Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

exactly!

i think this is a mistake...

Unless they can lower the price fast.

But I want DETAILS about this product NOW.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

like they did with the cube...?
  • Reply 63 of 78
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I would expect the mini iPod to drop to $199 by the end of the year, but Apple needs to milk the early adopters for now.

Some people may think it's worth the extra money for the smaller size and choice of color. Who knows?

Is the aluminum one piece on these? That would make changing the battery more difficult.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Quote:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

looks like the same internal mechanisms, smaller screen.

all models report the same 8 hour battery life with the usual caveat "depending on use"

only the mini can charge over USB2 at the moment.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    Quote:

Plenty of details are available.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=36158

and Apple has the official link up now:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Quote:

like they did with the cube...?

No. Like they did with the original iPod. And white iBook.
  • Reply 67 of 78
    Quote:

No. Like they did with the original iPod. And white iBook.

the original ipod was a whole new concept that was put in a brand new form factor and executed perfectly. now, however, the idea has been done for 2 years and there are more established competitors out there (namely, apples own 15 gigger). people were willing to pay more with the original ipod because it was so far and away the best. but this one...well it's nice and all...but i would rather just buy the 15 gigger...

it isnt small enough relative to the others to justify the price...and a small decrease in the price tag in a few months might still be too high once the novelty has worn off...
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:

the original ipod was a whole new concept that was put in a brand new form factor and executed perfectly. now, however, the idea has been done for 2 years and there are more established competitors out there (namely, apples own 15 gigger). people were willing to pay more with the original ipod because it was so far and away the best. but this one...well it's nice and all...but i would rather just buy the 15 gigger...

it isnt small enough relative to the others to justify the price...and a small decrease in the price tag in a few months might still be too high once the novelty has worn off...

The old iPod had a new kind of HD that was expensive at first but dropped rather quickly in price when it started to sell very well (because of the succes with the iPod). The savings were passed on to the iPod buyers

The new iPod has a new kind of... (blablabla). And don´t forget Apple just entered a new territory with more fit animals than was present in the old iPods territory. I think their strategy will be to lower the price of the 4 Gb iPod AND add features and storage to the old. This way they will differentiate the two most.
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Quote:

The old iPod had a new kind of HD that was expensive at first but dropped rather quickly in price when it started to sell very well (because of the succes with the iPod).

The new iPod has a new kind of... (blablabla)

exactly my point...
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:

exactly my point...

No. My point is that the new iPod will drop in price within a year to $179-$199. Thats not a small decrease.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    Quote:

No. My point is that the new iPod will drop in price within a year to $179-$199. Thats not a small decrease.

no, not small--but thats the price it should be right now. the original ipods had a high price, but really werent overpriced considering the competition and the technology it was offering. i'm very curious as to how well it will sell initially...
  • Reply 72 of 78
    It all depends on what is worth more to you. 9GB or $50. I'll pick the 9GB.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

no, not small--but thats the price it should be right now. the original ipods had a high price, but really werent overpriced considering the competition and the technology it was offering. i'm very curious as to how well it will sell initially...

No tardly, you dont understand economics, Apple is leading in market share in the MP3 player market while having offered very expensive players. There is no need to hurry and sacrifice profit at this point in order to bolster an already outrageous market share. Nobody is coming close to catching up with the current iPods, now the small, colorful, cheap MP3 player market just got a new kid on the block...and it's badass. Apple will undoubtedly lower prices as it sees fit and I think they have secured themselves for a long, long time into the future as the leader in the MP3 player/computer music market. Great job Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

11GB
  • Reply 75 of 78
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

An interesting comment, looks like Apple found a sneaky but successful way to do two things here.

1.) If people would rather have the 9 GB they will have to shell out $50 more than they would for the smaller iPod...but they will still be buying an Apple product and spending $300.

2.) Some people just WILL NOT spend $300 on a music player and maybe this new iPod will be more reasonable, at least in the minds of some budget tight people and the 9 GB of storage is not an issue with them. Some people I'm sure care not about the storage as strongly as they do the bottom line, and $50 is a nice chunk of savings....also take into account the fact that this iPod is $230 for education.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    Crap. I can't count.

11GB.