Think Secret - "no new CPU announcements"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The updated Xserve might be a quickie or a "silent" upgrade. It's happened before with PowerMacs IIRC.

I predict new iMacs in Tokyo, and speed bumped PowerMacs by early February.

If the Xserve is updated to a G5 then I don't think it will be a silent upgrade. PM updates in Feb. are just as likely as in Jan., one thing for sure is that they will be upgraded sometime in the first quarter. I do find it unlikely that Steve would be up on stage, and broadcast without some major announcement. Is software/iPod "lite" enough? Personally a January intro of a new low cost iPod is a little late, and if they want to get full impact from the market it would be better to release it at a major consumer electronics show not MacWorld.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I think it would be poor planning on Apple's part to not do a G5 speed bump. They introduced the G5 this past summer. That means, ~6 months from the intro to the first upgrade, than if Steve is to be believed about the 3.0ghz thing happening by this summer, that makes another ~6 months till the rev. C comes out. Personally, I think that is a good time frame. Evenly spaced upgrades tend to piss off less people than if you wait till February to bump them than do it again in June.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    we'll know all the answers in a couple weeks, but i say PM bumps in january no matter what.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    What about new PowerBooks?

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 43
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    1.) I can only imagine the boon to the psychiatric profession if we do not get 2.6 GHZ PowerMacs by the mid-end of January. I, for one, will need some sort of intervention. I was hoping for the bumps at MWSF, but as has been said correctly, the bumps are happening afterwards (usually). Apple wants em out ASAP, to perfect the six month cycle... but they have learned (somewhat) about promising more than can be delivered after a major announcement. (PB 17) I hope Apple understands the damage of "Here is the Next Big Thing, YOU can have YOUR OWN in 3-4 months) The wait for the Dual 2 G5 has pushed my purchase to Rev B.

Somewhere here back in the spring I remember a post about Apple "moving away from Expos for speed bumpsand product announcements" Seems these valuable opportunities are being spent selling Apple products to the masses, not to the die-hards that frequent these places (That is, the boards... be that AI, or YOUR preferred Board of Ill Repute )

2.) I think the "MUSIC MWSF" makes sense for consumer marketing, but I find it hard to believe that Apple would not do this BEFORE the billions spent on holiday shopping. They screwed themselves out of two 12" PB sale last year, I would have bought two for my nephews. Another three weeks earlier and they would have had my purchase. But leave it to AAPL to do things "when they are G D good and ready"

3.) Do not think for a second, fellows, that

a) Apple does not read these boards and

b) Apple does not POST disinformation to these boards, and other channels.

SJ LOVES a big surprise. The Keynote makes Steve, well... STEVE. He has a demonstrated passion for WOW-ing people, and he is finally getting the ammo to do it. For the average Mac user, a miniPod will be noteworthy, but nothing Earth-shattering. If all I see is minor updates to software and a miniPod, it will be a disappointment. My grown-up iPod does not need a little sister in the dock next to her. (She IS a girl, I checked) 8)

4.) After MWSF, what is the next PRO show? Will we get more (non-Mad Cow) meat there, if we do not see it at MWSF?

In any case (be that G5 or another), thanks and Happy Holidays to all of you here on the boards. We speculate, we hallucinate, we... anyway - and it's a heck of a lot of fun. No one but the shadow knows about what happens at 1 Infinite Loop. So thanks to all that take time to post, time to inform, and time to help us all with our Mac Info addictions.

• Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Steve doesnt have to pay extra if he does the 'One more thing'-thing...

Actually, yeah he does. Lighting, sound and television crews don't work for free.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Somewhere here back in the spring I remember a post about Apple "moving away from Expos for speed bumpsand product announcements" Seems these valuable opportunities are being spent selling Apple products to the masses, not to the die-hards that frequent these places (That is, the boards... be that AI, or YOUR preferred Board of Ill Repute )

Yes, but you have to ask yourself if steve can pass up the opportunity of demoing the performance of a 2.6Ghz dual G5 against the P4 Extreme (which will be fastest available at the time IIRC). That's a marketing opportunity that's hard to pass up.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Well, mosr have some info' on the cpu situation.

Late jan' has been the PowerMac space for a few years now. Why he wouldn't use the stage to blow away the latest Pentium...? I dunno. Maybe the dual 2.6s aren't ready and will speak for themselves when they arrive. The whole PC community is aware of the G5. It got their attention.

Maybe mini-iPods and G5 iMacs will 'wow' the consumer show? With some new software goodies.

Apple really need to put the boot into the music player market with a low end model now they own THE X-Mas gadjet category. Expand the range with a low-end cheapo version and a high end video/iPhoto/private 'pda' version.

I'd like to see the 20th anniversary given a mention. About time to re-kick start the iMac range/consumer desktop and get people going iMac3 nuts like they are with the iPod. They need an Apple box that goes beyond the 'box' like the iPod has done...

Maybe Steve will surprise even Thinksecret.

He did last year...
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Actually, yeah he does. Lighting, sound and television crews don't work for free.

Didnt you smell my ironi...?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Maybe Steve will surprise even Thinksecret.

He did last year...

OH SHIT! OH SNAP OH SNAP OH SNAP

You totally just dogged them. OH SNAP. NO FITY. NO FITY. OH SNAP!

Seriously, just give me my ****ing PowerBook G5 in time for me going to college next year.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Maybe mini-iPods and G5 iMacs will 'wow' the consumer show?

I think that's it. Mini-Pods would FLY (and I mean at light speed) off the shelves with the average consumer, and the Mac community is ready for the G5 iMac. I think these and an iLife update are going to be the stories from MWSF.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    I predict...just as I predicted this time last year... that the 7457/47 will make its appearance in the iMac, the eMac, the old G4 tower and perhaps the iBook.

1. For each of the above, the 74X7 is a drop in replacement for the 74X5.

2. The 74X7s smaller die should eventually translate into a lower price.

3. In the old tower, the iMac and eMac, where heat is not a major issue, you can run the 74X7 at higher voltages (e.g. 1.6 or 1.85). In that case, you could see the G4 reaching and exceeding 1.6 Ghz fairly easily.

4. Finally, all this would qualify as mere "speed bumps" and could therefore square with the "no new CPU Announcement."

Fearless Prediction: The iBook will move to the 74x7, but processor speeds will remain the same (for purposes of product differentiation). The remaining G4 models will see processor speed bumps of at least @25%.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

Fearless Prediction: The iBook will move to the 74x7, but processor speeds will remain the same (for purposes of product differentiation). The remaining G4 models will see processor speed bumps of at least @25%.

Well, I agree with most of your post except this last part. It makes sense that if Moto can ever get around to shipping the 7457 (which they should have done long ago but we've god damn given them enough time), it could be useful as a stop-gap chip to allow the G4-based machines to continue growing in speed until the G5 or 750vx or something can be put into them.

The reason why I don't agree with that last bit is because consumers (the market for the iBook) will see no difference. Oh boy, G4 before, G4 again. Maybe Apple will quietly start putting 7457s in the iBook in preparation for a real update, but I don't see why iBooks can't go to a 1.0 to 1.25 GHz line. Meanwhile, PowerBooks can go 1.25 to 1.5 or 1.6 GHz (assuming the 7457 can go that high right away). I think it'll be breaking a nice psychological barrier to have all Apple machines at 1 GHz or faster, and assuming Moto ships the 7457, it's a definite possibility. That'll give the PowerBooks enough oomph to last until the 750vx comes out.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Mini iPods, along with the Pepsi deal, information on the speculated McDonald's promotion and a new digital lifestyle devise could make the music dominated presentation interesting.

I think that a later January Power Mac announcement would all but "guarantee" a duel 2.6 G5.

Apple will benefit most if they have immediate delivery of new models going forward, as the premature original G5 announcement was a marketing necessity because G4 Power Macs had litterally come to a halt.

Things are now different because it appears IBM is delivering the goods on schedule and the outlook is extremely bright for major upgades on all models by the end of Feburary.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 35 of 43
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bob

Mini iPods, along with the Pepsi deal, information on the speculated McDonald's promotion and a new digital lifestyle devise could make the music dominated presentation interesting.

"And we already have our biggest customer for the new miniPods: McDonald's"
  • Reply 36 of 43
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

... I predict new iMacs in Tokyo, and speed bumped PowerMacs by early February.

When is this Tokyo expo? That would be a great show to release the Powerbook 8" subnotebook.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

I predict...just as I predicted this time last year... that the 7457/47 will make its appearance in the iMac, the eMac, the old G4 tower and perhaps the iBook.

3. In the old tower, the iMac and eMac, where heat is not a major issue, you can run the 74X7 at higher voltages (e.g. 1.6 or 1.85). In that case, you could see the G4 reaching and exceeding 1.6 Ghz fairly easily.

I hope you're right. I'd like the dual-bootable G4 towers to be updated to at least Dual 1.5GHz.for $1499, please.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

When is this Tokyo expo? That would be a great show to release the Powerbook 8" subnotebook.

ewwwwwWWWWWWWWWwwwwwww

Powerbook 8"!? That would sell worse than the 20th Anniversary Mac and the Cube!
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

I hope you're right. I'd like the dual-bootable G4 towers to be updated to at least Dual 1.5GHz.for $1499, please.

I sincerely doubt that is going to happen. The G4 towers are at the end of their existence. I imagine that sooner rather than later they will go educational-only, and then some time after that they will disappear completely. As the low-end G5 moves downward in price, it eliminates any need for the G4. It really couldn't work any other way, either. If Apple would want to position the G4 tower as a low end consumer machine, it would have to find a way to produce it much more cheaply. Apple doesn't like going too far into the low-end, though; it considers the eMac sufficient. The other fact of life with the G4 is (and seems always will be) its crappy FSB. It sealed the G4's fate as a high end processor, and unless the FSB is fixed the G4 will become increasingly irrelevant at the low end as well. Without FSB improvements (which we likely won't see, all things considered), the G4 has very little left and is aging quickly.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If the Rapid I/O version of G4 came......

But this poor baby will not have chance to come to the world due to our once beloved Moronola.