iBook G4

Comments

• Reply 121 of 235
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

I've owned a 12' ibook before i sold and upgraded to a 12' powerbook, and you're completely forgetting the wonderful keyboard on the Al powerbook!!

I wasn't forgetting the keyboard... I just don't know what the new iBook's keyboard might be like in comparison. It will almost certainly look different, but it might be nearly the same keyboard in a different color scheme.

One keyboard difference:

Quote:

From the iBook specs:

Built-in full-size keyboard with 77 (U.S.) or 78 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted "T" arrangement) and embedded numeric keypad

Quote:

From the PowerBook specs:

Built-in full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys, 4 arrow keys (inverted "T" arrangement), and embedded keypad

It looks like the PowerBooks have one more key on the keyboard than the iBooks. I'm not sure which key that might be (I thought about the video mirroring key, but that's just a extra use for a function key), but looking at the QuickTime VR images, it's something in the top row. (The omission of the word "numeric" from the PB keyboard description has to be an oversight -- my 12" PB definitely has an embedded numeric keypad. )

Random evil thought: Imagine the howling if the 12" iBook had a lighted keyboard?
  • Reply 122 of 235
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    i was really hoping for 12 inch versions of the faster speed ibooks, but then i realized that this would cannibalize 12 inch PB sales.. Now i still really want one of those sweet aluminum wonders..

Apple delivers again, in my opinion!!!
  • Reply 123 of 235
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

The Radeon 9200 has to be a league better than the GeForce 420 Go right?

Most things are. The GeForce 4 Go 4x0 series are not that much better than GeForce 2 MXs and are probably the rev A 12inch PowerBook's greatest gaming weakness, moreso than a lack of L3 cache.
  • Reply 124 of 235
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

One keyboard difference:

It looks like the PowerBooks have one more key on the keyboard than the iBooks. I'm not sure which key that might be (I thought about the video mirroring key, but that's just a extra use for a function key), but looking at the QuickTime VR images, it's something in the top row.

The PowerBook has F1 through F12 keys and a separate Eject button, whereas on the iBook, the F12 key IS the eject button.
  • Reply 125 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

Apple delivers again, in my opinion!!!

nice sig.

Bulwer-Lytton contest, I presume... which year?
  • Reply 126 of 235
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    For you conspiracy theorists out there, there's no such thing as a G4 without Altivec.
  • Reply 127 of 235
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Uhg....this thread is making my head hurt and my faith in mac users drop

1. It's a G4. don't overanalyze stuff. my god

2. it says iBook G4 on it because they made the transition without a form factor change. When the iMac went G4, the design was totally different. No need to write G4 on it to differentiate it from the previous model.

3. the radeon 9200 is a very strong chip, especially for a laptop in that price range

4. this is not just some hacked update.... uhg

Be happy, these are nice, affordable, and good. what the hell do you people want.

I mean, look at this thread, it actually started with people COMPLAINING that they put a G4 in it and that it would compete with the powerbook. who the hell are you, apple or a user? Because i see no reason for any USER to be complaining about this update.
  • Reply 128 of 235
    ... don't forget: the new 12" 800MHz G4 iBook will actually be slower than the previous 800 MHz iBook G3 iBook for non-Altivec stuff because of the smaller cache. It should perfom comparably to the 800 TiBook which is slower then the 800 G3 iBook for non-Altivec tasks!

I just wish there was the option for a higher resolution screen with the 14" iBook (same DPI as the 12", say 1280x1024), that would make me buy one immediately.

Imagine the 1GHz specs and the higher resolution ... buy, buy, buy, buy ...
  • Reply 129 of 235
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

... don't forget: the new 12" 800MHz G4 iBook will actually be slower than the previous 800 MHz iBook G3 iBook for non-Altivec stuff because of the smaller cache. It should perfom comparably to the 800 TiBook which is slower then the 800 G3 iBook for non-Altivec tasks!

this is a strange comment

1. what doesn't use altivec these days? the core of the OS uses altivec, even if an app doesnt specifically use it, many of the OS calls will benefit in some form

2. The G4 has a stronger FPU

3. things that really arent altivec optimized at all tend to not even need it....and while perhaps technically "slower", the difference is likely unnoticeable.

I expect the benchmarks too bitchslap the iBook G3/800, especially considering the new bus
  • Reply 130 of 235
    I too am wondering why anyone would get a 1Ghz for $200 more than a 933Mhz?????

As was correctly pointed out earlier, a 40Gig to 60Gig HDD update only costs $50 - so does 67Mhz really make you want to dig deep with another $150?

• Reply 131 of 235
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

As was correctly pointed out earlier, a 40Gig to 60Gig HDD update only costs $50 - so does 67Mhz really make you want to dig deep with another $150?

a 1ghz G4 has such a ring to it... I'm sold.
  • Reply 132 of 235
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I like this update a lot. We got decent graphics (my pet peeve) and internal Bluetooth. Both are low-cost but still important, I'd have hated it if either was missing. Apple R&D had their head screwed on right this time, and the new iBook delivers terrific value for money.

Let's take equal configurations of 12" PB and 12" iBook: 256Mb of memory, internal Bluetooth, 40Gb HD.

Powerbook is 1.950,78 euros, iBook is 1.278,00 euros.

That is a difference of 672,78 euros. No way in hell a better keyboard and a 25% speed bump are worth that much. Frankly, they should throw Radeon 9600 into the 12" PB, make the lighted keyboard standard accross the PB line, and then _maybe_ they'd be justified in keeping the 12" PB price where it stands now.

If only Apple would realize they are the last company on Earth to sell a laptop without video spanning (hacking aside). This runs totally counter to Apple's overall policy which is to introduce and make standard new features before the rest of the industry. Also pisses off people who are used to PCs and expect the Mac to be all PC's are, just better.
  • Reply 133 of 235
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kumrabai

it's magic and called psychology.

a speedbump without actually offering a realistic speedbump. apple makes buyers wow about the fact the ibook also reached the 1Ghz line. a speedbump of 100Mhz over last springs 900Mhz G3. but this will actually cannibalise sales of the powerbook 12" and the 933Mhz ibook version if it was priced as low as, say $1399.00. so what apple is saying: if you really want more power: buy a powerbook for $100,00 more or pay for it dearly.

the 14" case of the 933Mhz and 1Ghz G4 ibook is there for a reason: heat. next update sports: a 7447 G4 @ 1Ghz and maybe a little beyond
  • Reply 134 of 235
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Just placed my order: 12" iBook with 60GB hard drive and Bluetooth module.

Feels good...

What happened to the 15" PowerBook you were gonna get?

But yeah, I'm not getting a PowerBook 12" anymore. The only reason I was ever gonna choose that over an iBook is the G4 processor. Now that's gone...

Barto
  • Reply 135 of 235
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    Has anyone noticed that a CD-ROM version is available to educators? Total price of this option = $949. For educators who have only a minimal need to burn CD's, this is a nice option.
  • Reply 136 of 235
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Actually, it seems as though you can downgrade the 14" models to a CD-ROM drive from a Combo drive for a $100 price reduction, even if you're not an educational customer. The 12" can't have its drive custom configured except for the educational model, but the educational 12" CD-ROM one is only $50 less than the 12" Combo (educational price = $999) and it only comes with 128 MB of RAM. That's a pretty nasty hit for just $50 off. It should be $150 less, if the Combo is worth $100 more than the CD-ROM drive, and the extra 128 MB of RAM is worth $50 extra (Apple's price).
  • Reply 137 of 235
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I just picked up a stock 12 inch iBook G4 from Apple Store Soho, it's pretty awesome. Definite speed increase from my iBook 500mhz and the kb feels better, at least to me. I'll post some pics soon.
  • Reply 138 of 235
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Curufinwe

First of all this rocks for most people! Now folks can get a low end ibook with combo drive for 1100 or less if you are a student. This is hugely important psychologically. Students will see an immediate improvement in MP3 ripping times

You mean AAC ripping times!

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmoe

The thing that strikes me is that they seem to have purposely crippled this 12" iBook in terms of processor speed. This is obviously so it doesn't tread into PB territory. But I think it also has to do with trying to push the 14" model which has historically not been a big seller.

They haven't really 'crippled' it. It's just that the range of iBooks is always meant to be cheaper. If they suddenly released a 1.42GHz iBook, well, first of all, it's not (realistically) going to happen for a while, even though they could do it, but secondly, it would be much more expensive than the PB at current. The PowerBooks are just there as a more professional and expensive option. That's my view anyway, feel free to correct me because I'm sure I'm not 100% right..

Quote:

Originally posted by Rewes

Well it´s only matter of days that i´am gonna buy my first mac ever

800MHz PowerPC G4

12-inch TFT Display

256MB DDR266 memory

DVD/CD-RW drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

+40GB Ultra ATA drive and Pather 1000?. Finally a mac that I can afford (I´am a student). I´am so happy

Nice one! Also, congratulations. I so want a laptop!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

These look like sweet machines. If I didn't have all my money busy doing other things right now, I'd pick one up. Still might in 6 months or so.

~ In six months, the way things are going at Apple, you'll be considering a iBook G6..

Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Random evil thought: Imagine the howling if the 12" iBook had a lighted keyboard?

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

A moment of silence please for the G3

Agreed. I leave you now with a stirring image.. May it be remembered, but not used again.. G5.. Mmmm..

Jimzip

• Reply 139 of 235
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RageX

I just picked up a stock 12 inch iBook G4 from Apple Store Soho, it's pretty awesome. Definite speed increase from my iBook 500mhz and the kb feels better, at least to me. I'll post some pics soon.

And it's running Panther?????? <jealous>
  • Reply 140 of 235
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Yup, it is running Panther.