'Garage Band' - Confirmed! (officially, now)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 245
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    To borrow a phrase from homer simpson mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm garageband aaaaath (shirt is dripping with drool) i am a pc user and as such must buy a mac as soon as i get the dough

my only question is will this run reliably and fast on say a g4 1ghz or maby a dual 450 or whatevere i can grab up on ebay?

and if i buy the panther upgrade is it included or is it only on new factory macs and is it on refurb macs?
  • Reply 62 of 245
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

To borrow a phrase from homer simpson mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm garageband aaaaath (shirt is dripping with drool) i am a pc user and as such must buy a mac as soon as i get the dough

my only question is will this run reliably and fast on say a g4 1ghz or maby a dual 450 or whatevere i can grab up on ebay?

and if i buy the panther upgrade is it included or is it only on new factory macs and is it on refurb macs?

iLife '04 Specs:

System Requirements:

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor

600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand

G4 or faster required for GarageBand software instruments

733MHz G4 or faster required for iDVD

256MB of physical RAM

Mac OS X v10.2.6 or later (Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later recommended)

QuickTime 6.4 or later (QuickTime 6.5 included)

Display with at least 1024-by-768-pixel resolution

DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD

4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie only.

-----

I'd be lookin'n for anything 800mhz +.
  • Reply 63 of 245
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    No edu discount for keyboard \
  • Reply 64 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Well, soundtrack has built in key correction, quite sophisticated too, which lets the .aif loops change pitch pretty well, I'd imagine it's the same with garageband.

Interesting. So it just automatically adjusts the samples so they go together. And that works with all their sound samples, not just the MIDI ones? They must have some metadata with them that indicates key and tempo.

I'd be interested to know if you can put down a set of chord changes rather than just staying on a C chord or whatever for the whole song. That seems to me to be essential, otherwise you'd almost have to just stick with drum tracks.
  • Reply 65 of 245
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Did anyone notice how the new GarageBand app actually sported a new look? Last year AI reported on a new "brushed metal" appearance that was supposed to be darker, I guess that might have been it... It looked even more horrible in my eyes...

Yes, soon we will see all of our iApps have their beautiful metal ripped away and replaced with... wood siding?!?
  • Reply 66 of 245
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Danger

This may prove to be the inspiration I need to pick up my guitar again.

I think this is just the response Apple is hoping for. I am no musician and for me this app seemed a bit useless at first. But if you look at all the iLife apps they allow you to be creative, they respond to the left side of the brain. They are "Microsoft Office for the rest of your life" right..?

Apple already owns the creative mindspace in the computer world. Business = PC / Creative = Apple. Now these iApps are making it so easy for the average person to be creative. With iMove and an iMac think of what you can do...!? A year later your dying to upgrade to the G5 and Final Cut.

Look how music based this MW was. They are starting a groundswell here that will allow the grassroots creation of creative content by anyone. They already have the distribution mechanism (iTunes) and the player (iPod). Now they are kicking the record companies right out of the deal..!

This strategy could be what The 1984 mac, with it's GUI, was for desktop publishing and what the Web was for decentralized information sharing.

It is all starting to tie together.
  • Reply 67 of 245
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    why on earth does one need a DVD drive to install Garage band ?

I know I cant afford anything with a superdrive...

I guess "garage bands" have a little more disposable income than me.
  • Reply 68 of 245
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

A DVD-ROM drive, not a SuperDrive. The app and samples are written to a DVD.
  • Reply 69 of 245
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Yes, soon we will see all of our iApps have their beautiful metal ripped away and replaced with... wood siding?!?

If that atrocity ever reaches the Finder; I'm gonna kill myself (figure of speech, not literally)...
  • Reply 70 of 245
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

virtually every mac currently sold, and most of the ones from the past two years have a combo drive that reads DVDs.
  • Reply 71 of 245
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hah! I called it exactly.

And it looks amazing. The price is unbelievable. This app will appeal to a whole lot of people. Especially here in music-hungry Iowa City.
  • Reply 72 of 245
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Don't forget the additional App available to increase what GarageBand has. "Jam Pack".
  • Reply 73 of 245
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

iTunes - regular joes to organize music

iPhoto - regular joes to take photos

iMovie - regular joes to make movies

iDVD - regular joes to make DVDs

If the aim of iDVD is to bring DVD-burning to the masses, why can't you get a Superdrive on an iBook? Just asking.
  • Reply 74 of 245
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Getting musical sounds into computers has always confused me but this seems quite simple. The Les Paul copy will be getting a severe dusting in the next few weeks. However, the thought of attaching a beast like an electric guitar to a fragile Mac still worries me. i've been looking at the accessories and the monster instument adaptor seems to offer the chance to do this but it requires a built in analogue audio in port. Does this exist in either a 14" iBook or an FP 800 iMac? Also what are your thoughts on whether an 800G3 iBook be able to handle live audio in ? I'm remembering the problem it has even with voice overs in iMovie.
  • Reply 75 of 245
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimdad

Getting musical sounds into computers has always confused me but this seems quite simple. The Les Paul copy will be getting a severe dusting in the next few weeks. However, the thought of attaching a beast like an electric guitar to a fragile Mac still worries me. i've been looking at the accessories and the monster instument adaptor seems to offer the chance to do this but it requires a built in analogue audio in port. Does this exist in either a 14" iBook or an FP 800 iMac? Also what are your thoughts on whether an 800G3 iBook be able to handle live audio in ? I'm remembering the problem it has even with voice overs in iMovie.

you might wanna check out an iMic from griffin technology ($40),

lets you plug in through USB...and if you're still feeling worried, get a cheap mixer by Behringer($40)to plug your guitar in before the iMic
  • Reply 76 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    You'll need some kind of pre-amp if you want to use an iMic or the line in on your computer. If you have any kind of effects box that should step up the signal enough to be useful. Otherwise you'll need a pre-.
  • Reply 77 of 245
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I don't think iMacs or iBooks come with audio inputs.

the iMic should do the trick though.
  • Reply 78 of 245
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The latest iMacs have an audio in port but the iBooks do not.
  • Reply 79 of 245
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    iMacs (both old and new) do have audio in. I think all models of iMacs from any time have audio in, but there could be some exceptions. PowerBooks, PowerMac G5s, and eMacs also have audio in. iBooks - at least the current ones - do not.

And you don't need a pre-amp or anything else to plug the guitar in to the computer - that's one of the great features. It's designed to emulate the amp in software.
  • Reply 80 of 245
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    interesting...it amplifies the signal in the software?

hmm...I can't imagine it being that great, but I've never worked with software that worked as an amp sim.