Oracle Shifts Research to India

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Armchair economist dream up numbers to "prove" they are right. Yawn.

And your job is...?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

er thats incorrect ...they are simply overpriced for the avg

indian

i grew up in bombay in the 70's & even then there were

apple II's in some schools & were really expensive

btw what part of india are you in ?

I live in New Delhi.

And I stand by my statement that Apple is essentially absent in India. I have yet to see a single add for Apple, let alone an Apple computer. According to this article, Apple's marketshare in desktop computers in India is 1.5%. (see http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...2/cover1.shtml) And it's less than 1% when you factor in laptops.

As an additional indicator of Apple's lack of attention to India, they have yet to provide unicode support for Devanagari, Gujarati, etc., more than two years after OS X debuted.

I agree that Apple computers are grossly overpriced in India. I believe this relates to high import taxes on finished electronics. Because PC's are generally assembled here by Wirpo, HCL, etc., (rather than imported) they are not subject to the same level of taxation. Hence, few people buy Apple, even if they know where to look.

For example, the Xserve in India costs around 246,000 rupees ($5,200) for the single processor version. Absolutely overpriced compared to the Xserve price (single processor) of $2,799 at the Apple Store (US). See http://www.macnn.com/news/16304

I suppose that some of the IT firms in Bangalore use Macs and elsewhere, but it's not an option for the general population.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Very enlightening. Apple products almost always cost more upfront, but it seems the price in India makes Macs more of a luxury than a viable production machine. If tariffs are to blame, I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

Yet there are some other interesting trends in India as well. Can you comment on the prevalence of open source software and linux? MS server product licensing is quite expensive and I've seen a few stories on how inexpensive hardware and linux are the norm at Indian computer science programs. How are microsoft and other major software houses perceived in India? Is it en vogue to pragmatically use but hate microsoft software at the same time?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    thank you spindler for injecting some thought back into the thread.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Very enlightening. Apple products almost always cost more upfront, but it seems the price in India makes Macs more of a luxury than a viable production machine. If tariffs are to blame, I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

Yet there are some other interesting trends in India as well. Can you comment on the prevalence of open source software and linux? MS server product licensing is quite expensive and I've seen a few stories on how inexpensive hardware and linux are the norm at Indian computer science programs. How are microsoft and other major software houses perceived in India? Is it en vogue to pragmatically use but hate microsoft software at the same time?

Dfiler,

Linux is quite popular in India from what I can tell. As a disclaimer, I'm not in the IT business, but the national newspapers carry Linux articles on a regular basis, so there's no shortage of awareness.

I don't believe that Microsoft carries the Evil Empire catchet here.

And in my last posting of this type, AOL announced yesterday that they would expand their local call center from 1,500 to 1,900 people by year end. Their call center in India is their largest, handling 10 million calls per year. See http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/s...1702151800.htm
  • Reply 46 of 46
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

I live in New Delhi.

As an additional indicator of Apple's lack of attention to India, they have yet to provide unicode support for Devanagari, Gujarati, etc., more than two years after OS X debuted.

er supporting languages is hard enough...supporting all

or even 2% of all the languages in india is a tech persons

nightmare (i code for a living so i know what im talking about)

you & i know how many languages you can hear on a given

day on the street. heck indians are born with atleast 4 or 5

languages in their head

so simply supporting hindi would be a great start (theek hai ?

linux is really taking off too (i havent visited india in

~ 8 years)

i started off on kernel 0.9 before i relocated

& even then there was a good deal of buzz about the os

so i suspect things have drastically changed

grin!~ its still great to see input from different parts

of the planet....

jai hind....