New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 241 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by flyhigher

Combo drive 15" powerbook is now shipping same-day. Oh, the torture.

Actually, the Combo drive model has been shipping same-day for a while now. It's the Superdrive model that had changed to 7-12 days shipping about a week ago.
  • Reply 242 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It appears as though nothing is coming out today (I hope I'm wrong...but)

July 16th would be the next opportunity.

Aside from the 7 to 10 day wait for the SuperDrive 1 GHz PowerBook at the online Apple Store, there seems to be something afoot.

Quote:

PLEASE NOTE

Since we're still awaiting information from the manufacturers, specific details about the hardware and software requirements for each of the majors (which we'd hoped to post to this website on July 1st) will be available the week of July 7th. Our apologies for the delay.

That's a link from Berklee College of Music Computer Requirements page. Either they know something is coming out this week (or soon) or they are guessing just like everyone else.
  • Reply 243 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    Guys, when trying to see into the future, get rid of what you want and try to predict what is realistic. I SOOOO want a G5 Powerbook - but it ain't going to happen anytime soon - or else Steve would have announced it at WWDC...

The power consumption of these chips is far more than the marketing document would have you believe. That is the reason for the overdesign of the case, the cooling system and the G5 heatsinks. It's not just for noise issues - the FP iMac and Cube are also very quiet but do not have such overdesigned cooling systems.

Quote:

As stated by Greg Joswiak

Our partnership with Motorola is not going away, G4s are in every other part of our product line. As you can see, [the G5] is not going in a PowerBook anytime soon. Motorola remains very important to us, but IBM is the one that can take us to the next level.

Besides taking the statement at face value, it seems that the "As you can see..." comment is referring to the heat issue...

Take a look at this chart. It extrapolates where the 1 GHz 970 would be based on the EETimes numbers...

As this shows, best case at 1GHz would be around 30W and the power consumption could be more.
  • Reply 244 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    We KNOW, chaz. We?ve talked about this already: no one here with half a brain and some common sense is expecting a G5 PowerBook anytime soon.

We ARE, however, expecting a 15? that is more in line with the 12? an d 17? in terms of motherboard, RAM, enclosure, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, etc.

Forget the G5 PowerBook.
  • Reply 245 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    An updated 15 inch to Aluminum specs is what I'm looking for too. Hopefully, it comes soon and it would be nice to see a speed bumped G4, although I do not know how likely that is with the current G4 and the schedule of the 7457.

It seems that half the people do know and the other half are arguing rather hopefully for the G5 powerbook. I'd love to see it too - just can't see their reasoning - and it just drives me nuts!!!
  • Reply 246 of 873
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Edit: Oops! Just noticed that someone else had already gotten to the Jozwiak quote about the G5 not going into PowerBooks "any time soon". Suffice to say that while Apple is very secretive about new products under development, I don't recall them ever outright lying to cover what they're working on.
  • Reply 247 of 873
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    As for the "year of the laptop", it could mean what everyone is dreaming here, but it could also mean what is discussed in this article.
  • Reply 248 of 873
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    Hello everyone,

I am almost sure that the 12" and 17" AlBooks G4 will not be updated in the Creative Pro conference.

The reason is simple: both machines have been release 3 months from now and Apple introduces new hardware every 4-6 months.

So, my guess, is that Creative Pro will have nothing new in respect to the PowerBook G4 12" and 17".

On the other hand, a new 15" AlBook may appear. There are great chances has we all know.

Best,

jdl.
  • Reply 249 of 873
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

I am almost sure that the 12" and 17" AlBooks G4 will not be updated in the Creative Pro conference.

The reason is simple: both machines have been release 3 months from now and Apple introduces new hardware every 4-6 months.

• Reply 250 of 873
    peperonepeperone Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

both machines have been release 3 months from now

The release date was in January, not sure about the shipping date...
  • Reply 251 of 873
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

As for the "year of the laptop", it could mean what everyone is dreaming here, but it could also mean what is discussed in this article.

It meant that notebook sales will jump up this year, not anything else
  • Reply 252 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by peperone

The release date was in January, not sure about the shipping date...

12 inch powerbooks shipped in January.

http://www.mbsdirect.com/events/pb12gallery.html

So the "it's only been three months" argument is baloney.
  • Reply 253 of 873
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

We KNOW, chaz. We?ve talked about this already: no one here with half a brain and some common sense is expecting a G5 PowerBook anytime soon.

We ARE, however, expecting a 15? that is more in line with the 12? an d 17? in terms of motherboard, RAM, enclosure, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, etc.

Forget the G5 PowerBook.

I'd say that in light of this graphic:

You can go on and forget about G5 iMacs too, at least untill late 2004, but more likely mid-2005.
  • Reply 254 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

You can go on and forget about G5 iMacs too, at least untill late 2004, but more likely mid-2005.

IBM has already stated that a 970 for mobile applications would be available in 1Q 2004.
  • Reply 255 of 873
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

IBM has already stated that a 970 for mobile applications would be available in 1Q 2004.

show us, please
  • Reply 256 of 873
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I'd say that in light of this graphic:

I will bet you $100 that Appple announces a G5 iMac by August 1, 2004. Late 2004 or 2005 is insane.
  • Reply 257 of 873
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    This thread will be correct as some stage

Hmm I am still deciding on what to get as my next machine, but a nice new lappie released soon might help tip the scales.
  • Reply 258 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    PB15SD noted here as shipping 7 to 10 days now sez 5 to 7 days. Maybe the end is near?

The new AlBook 15 has to be within a week or 8 days of being announced, right? Hmmm? Yes? Please??

So many people have been waiting so long for this thing, maybe a bit of a price decrease? The 7457 has to cost less, along with the SD, and maybe the HD costs a little less. I wish Apple'd use that new 7200 rpm 60GB Hitachi. Maybe the new 15.4" LCD could cost a bit less? I don't want to get my hopes up but I'd like to see a nice package of features for $2399. Isn't Al also cheaper than Ti? I'll bet Apple doesn't even have to change a thing in the mobo since the 7457 is pin-compatible. Just pop in a faster chip and a faster GPU, and add a sharper, better display.

This will probably be the last G4 PB. I'll bet the first G5 PB arrives in Feb. using a 1.4 GHz .09µ G5. They can keep the same display and case design but it'll have to have a new mobo. I can't wait for that. My next PB after this one will have a G6. 8)
  • Reply 259 of 873
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

PB15SD noted here as shipping 7 to 10 days now sez 5 to 7 days. Maybe the end is near?

Still says 7 - 10 when I check...
  • Reply 260 of 873
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JediBeavis

12 inch powerbooks shipped in January.

http://www.mbsdirect.com/events/pb12gallery.html

So the "it's only been three months" argument is baloney.

Ok, my mistake.

So, we should expect for sure new machines till mid-July, because the six months are away, right?

Creative Pro is the place where they will announce the updates on the powerbook G4 line or not?

Any bets??

jdl