Does your local mac dealer have a G5?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    I just went to the CompUSA here in Santa Barbara, CA and they just got their G5 Demo Yesterday.
  • Reply 102 of 153
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple Store in Boca Raton Fl. has one to play with. Impressive.
  • Reply 103 of 153
    I have never seen a PowerMac G5
  • Reply 104 of 153
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The Salem, NH Apple Store claims to have a demo G5 now, so I'll probably stop by tonight to take a look at it.
  • Reply 105 of 153
    16 boxes of the 1.6 G5's are standing in the University of California San Francisco Computer shop. None on display to play with : (
  • Reply 106 of 153
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

Originally posted by duncantang

I have never seen a PowerMac G5

Careful. You will fall in love at first sight and touch. I had my first encounter in Santa Clara CA last night. You will never go back. It is positively mind altering.
  • Reply 107 of 153
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    The Las Vegas Apple store now has a G5 on display. It is a 1.8 gig model I was told.
  • Reply 108 of 153
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    WAAAHOOOO! Just went to my CompUSA- they now have a 1.6GHz G5 w/ 20"!

All I have to say is this thing is huge! Yeah- its big, but nice to look at.

I checked out some of the specs in the system profiler and it says it has a sony superdrive- which I would assume would be the one that does all formats of DVD-R or DVD+R.

They really didn't have anything on it though to play around with performance- anything seems really fast compaired to my 500MHz iBook.
  • Reply 109 of 153
    Apple Store Southdale (suburban Minneapolis) has one G5 1.6 on the floor. I played with it this morning. The case is an impressive technical achievement.

Hard to tell how fast it is. I brought an audio CD, and ripped it into iTunes, 128k AAC. It ripped the first track at 11.5x, and the last track at 20x - it spent most of its time ripping at about 16x.

The G5 1.6 absolutely ate iMovie 3 alive. Instantaneous Ken Burns effect, very responsive. No indication of any hiccup or slowdown in any aspect of iMovie.

I haven't spent a lot of time with a dual 1.42 G4, but I wouldn't dispute those who claim that the single 1.6 G5 is as faster or faster than the dual G4.
  • Reply 110 of 153
    I went to Nottingham today and guess what? The UK is waiting again!

'G5 Coming Soon.' Yeah. I get that.

Sigh.

American penis envy have I.

Still, another couple of weeks and everything should be in place.

I can't wait to try out the dual 2 gigger on Photoshop!

Patience young lemon...your time will come...and then my pips will explode everywhere!!!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 111 of 153
    ryang5ryang5 Posts: 22member
    Apple Store in Chandler, AZ has a demo 1.8 G5 out on display.

(As of 8-26-2003)
  • Reply 112 of 153
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yargh, they just kicked me off the floor model to do some maintenance and I just got here (Palo Alto)! Meh.
  • Reply 113 of 153
    San Diego Apple Store has a 1.6GHz that you can get your grimey hands all over. Very nice machine, but a lot bigger (taller) and whiter that I thought it would be.
  • Reply 114 of 153
    Apple store in Sacramento had one on the rotating display, but not one you could play with.
  • Reply 115 of 153
    Apple store in SoHo has a 1.8 and a 1.6 on display to play with. I put up the scores on XBench and they came out surprisingly low... I wonder why. (Yes, i made sure nothing else was running)
  • Reply 116 of 153
    joe_itjoe_it Posts: 12member
    Apple Store in Milwaukee WI has a 1.6 On display AND a few in stock!! They also have a 1.8 in the back that they will be putting on display in the next day or so. Pretty cool!!

Joe
  • Reply 117 of 153
    Holy jerkface Palo Alto employee chastised me for downloading and running PSBench and XBench on the G5. Then he wouldn't let me upload the results to my computer.
  • Reply 118 of 153
    Posting now from The Grove. One 1.8 on display, no stock of any models.

Some quick random observations:

iDVD 3 is almost silky smooth on this machine. Dragging in and free positioning QuickTime clips is very acceptable, an action that routinely brings my 1GHz TiBook to its knees.

The Serial ATA hard drive connectors are built into the mounting brackets! Just push the drive in and snap the little black tabs in position and you're done! I assumed the new thin S-ATA cables would be tethered in those little pinch holders like AirPort cables. Drives are rotated 90 degrees so the back of the drive faces you with the door open.

Build quality is off the charts. A small group of PC guys was drooling over it.

I'm waiting for a rev. B myself, but I'm very impressed in person. It's gorgeous.
  • Reply 119 of 153
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Holy jerkface Palo Alto employee chastised me for downloading and running PSBench and XBench on the G5. Then he wouldn't let me upload the results to my computer.

Did you ask permission?
  • Reply 120 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Did you ask permission?

I used to, but I frequent the place so often, most of them practically know me. The thing is, with an unrestricted administrator account and broadband, they should expect people to download apps and run them.