Panther Requests? (with full details and screenshots from AppleInsider)

Comments

• Reply 441 of 552
    Think of it this way brad: RECOMPILE!

There's nothing saying that they won't have a seperate version for the G5.
  • Reply 442 of 552
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

Unfortunately not.

Press Shift-Command-n, an untitled folder appears that is not editable, then you have to wait a moment before you can hit the return key to make it editable. If you press return too early, you can edit the name for a fraction of a second before the field turns static again. I really don't like it and never did in Jaguar either.

Press the ENTER key not return on any hilited file and you will instantly be able to change the name. It's not a bug once you use the enter key it's a feature.
  • Reply 443 of 552
    I posted this in the Software forum regarding TextEdit's Word compatibility. It seems more appropriate for it to be in this thread. Whatever. Here it is.

Here are two examples of TextEdit and Word.

First, a Word document containing charts, page numbers, etc.

Word is on the left, TextEdit is on the right.

The second is a standard document.

Sorry for the poor quality but I didn't want to screw up thread with giant pics. Full size images be here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactio...dTextEdit1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactio...dTextEdit2.jpg

Oh yeah, if you edit the document with charts and hyperlinks in TextEdit, when you open it in Word you lose all the embedded information and it'll look the same as the document when opened in TextEdit. It works great for standard Word documents though.
  • Reply 444 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCommets

There's nothing saying that they won't have a seperate version for the G5.

And I never said otherwise. You can say the same thing about Microsoft Office or Final Cut Pro or any other app. It doesn't mean squat until we actually see it.

The question was: is Panther 64-bit? The answer is no. The developer preview is not 64-bit.
  • Reply 445 of 552
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    Anyone know about Panther's support for MS mice? what about the MS Bluetooth mouse buttons?

Thanks.
  • Reply 446 of 552
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I triple-dog-dare someone to post another cool Panther screenshot...
  • Reply 447 of 552
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    could someone post some text in Farsi, please?

na
  • Reply 448 of 552
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Anyone know about Panther's support for MS mice? what about the MS Bluetooth mouse buttons?

Thanks.

I used the MS Optical Wheel mouse (five button wired) without a hitch. Panther in the mouse pane has a scroll speed slider, which is really nice and works with all mice, I would assume. I easily assigned Exposé functions to my extra buttons, and USB OverDrive works, too, but it will intercept the call to Exposé... even if there is nothing assigned to the button.

I would assume that once Panther goes GM, they will update and allow Exposé functions, too.

I don't have a bluetooth mouse.
  • Reply 449 of 552
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    One thing about Exposé that I love that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is a subtle and I believe new form of toggle button.

I think most people don't realize that if you press and hold F9, F10, F11 the Exposé actions assigned to those keys will activate on keydown, but then release on keyup.

This is in addition to the typical keyboard toggle style of full keydown & keyup to activate and a second keydown & keyup to deactivate.

It's subtle but cool. Must be some timer involved. And maybe some users might have problems if they press too slowly. So if your Exposé either won't "take" or get's stuck try pressing and holding quicker or slower. There are 2 distinct activation methods for toggles now. I would call one a traditional toggle and the newer one a mulling toggle or glance toggle.

This is really great for mulling over windows or the desktop momentarily.
  • Reply 450 of 552
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagha

could someone post some text in Farsi, please?

na

u can do Farsi text input in Jaguar too, but not Right to Left. The file is saved as RTF and opens fine in Word.

Open a text document, choose Farsi keyboard, and away you go...
  • Reply 451 of 552
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

u can do Farsi text input in Jaguar too, but not Right to Left. The file is saved as RTF and opens fine in Word.

Open a text document, choose Farsi keyboard, and away you go...

That's useless to me. Furthermore, the spacing is incorrect. I had used OS 7/8/9 to produce farsi textbooks. Unless Panther reintroduces this capability, I'm going to need to switch to Windows for part of my work.

na
  • Reply 452 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagha

That's useless to me. Furthermore, the spacing is incorrect. I had used OS 7/8/9 to produce farsi textbooks. Unless Panther reintroduces this capability, I'm going to need to switch to Windows for part of my work.

na

Have you tried Mellel?

Go to versiontracker.com and download it. Just introduced Farsi, Arabic, etc etc. The only REAL WORD PROCESSOR that can.

Great app to boot too
  • Reply 453 of 552
    And btw, sorry to get off Panther topic, Nisus Writer 1.0 has been released with Arabic etc support... even better than Mellel ;-)

back to Panther
  • Reply 454 of 552
    I'm not sure if this is a new feature in Panther or if it was in Jaguar. If it was in Jag then disregard. I digress, you can put your printers icon in the dock so you can just drag files on to it for easy printing.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut2/inactio...rintThingy.jpg
  • Reply 455 of 552
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

...you can put your printers icon in the dock so you can just drag files on to it for easy printing.

Ooo, that's new. The return of desktop printers, but for the Dock. Nice.

Seems like we're down to the dregs here, eh? Just Have to wait for the next developer seed.

Actually, I don't believe my last question was answered, so I'll post it again:

Quote:

How is Full Keyboard Access in Panther? I've heard reports elsewhere that's been enhanced...

From Brad's screenshot, it looks like it's reduced to a single checkbox...? Does that checkbox toggle on and off a group of customizable shortcuts now?

• Reply 456 of 552
    Hi,

I am playing with my copy of Panther and i have discovered this :

- plug a camera in your USB port.

- open Image Capture

- File / Sharing menu

- Check 'Enable Web-Sharing'

- Check 'Share my device'

Now if you have a second mac you can open Image Capture and choose File Browse. (but i don't have a second mac (yet)) and access your camera from the network.

You can also open safari, look in your RendezVous bookmarks

Click on Digital cameras on xxxx's computer

and you get a page where you can download the pic appearantly you can even take photos remotely!!!!

Another great example of Apple's great integration :

image Capture, Rendez vous, Apache, Safari....
  • Reply 457 of 552
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Nice!

Obscure, but nice!
  • Reply 458 of 552
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I have a question about the fax capabilities built into Panther:

Can the Panther Server version act as a faxing server that ties in with the mail server to form a unified messaging solution that ties into Mail on the client side?
  • Reply 459 of 552
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I have a question about the fax capabilities built into Panther:

Can the Panther Server version act as a faxing server that ties in with the mail server to form a unified messaging solution that ties into Mail on the client side?

Uh.... Not sure.... But...

You can Share your fax "printer" on the network and when you receive a Fax you can forward it to a specific mail address.

Hope that helps....
  • Reply 460 of 552
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    InactionMan has won the race to post the next cool Panther screenshot. How ironic.

Thanks, btw. That is indeed a cool feature.