New iBook 12" 800

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    I almost wish I had gone to John Lewis or Micro Anvika, but I wanted the 60gb HB and bluetooth built in, so I had no choice. It really lets down the whole experience. I'll be leaving some 'informative' feedback....
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt FT

I almost wish I had gone to John Lewis or Micro Anvika, but I wanted the 60gb HB and bluetooth built in, so I had no choice. It really lets down the whole experience. I'll be leaving some 'informative' feedback....

Just got off the phone to Apple Customer Support, and apparntly my ibook is still in Holland, and won't be passed over to TNT for final deivery until the weekend (i.e. Monday) and that she could not give an ETA, but hopefully by the end of next week!! I asked if there were some problems and she blamed a backlog in the London and Dutch warehouses. So don't get your hopes up.

Very poor...
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Hey guys,

Don't be desperate, the iBooks are in the area.

I called an official apple dealer last week to put one aside for me when they came in (14", 933 Mhz). Got the call this morning, and I'm typing from it now. I live in Brussels, BE.

Had to laugh when I entered the shop...they didn't even have them on display yet....
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Screen brightness: seems bright enough to me (although, i normally turn it down a couple of notches) and I can only really compare it to my 22" CRT monitor on my desk.

Other points to mention:

heat-wise, there is a slight warm patch on the right hand side of the trackpad (by warm I mean slightly warmer than hand temperature).

Noise: urm, there is none. I haven't heard the fan kick in once since i started using it. The only noisey component is probably when the cd/dvd spins, but then again I'm talking relative to the laptop in general which appears to produce no sound at all.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    updated from original post:

I have had my ibook G4 12" 800 for about 3 weeks now. Ordered it the day after they were released & got it the following week. I removed the 128MB RAM, and installed a 512MB from crucial. I also installed airport extreme card.

It is absolutely GREAT.

It runs very cool, with temperature monitor, the hotest I have seen is 110F. It usually runs around 100-105 with airport on all the time & web surfing / email etc.

Also, it seems to be much faster than my old tiBook 800, but that is probably due to panther.

Overall I am extremely please.

Only 1 thing that bugs me, the case in the front left of the trackpad seems slightly loose and moves about 1/16" if I press down on it.

I have read other reports & this seems to be a common problem.

If it gets looser, or starts to really bug me, I will probably call & send it back to apple.

Other than that, a wonderful little machine!
  • Reply 46 of 48
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I also have that. I guess it could be fixed with a drop if glue. No need to send it in, really.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    I just got my iBook G4 800, I installed airport extreme and 256MB of RAM. Unfortunately it doesn't wake from sleep consistently, and crashes about once a day. Kernel panic etc. Very odd. I reset the PMU, but still not very confident, and Safari seems to crash all the time. Any thoughts?

It may be going back to Apple. It was a refurb, and they keyboard doesn't sit flat at all either, which kinda ticks me off.

-Jason
  • Reply 48 of 48
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    probably bad ram. have it looked at by apple again. never had problems waking from sleep with my ibook g4 800, nor has safari ever crashed.