok, Soulcrusher was wrong. So was do we vote as his punishment?

a) He must self-fellate(sp) himself

b)Temporary banishment

c)Allow him to post more baseless predictions

But, to keep this on topic I say, MWNY or Create show or whatever it is called will be the update time for all the PBs. But what the heck do I know. If you guys pay me some cash I'll drive up to Cupertino and rough up some answers out of Apple employees in the local bars.
  • Reply 113 of 873
    cidercider Posts: 14member
    That is for sure a funny coincidence, but the Apple store France is down at the moment. "we are updating it".

No, no, it isn't a new French-made strike. Just for notice, who knows.
  • Reply 114 of 873
    cidercider Posts: 14member
    Well it is back now... with usual specs. Not a big hit for a first post !
  • Reply 115 of 873
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cider

No, no, it isn't a new French-made strike. Just for notice, who knows.

Elle est bonne, et pourtant elle ne fait pas le ménage.

In any case, if the US and French Apple Stores went down, even briefly, today, there's a good chance we'll see something new in the next few days. My hunch is that Apple will wait until after the 4th of July holiday to release the long-awaited PowerBook revisions.

Escher
  • Reply 116 of 873
    mclmcl Posts: 11member
    Well, I was just in the Apple Corporate Store at 1 Infinite Loop. No sign of any activity or upcoming activity. Heck, they didn't even have iSights on hand.

No G5 desktop demo model, either.
  • Reply 117 of 873
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

"Year of the laptop."

Oh my gawd, if one more person says "year of the laptop" I will have an aneurysm. I haven't seen so much dissection of an offhand remark by Steve Jobs since he said "We like to have options" and everyone decided that meant Apple was switching to Intel.

Context, people! When Steve threw out this phrase he was talking about laptop SALES and how Apple was leading the industry in percentage of notebook sales vs. desktops. It didn't mean Apple was going to stun the world by offering portable specs unrivaled in the Windows world.

Spin: "Year of the notebook: we lead the industry in the percentage of portables sold." Translation: "Sales of our relatively-competitive portables have almost equaled the underwhelming sales of our desktop lines."
  • Reply 118 of 873
    Code:

while (powerbook.specifications == powerbook.oldspecifications[yesterday]) {

struct ai_username* user;

struct ai_post* post;

user = ai_create_user(randomname());

post = generate_powerbook_post();

if (ai_post(user, post, FUTURE_HARDWARE) != 0) {

break;

}

}

• Reply 119 of 873
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Oh my gawd, if one more person says "year of the laptop" I will have an aneurysm. I haven't seen so much dissection of an offhand remark by Steve Jobs since he said "We like to have options" and everyone decided that meant Apple was switching to Intel.

Context, people! When Steve threw out this phrase he was talking about laptop SALES and how Apple was leading the industry in percentage of notebook sales vs. desktops. It didn't mean Apple was going to stun the world by offering portable specs unrivaled in the Windows world.

Spin: "Year of the notebook: we lead the industry in the percentage of portables sold." Translation: "Sales of our relatively-competitive portables have almost equaled the underwhelming sales of our desktop lines."

exactly
  • Reply 120 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by bih

So it's the day after tomorrow, and still no new powerbooks. I guess they won't come out until I drop 2 grand for one of the current ones.

Well, do it quick, because I want an updated 17" ;D