Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    Applke Store in Oakbrook, Illinois still didn't have one as of 5:30 pm. The sales guy sounded pretty dejected on the phone.

Chris
  • Reply 42 of 153
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i'll be visiting john lewis in the UK this lunchtime (and every lunch time from now on). camera phone in pocket to record evidence if they have any...
  • Reply 43 of 153
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    There may be a deception going on. Apple may be ordering store employees to deny having G5's until they are given permission to tell the truth. It may have something to do with a planned simultaneous release of each store's G5 demo unit(s) by the weekend. Just my hunch - an informed hunch.
  • Reply 44 of 153
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by babyalex

Northshore store does not have them yet.

The dude with the mullet at the Northshore clearly stated that they were expecting a shipment of 1.6s that day (it was thursday)
  • Reply 45 of 153
    Maybe Northshore has them today, I didn't call yet.

But they hadn't arrived as of yesterday (Wednesday).
  • Reply 46 of 153
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Called Apple Store Houston Galleria at 11:45 am CST.

Were suppose to ship yesterday. Did not get them in.

Maybe tomorrow or early next week she said.

• Reply 47 of 153
    Boca Raton, Fl. store still has no G5's. What they do have is a display in the window (replacing the iTunes one) with a giant poster cut out of the dual G5 and a plexiglas or lucite stand ready to plunk down a G5. Since the poster shows a dual model I wonder if the one in the window will also be dual, assuming they will be showing it with the side removed. Along the inside lerft front wall is a large banner for the G5 plus Apple Cinema displays running a G5 demo (from G4s, however). The personnel in the store were all dressed in black. How original. Now they can easily trade places with the people down the mall at the Sharper Image. I asked when and they said, "tomorrow". Friday, Sat. and Sun are the busiest days and the sales guy said that all Apple Stores will synchronize on Friday. We'll see.
  • Reply 48 of 153
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    went into a john lewis store here in the uk -- got told they were not expecting their order (even for display) for about 4 weeks...

tsk, we need an apple store here in the uk
  • Reply 49 of 153
    Apple Store Oakbrook Illinois did not have one last night @ 8pm. He said there was a nice big hole in his display where it was supposed to be. He said that people have told him CompUSA in Lombard has one on display. Give me a break, CompUSA before the THREE Chicago area Apple Stores?

Chris
  • Reply 50 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by yanges

Thanks Placebo!

i can not make it till Saturday, but i will be there first thing Saturday morning and maybe beat the crowd...

silly me.....

he said Northshore, not Northridge!!

i just called the Northridge store and told them i heard a rumor they had one, and he just sighed and said I wish

ah well.....

my patience needs some work.....8)
  • Reply 51 of 153
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Apple store in Chicago on Michigan avenue has them. But can't go see them yet :-( It ruined my day. Tomorrow...tomorrow will be better.

No, they don't.

I'm here right now and they don't expect them until Monday or Tuesday.

• Reply 52 of 153
    This is pretty weak.

I can't believe Apples own stores do not have G5's yet.

A travesty in the making.

Sad.
  • Reply 53 of 153
    Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

And lynch mobs grow larger.
  • Reply 54 of 153
    Looks like the first shipments went to University stores. Why Apple had their own stores put up displays when they knew delivery was to be "next week" is beyond me. Ramping up is always a problem of course. There was a report, which I posted on another thread, that Apple was behind in manufacturing and deliveries to Japan would be delayed a month. A bad public relations situation which has been made worse by the attitude of some Apple employees at some stores.
  • Reply 55 of 153
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Applestore SOHO doesn't have them, atleast not for display. They do have big banners up (Introduicng the G5) that I don't beleive were here last week, si I imagine sometime next week or the week after. However, you'd expect them to have some kind of introductory seminar, and I don't see anything advertised.

An employyee just told me they'll have them "hopefully in a week." That's in line with what tekserve is saying, where they're advertising a couple of "Meet the G5" events for Sept 4 and 5.
  • Reply 56 of 153
    No G5's at the Mall of America store in Minnesota today. An Apple Store employee told me that they were supposed to get them yesterday (Friday), and now he was guessing Monday.

The big poster of the G5 internals was up in the front of the store. There's also a spot on one of the display counters set up with a 20-inch display attached to a 15" PowerBook, but the little plastic sign next to the display has the G5 prices and specs on it (i.e., they've already prepared a space for the G5 when it arrives - the TiBook is just a place holder until it gets there).

Soon, very soon, I think . . .
  • Reply 57 of 153
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Our local retailer in Maryland doesn't have them yet but it looks like they will have at least a demo on Wednesday. http://www.mbsdirect.com/ . August 27, 2003 1:00pm to 4:30pm

On August 27th, MBS will be hosting a FREE seminar on Final Cut Pro 4 and DVD Studio Pro. Come in from 1:00pm to 4:30pm, and learn from Apple representatives about their latest and greatest.

We are also working on the possibility of having a G5 demo unit in-store for this Wednesday event! Get your hands on the first 64-bit personal computer!

Please note, we'll also be hosting a Discreet event showing Combustion and Cleaner earlier the same day.

This seminar is free but registration is required. Register now:

http://www.mbsdirect.com/phorm/event-reg-20030827.html

Hopefully this means most stores will have their in also.

reg
  • Reply 58 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by dizziness

Apple Store Oakbrook Illinois did not have one last night @ 8pm. He said there was a nice big hole in his display where it was supposed to be. He said that people have told him CompUSA in Lombard has one on display. Give me a break, CompUSA before the THREE Chicago area Apple Stores?

Chris

This has turned out to be false AS WELL! Called "Randall" the Apple guy at the Lombard CompUSA and he said "Sorry about the confusion, but yeah, we're all holding our breath for the G5s."

If "several people" told the Oakbrook guy they had one, I'll bet they did have one out, but word got out and they took it down since. The politics of this whole thing are amazing, and coupled with the rumors of delays to Japan and Germany because of doors falling off the side of the cases, it has the makings of a *huge* scandal, not unlike the initial delays seen when the G4s were first due to ship. We'll have to all keep eyes closely on this situation.
  • Reply 59 of 153
    Quote:

We'll have to all keep eyes closely on this situation.

I don't know what that means.... are we to look cross-eyed at the world?

No matter, a report out of Germany seems to explain the reason for delays. Although many G5s have shipped out to college/university stores in the U.S., there seems to have been a recall on many G5s because of a problem with the side outside panel not fitting properly or the latch not working. This would seem plausible, particularly when ramping up production with a new kind of case. There were similar problems with the iMacs arm when it first came out. It's unfortunate but the delay would only be a few days or a week I'd suspect.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    Maybe its just me but it seems like a problem with doors falling off would be found before machines left the factory.

Like I said, that just me.