Drugs and YOU!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I drink at parties and stuff, but I think I'm one of the only people in my school that hasn't done anything else.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Best of luck to the OP. Overcoming any addiction, drugs or else, major or minor, can be difficult. More power to you.

This is a fascinating thread. I don't do drugs, though I do occasionally drink. I don't go in for needles and I won't ever smoke anything, so most of the drugs that are available around here aren't even potentially tempting. But it's interesting to read the other side.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Yup. I was going to mention this as well. I was on a bit of a bender a year or so ago, and when I came to I though I might have a wee problem. So, I joined AA. Didn't have a drop for a couple of months. Then they started going through the steps, that is, a meeting devoted to each step. Well, 1 and 2 went great, but when they got to 3 I flipped. I just couldn't subscribe to that sort of voodoo. Sorry boys...I'm out.

But I have to say, I've never met a group of better people in my life. Good, solid people that would do anything to help you out. I'd recommend AA to anyone.

AA is for quitters.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

LCD used to be my thing. I loved it.

I'm addicted. As soon as Apple makes a 30 inch one I'm buying it. I'll sell my TV to get one.

Seriously though, I have no experience with addiiction. I had to drink for a while to get to sleep in grad school because my idiot doctor wouldn't give me any pain medication for a herniated disc in my neck. Once the physical problem was remedied I had no desire to drink anymore.

I only started drinking again recently because moderate drinking has been shown to be good for your heart. But it's even hard to keep that up. Too much alcohol just makes me feel crappy, so I figure it's just my genetic luck that I'm not predisposed to alcoholism.

I do have to come down from persistant caffeine use slowly or I get headaches. Never tried illegal drugs, but had demoral once for a burn. That stuff is amazing. I ask for it whenever I get seriously hurt as I figure it should be my reward for not using illegal drugs. They don't seem to buy that logic.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Nostro, the best thing for your heart is a glass or so of red wine. The heartier the better. There are some delicious merlots out there. My friends and I are particularly fond of wines from Ecco Domani.

And I was on medical morphine once. Only good thing to come out of having my appendix damn near explode. :-)
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Nostro, the best thing for your heart is a glass or so of red wine. The heartier the better. There are some delicious merlots out there. My friends and I are particularly fond of wines from Ecco Domani.

And I was on medical morphine once. Only good thing to come out of having my appendix damn near explode. :-)

Kirkland do you ever buy wine off of Knox street near the bodum tea store and the Apple store?

Quote:

?Best Cellars Dallas opened recently on Knox Street near Highland Park,? says store manager Joe Nemmers, ?surrounded by some of Dallas' best restaurants and most interesting sidewalks, Best Cellars Dallas is also our first store to feature a wine bar, where we serve a selection of Best Cellars wines by the glass every night, so you can sit, relax and enjoy.? At night, this store adapts a trendy scene aspect.

Link

Fellows
  • Reply 27 of 44
    No, I actually haven't been to that store. I tend to go to Pei Wei down there a lot, though.

I buy wine/alcohol so infrequently that I don't really have a place for it. There's a beverage store on Greenville just south of Southwestern (where I live in the Village) near Movie Trading Company. I don't recall the name of it, though.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    This summer I spent at least 100 dollars US on beer per month. Now, I buy it in keg form so it's a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hey \\/\\/ickes,

Cool that you're willing to take a look at this at a young age.

My experience is that it's not so much about how much or how often, but what drugs and alchohol do for you and to you.

I had plenty of friends who drank and used like me when I was your age, but they were able to moderate or stop when circumstances warranted (i.e. going to college or getting married or a new job, etc.). In other words, when it came time to make a choice they chose more life over more intoxication.

I had to admit, eventually, that I was an alchoholic, because I was unable to make that choice. Drugs and alchohol became the thing I had instead of life.

I don't mean this to be anti-anything, I think that people who are not addicts and alchoholics have the option to enjoy some brain fun and I certainly do not begrudge them for it.

But I will tell you that the process that brought me low enough to seek help was gradual and insidious. Somehow I went from "partying" to being a miserable person cut off from the world, and I really can't say when it happened. Fortunately, when I sought help it was right there (in my case in the form of AA)

If you have questions about how drugs and alchohol are operating in your life, you might check out an open meeting of AA (open to all interested persons, not just alchoholics). Its free, you don't have to declare yourself, you're not obliged to believe anything you hear; but you might get some good information from folks with some hard won experience.

Oh yeah, and if the idea of hanging out with a bunch of "old guys" doesn't sound very appealling, the person that answers the phone for AA in your area can probably steer you to meeting that skews younger.

good luck!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Best of luck to the OP. Overcoming any addiction, drugs or else, major or minor, can be difficult. More power to you.

This is a fascinating thread. I don't do drugs, though I do occasionally drink. I don't go in for needles and I won't ever smoke anything, so most of the drugs that are available around here aren't even potentially tempting. But it's interesting to read the other side.

Thank you.

The drugs available to me here in Toronto are very tempting, and cheep too. I have heard that people in the US and UK pay up to three times the cash for what we get here. This makes me feel proud to be Canadian
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Yeah, but for some reason wine gives me a headache. The data holds up for beers, even small amounts of hard liquor. I used to get a beer in Dallas called Red Elephant which I liked, but they didn't have any last time I was there.

I go for the girlie drinks, ya know, super-sweet stuff. I like Schmirnoff Ice, for instance. I call it "Skittlebrau" (stolen from the Simpsons).

Quote:

My wife had to get a morphine drip after a surgery. She had a bad reaction to demoral, once again illustrating how one can be pre-disposed toward or against a particular addiction. If there was some way of slipping demoral into my food, I'm sure someone could get me physically addicted to it over time.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Good reading mate

God, grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change

Courage to change the thins I can

and wisdom to know the difference
  • Reply 33 of 44
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    I thought I'd chime in. I'm 24, and have drank in streaks since I've been 21. (For the first 21 years of my life, I was making sure my professional career was the goal, and only when I became what I thought was sucessful, did I start relaxing a bit.)

I have tried weed for the first time this summer after avoiding it for so long because I had seen over the years friends get addicted to it and become total idiots, and I must say that having tried weed gave me a fresh perspective on it. First, you can't get addicted to weed unless you have a pretty weak or addictive personality; and second, the friends that I had that I thought were idiots because they were on weed in actuallity were idiots AND were on weed, so the weed had nothing to do with it.

I must say I smoke now about three or so times a month and it's much better than drinking because drinking makes me feel like crap. And, as a gym rat, I'm pretty against drinking or eating anything that makes me feel like crap (most of the time hehe). However, I've learned not to smoke in the afternoon and save it for night time because once you smoke, you just lose all motivation to do anything! So, I smoke and I drink, and I prefer to smoke, but I do it in a controlled way and I keep my body in tip top shape.

Anyway, good on ya about deciding to take control even though you're young enough to live through most of your mistakes: that shows character, and you should never lose your discipline.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

Yeah, but for some reason wine gives me a headache.

It's the sulfites.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

AA is for quitters.

Oh, and congratulations on your 666th post.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    edit: my unremarkable history with recreational drugs. just say no, \\/\\/.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

In other words, when it came time to make a choice they chose more life over more intoxication.

i'm sorry, i can't help thinking of trainspotting when i read that. pardon the brazenly terrible message and naughty words, but for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen it or can't remember:

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a big fucking television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electric tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage payments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite and higher purchase a wide range of fucking fabrics. Choose D.I.Y. and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting in a large couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows stuffing fucking junk food in your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish fucked-up brats you've sworn to replace yourself. Choose your future, choose life. But why would you want to do a thing like that? I choose not to choose life. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got heroin?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

It's the sulfites.

That does ring a bell, actually. So do they make wines without sulfites?
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Oh, and congratulations on your 666th post.

thank you, i'll be here all week. try the veal. tip your bartender.

as for the topic at hand, i wonder if how early you start using has an adverse effect on how hard it is for an individual to moderate or stop using drugs. myself, i didn't really start drinking to get drunk until i was a senior in high school and i didn't try the wacky weed until my freshman year of college. it has never been an issue for me, even when i was doing lots of that king of stuff years ago. i don't do much of that now, outside of occasional drinking, but if offered, i would probably smoke some weed, drop some acid (maybe), and eat some shrooms (i love shrooms a lot). but on the other hand if it doesn't come my way, i wouldn't break my heart.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Yes, they do make wines with reduced sulphur.

All organic wines have a bare minimum added, and a lot of them are much nicer for it, I think. They've been putting it in wine for a couple of hundred years I think; you can taste it.

I saw a huge great health food supermarket in Boston called... I forget. But if they have great big organic shops like that in every city I'm sure you can buy organic wine anywhere. A really, really nice one is made by a Spanish vitner called Albet i Noya. I'm sure you can get it in the States. They grow a bunch of different grapes and make their wine according to what happens to be nice at harvest time.

I want some. Hmm.

It's not just the sulphur that gives you the head, though; it's just as likely to be the tannins and the dehydration. A light red, like a nice unfiltered Pinot Noir, is probably a groovy thing if you have a problem with tannins. Er, or just drink white. And drink a lot of water.