Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 336
    ESCHER,

Thanks for the reply. Isn't it amazing the affect that lighted keyboard has? I didn't think it was such a big deal until i saw it in action. I think i'm going to end up getting the 15 inch with a combo drive. (If i got the 12 inch i could have superdrive but i don't think i'll use it that much.

Ok, i have perhaps a stupid question. I want to use my laptop in my college library or for taking notes in class or on the various airplanes i take throughout the year. Will the extra size of the 15 inch make any of this stuff hard? That gorgeous machine sure as hell is not discreet!

What kinds of situations do you guys use your PBs in?
  • Reply 102 of 336
    Availability is a bit of a prob in Australia at the moment it seems, I wondered down to the local AppleCentre (soon to be not a centre) and no 15"'s to be seen... sigh ....
  • Reply 103 of 336
    Ordered:

12" SuperDrive w/80GB(!)

WOO i'm a happy camper this will be one kickarse portable movie making machine.

The only trouble:

Ship date on or before 13/10/03. Over THREE WEEKS?

Ah well, I'll be happy when it gets here. It's replacing my old 12"/867/SD/60 that was STOLEN about a month or so ago. Now that made me mad..
  • Reply 104 of 336
    Just ordered the stock 15" 1.25 superdrive

Couldn't be happier with what Apple released - its everything I need.

Plan on getting the BT Mouse and Keyboard later to hook it up to my 20" Cinema Display

On a side note how easy / hard is it to replace the stock drive with a faster one down the track? Would an Apple Service Centre do it for me?
  • Reply 105 of 336
    Just ordered the 17 inch, BT mouse and an airport base station.

Oooh...can't wait...ships on oct 8th.
  • Reply 106 of 336
    666666 Posts: 134member
    I've never bought a computer and currently use a borrowed clamshell ibook, so it's 3 years worth of saving and i'm probably going with the 1.25ghz 15", but want to option out of the superdrive. Waste of $350 (aus) i think. Put that into ram and BOOOOM! Nerd freedom here I come!!!! with educational discount it's $4100 australian.

.... lotsa muny...
  • Reply 107 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by cris84

Isn't it amazing the affect that lighted keyboard has?

I know what you mean. Up until Paris , I was heading for the 12" (and an extra £300 in my pocket)... Then came Paris, as I said.

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

The other major draw-back of the 12-inch is the nVidia chip. I don't mind the 32MB VRAM, but I can't stand nVidia.

I don't get this. Why are we all supposed to hate nVidia now?

Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

I ordered the stock 1.25 15" yesterday lunchtime (17th) and it shipped early this morning (18th). Has anyone else in the UK had theirs shipped yet? Seemed early as it was quoting 2-5 days build when I ordered!

My 1.25 15" BTO is still being assembled. There was a hold-up processing my order (Apple Store UK was besieged, apparently), so now my PB might not arrive before I leave for Uni.

\
  • Reply 108 of 336
    Well I gave in:

1.25 Ghz Aluminum Powerbook

512MB RAM in one slot

80GB 4200rpm drive (I have a 200GB FW800 Lacie on the way)

Radeon 9600 obviously

AE

BT

Superdrive

Backlit Keyboard.

Movin from a 667 VGA TiBook so this is a very significant leap for me, especially from the loaner iBook 800 with 128MB RAM I am on now. Now I just have to wait and hope I have no dead pixels.
  • Reply 109 of 336
    Came home today with a Superdrive 15"! The Apple Store 20 minutes down the road from me is holding the PowerBooks they have, so I had to (had, right ) drive 1.5 hours to the Chesnut Hill location. Good thing no one knows that one exists yet because they still had two that weren't spoken for.

I also ended up getting a 30GB iPod for <$400 since it was on clearance, plus $30 student discount.

I've only started playing with my new PB (why does software take soooo long to install?) but I'm loving it already!

So much faster than my 500MHz Rev. A Ti!
  • Reply 110 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Well I gave in:

1.25 Ghz Aluminum Powerbook

512MB RAM in one slot

80GB 4200rpm drive (I have a 200GB FW800 Lacie on the way)

Radeon 9600 obviously

AE

BT

Superdrive

Backlit Keyboard.

Movin from a 667 VGA TiBook so this is a very significant leap for me, especially from the loaner iBook 800 with 128MB RAM I am on now. Now I just have to wait and hope I have no dead pixels.

That's what is coming my way too, FM.

I'm going out to dinner tonite, and it so happens that the restaurant is in the mall that has the Apple Store, so I'm going to slip away from my friends and wife for a few minutes to check out the 15".

Everyone else won't care about it, so I'll have to struggle not to speak of it.
  • Reply 111 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

I'm going out to dinner tonite, and it so happens that the restaurant is in the mall that has the Apple Store, so I'm going to slip away from my friends and wife for a few minutes to check out the 15".

Everyone else won't care about it, so I'll have to struggle not to speak of it.

My friends are the same way. I had to promise my dear mother that I wouldn't buy another Powerbook for at least two years...she worries about my addiction to having the "top dog" of tech so to speak. But yeah, I am going out to the mall today to check out a movie, the same mall that my Apple Store is in. I would just grab one in person, but I need that 512 RAM stick. I am just really worried about dead pixels. I have this fear of getting 2 or 3 smack in the middle of my screen, and I can't return it because it is a custom order. Here's prayin and hopin though. Congrats on your PB machem.
  • Reply 112 of 336
    Well, I guess it's my turn as well...I've been using my trusty Wallstreet II with several upgrades (500 MHz G4, IBM Travelstar 40GB, DVD, etc.). Though I won't be saying good bye to it, my wife wants it....

My only question is if I should buy from my local Apple store or Mac Connection...I would probably buy from Mac Connection, seeing that they have a better deal (upgrade to 1GB of Ram for $100), but I'm concerned about dead and/or stuck on pixels. I don't have any on my Wallstreet II...

Will Apple stores typically allow you to check the display before you leave? I've read at least one post where they did...

Thank you for any assistance.
  • Reply 113 of 336
    The PowerBook 15" SD I picked up today has a perfect screen.

Since I drove so far to buy it, I unpacked it and booted it up right at the genius bar. Of course, this was after I had paid for it (gotta love student discount). They'll let you check it out, but they aren't about to take it back unless there is something heinously wrong with it. If you open it and don't like it, but it isn't broken you'll be paying the restocking fee.
  • Reply 114 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The PowerBook 15" SD I picked up today has a perfect screen.

Since I drove so far to buy it, I unpacked it and booted it up right at the genius bar. Of course, this was after I had paid for it (gotta love student discount). They'll let you check it out, but they aren't about to take it back unless there is something heinously wrong with it. If you open it and don't like it, but it isn't broken you'll be paying the restocking fee.

PBG4 Dude, thank you for the response. So it seems there is no real benefit from getting it from the Apple Store, except that you can check it for defects right then and there. Would save shipping the product back to an online company and working out what is returnable, etc.

Do you know if you can get BTO from your local Apple Store?

Something about being able to check something out infront of the people that sold me something, gives me that warm and fuzzy....

I'll check out my local Apple Store this week. Thanks!
  • Reply 115 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Infoseeker

PBG4 Dude, thank you for the response. So it seems there is no real benefit from getting it from the Apple Store, except that you can check it for defects right then and there. Would save shipping the product back to an online company and working out what is returnable, etc.

Do you know if you can get BTO from your local Apple Store?

Something about being able to check something out infront of the people that sold me something, gives me that warm and fuzzy....

I'll check out my local Apple Store this week. Thanks!

You can't get a BTO from your local Apple Store.

All this dead pixel talk is making me nervous. We have had five portables in this house, and none of them had a dead pixel, or even stuck. I feel like I'm tempting fate.

Went into the Apple Store tonite after we got seated in the restaurant (I had to get some cash from the ATM. Yeah, that's it....). It took me a while to find the 15" powerbook --- I thought it was the 17" at first, I'm so used to my Pismo's size. Verrrrrrry nice, still don't think it looks as nice as the Ti, but all the upgrades, better hinge, etc etc means I have no second thoughts. I heard someone somewhere complain about the display not going back far enough, but it went about 30 degrees off vertical, which is plenty for my stand. It was hot at the back 1/3, underside, but not too hot. The display looked very bright, brighter than the 17 and 12 closeby. The machine looked about 6 months old already, though. I don't know if that is a cause for worry, but I am sure this floor model has gotten some heavy use this week.

I didn't have too much time. My wife knew I'd be up there oohing and aaahhing. I was afraid she'd order squid eyes or something for my dinner, so I hustled back downstairs. Hopefully by this time next week I'll have mine.
  • Reply 116 of 336
    I was really banking on the G5 being announced in Paris, mainly because that's what I wanted for a new laptop.

However, I've decided that the free with a laptop is better than the lack of freedom without one. So I coughed up the money and the 15" top of the line Powerbook is coming my way. I figure I can use this laptop for 6-12 months until the fancy G5 Powerbook comes out.

15" Powerbook (80GB @5400, 1-512MB, Superdrive)

40 GB iPod

HP Printer 5650

Airport Extreme

M-Audio Sonica Theater

Griffin iCurve

Mac Office

Final Cut Express

All for a Sweet Academic Price of $3354... With $300 Rebate

Next on the List is a 30" Cinema display or Movie iPod !!!!
  • Reply 117 of 336
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Well, i've come to the conclusion that your all either rich kids at university or with high paying jobs.

"Ohhh, i'm gonna get me this powerbook to tide me over till the g5 powerbook." You make me sick! I've been saving for nearly 3 years and am about to buy the 1.25 15" and it's so much money, I don't want to have to replace it for years...
  • Reply 118 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

Well, i've come to the conclusion that your all either rich kids at university or with high paying jobs.

"Ohhh, i'm gonna get me this powerbook to tide me over till the g5 powerbook." You make me sick! I've been saving for nearly 3 years and am about to buy the 1.25 15" and it's so much money, I don't want to have to replace it for years...

...or maybe faculty at Universities that occasionally get machines paid for by work. Or professionals that get machines paid for by work. Or adults who can usually rationalize dropping up to $3k for a three-year machine. Or geeks who have no trouble dropping $3k every 18 months or so for toys (and have the disposable income).

I'm in the first group --- it just happens to be "my turn". I could be in the last group, but I have this little commitment called three boys. They are very efficient at sucking up spare dollars.

Believe me, if I actually had to pay for this thing, I'd be stuck hanging out at the Apple Store until I creeped out the staff enough to get banned.
  • Reply 119 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

Well, I'm a university student, so to buy my new AlBook, I sold my TiBook for $1600 and made about 4 grand this summer working as a production assistant for new Bernie Mac film coming out this April. I just had a great high paying job this summer
  • Reply 120 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

Nobody needs to rationalize their means of acquiring anything to you, and you don't need to stereotype anyone here simply because you're financially frustrated.

I think it's terrific you've saved as long as you have ? that takes a lot of discipline ?_and I hope you love your soon-to-be purchased Powerbook and that it was worth the wait. Seriously, God bless.

But you're way out of ****ing line disparaging others whose assumed situation is obviously enviable to you. We make you sick? How ridiculous is that? And based on sub-simple notions of how people can afford certain things, at that. What business is it of yours, really, and why should you care? Everybody making the purchase is getting something they want, and that's cool and really all that matters.

Lighten up, Frances?