The clock strikes 5.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The iBook was never about portability, it was an affordable computer for students and people who are realistic about their computing needs.

Every laptop is designed for portability...except the original Macintosh Portable which was 15.8 pounds! lol
  • Reply 22 of 43
    wonderingwondering Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Every laptop is designed for portability...except the original Macintosh Portable which was 15.8 pounds! lol

Yes, but the pc portables at the time were larger, heavier and maintained a phosphor screen the size of my fist. Luggable was an affectionate term.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    I think Apple needs to raise the resolution of the 14" iBook. 1024x768 is way too little for that screen-size. X also likes alot of room to play!
  • Reply 24 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

I think Apple needs to raise the resolution of the 14" iBook. 1024x768 is way too little for that screen-size. X also likes alot of room to play!

The 14" iBook is for visual challenged people. Both when it comes to the function of their eyes and their concept of grace.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Care to back that up, or is that just your opinion?

Info please...
  • Reply 26 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xidius

September will bring us wide-screen iBooks, with a 1.1Ghz G.O.B.I. G3, with Altavec and L3 cache.

- Xidius

i could deal with that...thoguh i want a POWERBook G5 so i dont have to get a POWERMac G5....it feels weird saying that without putting it in quotes
  • Reply 27 of 43
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    The 1.3 Ghz PPC 7457 is announced. It is not shipping.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

September will bring us wide-screen iBooks, with a 1.1Ghz G.O.B.I. G3, with Altavec and L3 cache.

- Xidius

This is what I talked about a week or so ago. Is this a GUESS/OPINION, or do you know something? Label it either way, so we know.

"I think September will..."

or

"I work at [fill in the blank] and I know..."

You're saying some pretty tasty, but far out, things. You'll needlessly get some people torqued up who might not know that what you're saying has little to no chance of happening.

Again: do you truly KNOW this through some secret inside info, OR are you - like us - just guessing, speculating, hoping, wishing, predicting, etc.

Big difference.

We need automatic disclaimers on posts like this...small, italic type: "Theabovepostifopinionandshouldbetakenassuchanycon nectiontorealityisbestdoubted"
  • Reply 29 of 43
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Synergy Now Shipping 7457-powered Boards,

June 27, 2003: Synergy Microsystems, Inc. (Synergy) announced today that it is now shipping evaluation SBCs with single or dual, PowerPC 7457 G4 processors that deliver 1.3-GHz speeds while using under 15W of power per processor.

Known problems with the above paragraph:

-You can't tell from the announcement whether these are evaluation SBCs or evaluation 7547s.

-In any event, what production stage is a product in when a company is "now shipping evaluation" units.

I think the key phrase is "NOW SHIPPING". I take that to mean that the 7457 is real, does what Motorola says it does, is beyond sampling and will be available in mass quantities very, very soon. Apple...I have no doubt...will be first in line when production is sufficient to revamp the ENTIRE powerbook line.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    Quote:

- Xidius

IBM have announced the 750GX.

1) It does *not* have AltiVec.

2) It will be available at the end of the year.

3) It does *not* support L3 cache.

michael
  • Reply 31 of 43
    jaedrethjaedreth Posts: 20member
    Apple since the return of the Steved One, has learned from the mistakes of earlier CEOS, especially in the area of overdiversification.

If the rumor is true about iBooks going to G4, then they would be going to the G4 processors that the PowerBook G4 12" currently uses, and the PowerBooks will likely be updated to a newer Motorola or IBM chip that is not G5.

So we can look forward to up to 1GHz iBooks, and significantly more than that with the new PowerBooks, but they won't be G5. Apple has to have some serious distinction between its consumer and professional product lines, so it might be possible that a high end iBook might have a CTO for a superdrive (with a recommended purchase of a second battery), but it's not going to be a default configuration. Plus they may have faster superdrives on the PowerBooks.

They may want to have the iBooks revamped by early December in time for Christmas, but the Powerbooks still won't be announced til January. And if the iBooks are released first, and have G4 processors, then this will get everyone's hopes up that the PowerBooks will have G5, instead of the new Motorola processor.

Oh well. Death to G3. Death to any architecture that does not support Quartz Extreme. I would personally *like* Panther's system requirements to be that of Quartz Extreme, and thus all the older machines that don't support Quartz Extreme need to buy newer computers to take advantage of all the new features. It's just more technologically sound that way.

Jaedreth
  • Reply 32 of 43
    cidercider Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaedreth

and thus all the older machines that don't support Quartz Extreme need to buy newer computers to take advantage of all the new features. It's just more technologically sound that way.

Jaedreth

Jeeez ! Are you aware that machines just don't renew automatically by their own will ?

Do you know that somebody has to buy them ? That Apple don't give it for free ? What the hell do you care about what computers other people have. It's just too ridiculous.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

Synergy Now Shipping 7457-powered Boards,

June 27, 2003: Synergy Microsystems, Inc. (Synergy) announced today that it is now shipping evaluation SBCs with single or dual, PowerPC 7457 G4 processors that deliver 1.3-GHz speeds while using under 15W of power per processor.

Check this out from http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/31031.html:

Quote:

Extrapolating from Motorola's own figures, the 7457 should consume 30W as 1.4GHz and around 33W at 1.6GHz, based on a 1.6V core voltage.

So it looks like we have some conflicting info. If at 1.3 GHz it only consumes 15W, how could at 1.4GHz it consumer double that? Also, what does a 970 consume at 1.4GHz? Isn't it less than 30W?
  • Reply 34 of 43
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Kupan787:

Motorola offers its processors in three flavors; P, L and N. P is the fastest and least efficient, N is the slowest, but most efficient. The current 1.4 Ghz 7455s, for example, are P models, and run at a core voltage of 1.85.

The forthcoming XPC7447/57 "L" runs at a core voltage of 1.3 V at 1300 mhz, it pulls 16.6 watts. At 1200 Mhz it pulls 15.4 watts.

The Lower power XPC7447/57 "N" runs at a core voltage 1.0 V. At 1067 Mhz it pulls a measly 7.5 Watts. At 933 MHz, it draws 6.5 Watts. At 867, 6.1 Watts.

Motorola hasn't released its specs for the XPC7447/57 "P" but I'd venture with a core voltage of 1.6, that it should be able to easily run at 1.6 Ghz and 1.8 Ghz seems within reach.

I agree with you that the Register's prediction of 30 Watts at 1.4 Mhz and 33 Watts at 1.6 Mhz makes no sense...especially in light of Motorola's claim of 16.6 Watts at 1.3 Mhz. I suspect a typo on the part of The Register. Substitute 20 Watts at 1.4 Mhz, and you get a much more rational increase in Mhz to Watts.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And there you have consumer and laptop chips for the next 12-18 months, and even longer when looking at the iBook and eMac. And that's only at .13u. These things will absolutely sip power .09u.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    If someone could please translate the previous 12-14 posts into plain, everyday "what this really means" English for me, I'd be most grateful.

So what are we looking at here, in a nutshell? Spare me the lower-case "u" and references to microns and wafers and just tell me where things stand.

You're talking to a borderline idiot, so answer accordingly. Do I get a fast, longer-lasting PowerBook or iBook in the next few months or what? THAT'S what I want to know...

• Reply 37 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Where do things stand? From one borderline idiot to another, I think we can safely say that Xidius knows nothing, and that G5's WILL NOT spread with throughout the mac line-up with anything approaching the speed people here expect. Also we know that where many people crave a G5, they will get a G4, albeit a greatly improved one -- Powerbooks and iMacs. Also, whatever future plans IBM has for the G3 WILL NOT figure in any future macs, including the iBook. iBook may get a bumped G3, but it won't see the light of any other desert suns. More likely, you will see a G4 based iBook, and it will be good, and it will sell very well for Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Cool!

BTW, we don't think IBM is going to do other things for Apple? It'll just be that higher-end stuff (G5 and beyond)?

And yes, the iBook does need to get G4'ed ASAP, for many reasons. Most of which have been pointed out by yours truly 5 or 6 times.

Plus, I'd rather have a G4 iBook (tough, durable little bod, superior AirPort reception, overall cooler look and a sweet little price range) than a PowerBook anyway...

The money I'd spend on a low-end PowerBook would buy me the 12" iBook with money left over for RAM, sleeve, AirPort card, etc.

AND, I'd still get to refer to myself as an "iGuy" and lover/user/promoter of all things "i".

• Reply 39 of 43
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You're talking to a borderline idiot, so answer accordingly. Do I get a fast, longer-lasting PowerBook or iBook in the next few months or what? THAT'S what I want to know...

Note: all specualtion on my part, but based on info available here and elsewhere.

PowerMac - we already know it is getting the 970, and will run the path towards a 970+/980/980+/etc.

PowerBook - will get the 970 within the next 2 revs. Meaning there very well could be a G4 upgrade (1GHz/1.2Ghz) and then the 970. Or, Steve may surprise us and plop 1GHz/1.2GHz 970's in powerbooks.

iMac - There is still plenty of G4 head room (400 Mhz at least) for advances. Since the iMac doesn't use duals, a current 1.4GHz G4 7455 could very well appear without all the massive heatsinks/fans needed to cool a dual tower setup. Or it could get teh 7457, if Apple starts using it. I see the 970 creeping in after 2 or more revs.

eMac - Will stay G4 for the short term, but I think jump over to a 750VX/850 once altivec springs up. I dont see this going 970 anytime soon. I also don't see Apple calling the 750GX/850 a G3.

iBook - I think will track along the 750GX/750VX/850 line. I don't see it ever getting a G4, or the 970.

So now for the simple breakdown. I am thinking 1 year from now that the PowerMac (up to 3.0 GHz), PowerBook (up to 2.0GHz), and iMac (up to 2.0GHz) will all be 970s. The eMac (up to 1.5GHz) and iBook (up to 1.5GHz) will be 750VX/850. No more MOT in any of Apples lineup, and a solid range of products.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaedreth

Oh well. Death to G3. Death to any architecture that does not support Quartz Extreme. I would personally *like* Panther's system requirements to be that of Quartz Extreme, and thus all the older machines that don't support Quartz Extreme need to buy newer computers to take advantage of all the new features. It's just more technologically sound that way.

Sorry to have to tell you, but my 750fx-powered iBook with 700 MHz supports Quartz Extreme perfectly.