New PowerMac pictures leaked

Comments

• Reply 161 of 688
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    If there's ever a G5 in this thing it'll probably be the G5 equivalent of 'Yikes!'
  • Reply 162 of 688
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>fake.

look at the bottom of the exterior picture.

it's airbrushed.

poorly airbrushed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whatever. There's no way to tell if it's faked from that pic. Are you in denial?
  • Reply 163 of 688
    overtoastyovertoasty Posts: 439member
    [quote]Originally posted by BJNY:

<strong>

Shouldn't we expect that the silver square thingy be covered by a plastic faceplate the same color as the rest of the front?</strong><hr></blockquote>

10 Points!
  • Reply 164 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by OverToasty:

<strong>

10 Points!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, I don't expect that at all. There's no point in having that face plate then. It also looks flush with the rest of the face...and what about the power button?

The doors would definitely not be covered...maybe the rim...

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 165 of 688
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    I am gonna throw this out again:

The face plate is the only piece we will see on the shipping version. Unlike the rest, it is too refined. The rest is just a mucked up test case to hold the internals.

My guess is that it actually is a part that belongs on a whole different chassis. It is used because there are no other Dual CD bay covers within Apple.
  • Reply 166 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Whatever. There's no way to tell if it's faked from that pic. Are you in denial? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm gonna go on record and saying this is a test mule.

The silver middle bits are all that we'll see in the new case.

El Cap is dead.

(btw, dig your new pension?)

edit: jsut saw the poswt ahead of me. yep.

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>
  • Reply 167 of 688
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Guys this is the real thing, no doubt about it. There are plastics covering the whole thing and that distorts the whole reflective qualities of the case. A truer image would have been possible with the removal of the shipping plastic film. One Question though; do both flap doors flip up? Or do the attach to the CD-tray like the Sony VAIO?
  • Reply 168 of 688
    walrusjbwalrusjb Posts: 34member
    Agree with the last few... though I'm not going to take a guess on the age of the box, it looks cobbled... the design isn't integrated.

Saw this thing for the first time this AM - and first thought was Sneaker Case. Make it look close enough to the current models that only a trained eye would look twice. (That and having seen a few hundred "spy" pictures from Auto makers testing new cars... all of the shape/detail hiding elements that are added - or putting an entirely different car underneath a common shell that will fit on the same frame.)

I'm **hoping** that this is a sneaker case, at least. Too unrefined otherwise...
  • Reply 169 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

I'm gonna go on record and saying this is a test mule.

The silver middle bits are all that we'll see in the new case.

El Cap is dead.

(btw, dig your new pension?)

edit: jsut saw the poswt ahead of me. yep.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seems to me like they are at least going to use some evolution of the El Capitan case. They way the two boards we have seen are cut, those fit right into them. Also, Apple58 mentions the photos are old though he says the appearance changes are minimal.
  • Reply 170 of 688
    In regards to the DDR is SDRAM comment put out by several folks.

This is technically true, but not at all reassuring. Bus speed/data rate matter. SDRAM includes everything from the 66Mhz stuff in my iMac rev. A to the DDR (double data rate) 333Mhz (166Mhz X2) stuff that is just starting to get put into some quality Wintel PCs. The question with the new PMs is, is it going to be PC 133 SDRAM like in the current revs, or is it going to be either 266 or 333 DDR SDRAM.

Only the cheapest PC's are shipping with PC 133 SDRAM right now. Apple does have a bottleneck with processors, and we can blame Motorola, but with RAM they need to sort things out so that they're as cutting edge as they have been with wireless networking and Superdisks, or at least quasi-current like they were with CD-R/W. Frankly, if RDRAM was reasonably priced I'd expect Apple to be trying to use it.

4 GB of 266 or 333 DDR SDRAM would be awesome. 4 GB capacity for PC 133 SDRAM would be little more than a lame attempt to make up for including outdated technology in a $2000-$5000 system.

These things will sit on shelves if they don't have better memory, and a quasi-meaningfull speed bump. Unless, heaven forbid, Apple did a massive price drop on the PM line and acknowledged, at least for the moment, that their Pro handware is anything *but* cutting edge.

*sigh* and no, I'm not flame bait. I want to buy a new Mac as soon as there's something worth my money, and I'm hoping for either a price dump or an awesome system, because I'm not buying another all-in-one system. iMac was an awesome deal in it's time, but I'm not buy a new display every 2 years, especially if it's an expensive LCD.
  • Reply 171 of 688
    This is my first post ever, but I had to say something.

If you look at the picture that somebody resized to look right (ie. shorter and fatter) you will see that it is a standard El Cap case with a new faceplate and probably a new backplate to accomodate the new motherboard. As for the metal front, could this be what a build-to-order unit that hasn't had the optical drive of choice and accompanying faceplate installed yet?

Opinions?
  • Reply 172 of 688
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    The case looks white to me. I like it.

The more I look at it. The more I think. 'G5'.

I hope so.

a 32 bit G5.

I'd take that.

Yeah. I'd blink.

On 400 ddr ram.

Oh yeah.

Give it to me.

Baby.

Lemon Bon Bon

The more I see that case...the more I say. Okay.

I just hope it's more than a dual 1.2 G4 bump.

Those 'air vents' indicate a monster is going in there. Unless they hope to cut down on the tower noise by having a fan that works some of the time. Convection cooling ala cubey?

Hmmm. C'mon, Apple. Stop teasing me...you know I can't take it...

HEY, Macrumors have a source that confirmed the appearance of these pics as the new Towers aesthetia!!!

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>
  • Reply 173 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>One Question though; do both flap doors flip up? Or do the attach to the CD-tray like the Sony VAIO?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought the PDF said they were hinged
  • Reply 174 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by zaz:

<strong>I am gonna throw this out again:

The face plate is the only piece we will see on the shipping version. Unlike the rest, it is too refined. The rest is just a mucked up test case to hold the internals.

My guess is that it actually is a part that belongs on a whole different chassis. It is used because there are no other Dual CD bay covers within Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If it's just a test case why bother with some styled vent holes in the front with Polished aluminum inserts? It'd make more sense to just dremel some vent holes in the front of the thing since it's just an internal prototype. I can buy it's a prototype but the holes had some design effort expended on them
  • Reply 175 of 688
    For the last time.

The Power Mac will have DDR SDRAM. I don't know if they're going to use the Xserve interim solution or if they have something new, but it WILL have DDR.

The slots in the red motherboard ARE DDR. anybody who isn't blind can see this. They are keyed for DDR DIMMs. You cannot physically fit a regular 168-pin SDRAM module of ANY kind into it.

The board in the other photos is basically the same as the red board.

DDR is almost as inexpensive as PC133. There's no point in holding it back.
  • Reply 176 of 688
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by WilsonStark:

<strong>In regards to the DDR is SDRAM comment put out by several folks.

This is technically true, but not at all reassuring. Bus speed/data rate matter. SDRAM includes everything from the 66Mhz stuff in my iMac rev. A to the DDR (double data rate) 333Mhz (166Mhz X2) stuff that is just starting to get put into some quality Wintel PCs. The question with the new PMs is, is it going to be PC 133 SDRAM like in the current revs, or is it going to be either 266 or 333 DDR SDRAM.

Only the cheapest PC's are shipping with PC 133 SDRAM right now. Apple does have a bottleneck with processors, and we can blame Motorola, but with RAM they need to sort things out so that they're as cutting edge as they have been with wireless networking and Superdisks, or at least quasi-current like they were with CD-R/W. Frankly, if RDRAM was reasonably priced I'd expect Apple to be trying to use it.

4 GB of 266 or 333 DDR SDRAM would be awesome. 4 GB capacity for PC 133 SDRAM would be little more than a lame attempt to make up for including outdated technology in a $2000-$5000 system.

These things will sit on shelves if they don't have better memory, and a quasi-meaningfull speed bump. Unless, heaven forbid, Apple did a massive price drop on the PM line and acknowledged, at least for the moment, that their Pro handware is anything *but* cutting edge.

*sigh* and no, I'm not flame bait. I want to buy a new Mac as soon as there's something worth my money, and I'm hoping for either a price dump or an awesome system, because I'm not buying another all-in-one system. iMac was an awesome deal in it's time, but I'm not buy a new display every 2 years, especially if it's an expensive LCD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is all true, but a complete redesign of a motherboard brings with it certain fundamental certainties.

1. At the very least among these would be DDR. Whether ala' xServe or different, you can be sure it will come.

2. This board is identical in almost all ways to the 'red board' we have already seen and we know it to have DDR.

If this is all fakery, whomever did it went to extremely great lengths to copy and redesign a previous leak and then add to it.

We only knew little about the 'red board' and its dimensions, yet this is identical in shape and after observation may seem as though it is just a copy, but contains angles that were not previously measurable with any accuracy.

Just because you can see it and nod does not mean you could physically reproduce it.

Forget the case.

The board alone is proof for me enough.

Some of you are so worked up on the abilities of Photoshop you have forgotten there needs to be certain known variables to accurately extrapolate a different angle of the object. They were never available from the red board...

...and the detail of the photo is reproducible in PS with only an extreme about of patients and reference numbers.

Ask any 3D artist.
  • Reply 177 of 688
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    [quote]Originally posted by philbot:

<strong>This pic is a fake.

A very poor photochopped fake.

Do not waste you time getting excited.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If this is a photoshopped fake I'll eat my hat.

This is a real photograph of a real chunk of plastic. If someone made a fake piece of plastic (Maybe some bored Product Design students at RIT with access to one-off plastic forma making equipment?) and then took a picture of it. Maybe then it is a fake.

But there is no phtoshopping here.

I keep looking at those vent and want them to be USB-Firewire ports that are angled up to obscure them from sight.

Then they would be elegant looking cable ports, instead of over-emphasized air vents.

Someone has probably made this observation already but I have not read the entire thread so apologies if this is the case.

MSKR
  • Reply 178 of 688
    Perhaps someone has already mentioned this, but are we to assume that this PM we are seeing has no optical drives in it? If it does, I can't really think of an elegant way to flip those huge "brushed aluminum" doors out of the way for the tray...

The current QS doors are quite big enough, thankyouverymuch. I could go for a nice slot-loading drive on my QS. Okay, sure, I'd back down if they sill can't get the SuperDrive to slot-load...
  • Reply 179 of 688
    [quote] The slots in the red motherboard ARE DDR. anybody who isn't blind can see this. They are keyed for DDR DIMMs. You cannot physically fit a regular 168-pin SDRAM module of ANY kind into it.

The board in the other photos is basically the same as the red board.<hr></blockquote>

Okay, sorry. I never read much about the red board. As for being blind, some, maybe a lot of us can't just look at a board and visually know what kind of DIMM it takes or even what DDR DIMMs look like. I am able to see, I just don't know what to look for except a flashing neon sign that says "Apple PowerMac G4, now with 333Mhz DDR SDRAM"

[quote] DDR is almost as inexpensive as PC133. There's no point in holding it back. <hr></blockquote>

Amen. But then there are a lot of relatively cheap improvements Apple could have made to any number of models in the past year or two that they didn't. I'll believe the specs when I read the Apple PDF some time in August.
  • Reply 180 of 688
    bernardbernard Posts: 59member
    THE RED BOARD MAY BE REAL BUT THE PICTURE FLOTING AROUND AND THAT IS POSTED HERE IS A MIRROR IMAGE (FLIPPED) THE PDF IS BASED ON THAT BOARD BEING FLIPPED (INCORRECT) THE PCI SLOTS WILL!! BE ON THE BOTTOM. THUS THE PDF IS A FAKE MOST LIKELY.

<a href="http://home.swbell.net/g_w/f.jpg"; target="_blank">think I am right</a>