The Swingle Singers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    I also think Bach is for pussies. I'm not saying he wasn't good at what he did, by no means do I think he wasn't an amazing talent. But I'm sure that the stuff I'm into you wouldn't find super amazing. I don't see why you had to take such offense to people not being interested in what, in my opinion, is not that interesting at all.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No one in this thread said that "Classical music sux" as you so eloquently put it (maybe you should learn to spell to go along with your elitism?). You're assuming that because they don't like the Singing Swindlers, they automatically don't like Bach, or classical music in general. Well guess what? The Swinging Singles do a shitty job of murdering Bach's music. They are a disgrace. I listened to them, and they suck.

You can't take any criticism whatsoever. You can dish it out but like the stupid, whining, bitching pussy you are, you can't take any without flying off the handle. Your second and third posts in this thread already implied a great deal of elitism ("are you saying it's distasteful? what music do you listen to?"), and after that you go whole hog ("Then your grandma has better taste than you do"). Of course, it's no big deal to rail on punk rock. Go ahead, slam them and their listeners as much as you want, but the moment someone criticizes your pet band, you automatically get offended, assail them for their poor taste, and then pretend like you're the victim ("And why do you all choose to react so strongly against it when I didn't?"). You hypocritical loser.

I think you need to leave the boards for a while, get a life, tell your parents to quit controlling you, discover that being "sophisticated" isn't the most important thing in the world, then come back and re-evaluate the situation. At the very least, we'll all get a break from your mindless babble for a few months.

great post
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

Speaking of ignorance, you two superior f**king idiots should know that Bach isn't classical music, it's Baroque.

the term Classical is generally used losely and it ties in periods such as baroque, classical and romantic.

If I were to talk about renaissance, contemporary or neo-romanticism, I don't think many people would understand what I'm saying so I use the general term that the laymen use.

You really thought I didn't know Bach was a baroque artist?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    This thread needs to cool down.

I never intended it to be like this and I guess I come off as rather bastardy but English is not my first language and it's all written so I can't really tell you what I'm thinking.

Anyway, I'm cool with whatever you all listen to and I'm not trying to force the swingle singers on you at all. I just came across it on itms and thought it was really cool and wanted to share but found no one that agreed it was cool and found some people dissin classical.

As for that old post about Sony cameras, although I am a fan of sony, I was kinda joking around. We got a Canon digital rebel recently so...

So I just bought all the pepsi they have at the store here and my first bottle i open I get a free song.

Before the pepsi deal came on I had all these songs I wanted to get but now that the time has come I can't remember what I wanted, any suggestions?

And I'm not looking for classical because classical needs to be in complete sets and wouldn't make sense buying just 1 song.

And Luca and Ed, please try to not bring personal stuff on the boards. I thought we were through with that.

And murbot, about the shit thing, I didn't actually do it, and it was just something green and mushy, probably not shit at all.

So can I redeem myself and be a regular member on the board?
  • Reply 45 of 64
    And sorry if I offended anyone, I apologise for that.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ironically, I actually listened to a bit more of the Swingle Singers after I posted my reply, and I liked what I heard. Their classical renditions were pretty hard to take, but their jazz stuff is okay. I'm not a fan of their style of music in the first place, but I don't think this is even about whether these Swingle Singers are any good or not - after hearing more of their stuff, I don't really think too badly of them. Still, I hope Steve will eventually realize that there are many varied tastes in music and other areas of life, and that highbrow is not always the "right" way. I'm not a huge fan of punk rock either but I like listening to some of it once in a while.

Anyway, I guess I had fun with my post, but I think we should start moving towards a better understanding. Steve, you're going to have to learn how to make compromises and to not jump to conclusions or judge people based on some very limited information. AppleInsider will be a very unwelcome place if you continue with these rude (and just downright irritating) displays of arrogance and superiority.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't go around blaming a poor understanding of English for your inflammatory posts. Common rules of decency go beyond the language barriers, and your English is very good anyway. Not as good as a native speaker, but it's close.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

the term Classical is generally used losely and it ties in periods such as baroque, classical and romantic.

If I were to talk about renaissance, contemporary or neo-romanticism, I don't think many people would understand what I'm saying so I use the general term that the laymen use.

You really thought I didn't know Bach was a baroque artist?

Way to blow an opportunity to appear humble. You totally redeemed yourself with this post!!!
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Way to blow an opportunity to appear humble. You totally redeemed yourself with this post!!!

Hey, that was before I decided to redeem myself.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Despite all of the unnecessary flaming, this has to be one the most interesting and entertaining threads I've been involved in. (which is not that many, as you can tell).

It almost fells as if me and steve are the GWB and Tony Blair of this forum. Although my stance is not nearly as extreme as steve's, and it makes me shudder to think about being compared to either one of those two. but I digress.

Quote:

As a professional composer, I think it's great that you feel the best way to introduce concert music to people, is to berate and belittle them for their 'unenlightened' and 'ignorant' ways. That's great, really smart guys.

Speaking of ignorance, you two superior f**king idiots should know that Bach isn't classical music, it's Baroque. Half the tracks on the album are JAZZ arrangements of Baroque pieces. You two chucklehead 'experts' don't even know what you're talking about.

I think I need to clarify a few of the things I've said so far:

First, I was not completely serious with the content of my original post. I do have a strong admiration for Bach and other classica-oops! sorry! I need to break it down for ya: BAROQUE, Classical, Romantic, Modern, AND Jazz arrangements. But there was a bit of humor and sarcasm behind the "unenlightened souls" stuff. I should have added a smiley or something. sorry.

Second, when I use the word ignorant, it does not mean "Stupid" or "Intellectually Inferior" or anything like that. It simply means that one lacks knowledge of x subject. Musical taste is influenced by what you grew up listening to. If you listened to alot of classical or baroque, etc. music when you were a kid, then its likely that you will have an appreciation for it when you get older. Or, on the other hand, if you listened to classical when you were young and then, after entering some kind of rebellious stage or something, developed a distaste for it, I can respect that decision a bit more because at least you have a good knowledge of the genre, and therefore have more *ahem* "valid" reasons for not liking it then a person who has almost no knowledge of it and disses it simply because of that fact. I think this is what steve is trying to say.

I personally can't say whether or not anyone on this board is ignorant of classical because I dont know what your backgrounds are.

And BTW neither Bach nor Wagner nor Philip Glass are for pussies. Their compositions are clearly intended for human enjoyment, not cats.

If you guys weren't so ignorant you would know that.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

And sorry if I offended anyone...

No you're not. You cant be sorry for something you do repeatedly. You may cool down for a few days because you got a siezeable bite taken out of your ass by a community of geeks, but 'you' will return soon enough.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ultimately they've made Bach sound like a jingle you'd hear while shopping for bananas and maxi-pads at the local supermarket. I'm also not a fan of the accompaniment in some of their songs...check their Christmastime album. I mean, are they a capella or not?
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wotan

If you listened to alot of classical or baroque, etc. music when you were a kid, then its likely that you will have an appreciation for it when you get older. Or, on the other hand, if you listened to classical when you were young and then, after entering some kind of rebellious stage or something, developed a distaste for it, I can respect that decision a bit more because at least you have a good knowledge of the genre, and therefore have more *ahem* "valid" reasons for not liking it then a person who has almost no knowledge of it and disses it simply because of that fact. I think this is what steve is trying to say.

So listening to a few songs and then deciding that you don't like it isn't good enough? You're still sounding pretty pompous when you say we should have a valid reason for not liking certain music - IMHO, if you have listened to it and you don't like it, then that in itself is a valid reason.

I think the problem is that you and Steve are both acting very superior to everyone, as though your knowledge of classical music allows you to shake your finger at everyone who doesn't like it and say, "It's just because you're ignorant, nothing to be ashamed of."

Another interesting point: It seems, from your post, that for someone to say they don't like classical music, they had to have studied it and decided they didn't like it, because just saying you don't like it without formal training is ignorance. What about liking it? Do you also have to undergo formal training in order to like classical music? Would someone be ignorant if they said they like classical music just because they like the way it sounds, even if they aren't educated in the subject?
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pumpkintosh

No you're not. You cant be sorry for something you do repeatedly. You may cool down for a few days because you got a siezeable bite taken out of your ass by a community of geeks, but 'you' will return soon enough.

What is your problem? As you told me yourself you don't even belong in this board.

And maybe you should look at yourself for once. Not to be mean or anything (since I really do feel bad for your life) but you should have more important things to worry about.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

What is your problem? As you told me yourself you don't even belong in this board.

And maybe you should look at yourself for once. Not to be mean or anything (since I really do feel bad for your life) but you should have more important things to worry about.

Alright, you wanna get personal, fine. It was in fact, Luca who made a personal attack on your in this thread, not me. But you are chosing to attack me because you know I am less likely to retaliate at the level which Luca would, making a total ass out of you, which you have done a good enough job of on your own anyways...

1) I never said I didn't belong here. I said I felt more comfortable over at MacNN. But, as I have come to see many present and former MacNN'ers over here, I figured I would peak around.

2) You know nothing about my life. You do not know me well enough to make any judgement whatsoever of me, I talked to you on AIM for about a week before I stopped responding to you. Say what you will, you pulled that comment out of your ass. And I am far happier in my life than you are with yours judging by the attitude that you have had towards others in this thread before you got ganged up on.

3) I should have more important things to worry about than what? Than posting here? Well, if I should have more important things to do than posting here, shouldn't you have more important things to do than adopting an elitist attitude about everything you like/do and attempting to tear down those who disagree with your views?

If you wanna try to make another personal attack, at least have the maturity to do it via private message.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:

• Reply 56 of 64
    Luca and Ed,

why such contempt? we've never even met each other. I don't think it's necessary at all, so lets just break it.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:

Luca and Ed,

why such contempt? we've never even met each other. I don't think it's necessary at all, so lets just break it.

• Reply 58 of 64
    I don't feel like continuing here. I'm out like a trout. Discussions of personal matters belong in private messages anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Another interesting point: It seems, from your post, that for someone to say they don't like classical music, they had to have studied it and decided they didn't like it, because just saying you don't like it without formal training is ignorance. What about liking it? Do you also have to undergo formal training in order to like classical music? Would someone be ignorant if they said they like classical music just because they like the way it sounds, even if they aren't educated in the subject?

You've raised some good questions. And what I'm about to say may sound insanely elitist, but... Classical music really does require a good understanding of how it works in order to fully appreciate and enjoy it. I really dont mean to sound superior but this is just the way it is. When I first started to seriously listen to it, my knowledge of the genre wasn't anything like what it is now. I was attracted to it mostly on a pretty base level, and I would listen to it much in the same way one would listen to any other pop tune. I just saw the facade and didn't really see the meat of it. But yet there was something there that kept me interested and I didn't tire of it as I did with other music. and eventually I learned how to listen. Its a bit hard to explain, but listening to classical really requires a much deeper and more focused level of listening than most other styles in order to truly enjoy it. And having a little bit of an education of the different styles and formats i.e. knowing the difference between a cannon and a fugue, understanding the importance of how different themes are orchestrated etc. all make a huge difference in ones ability to enjoy it. and when you dont know these things, its like seeing the world through a pinhole.

If you allow it the time and patience that it requires. it can be an intensely rewarding and satisfying thing to experience.

P.S. Chill out folks. I dont want to see this thread get closed unnecessarily.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Thanks Wotan for pointing that out.

Well, those of you that are saying ewww to classical, how many of you have ever sat down and decided to try to get into it?

I am guessing that most start off having already decided this is not what I like so when they hear a classical station on the radio they automatically skip it without even hearing what is playing.

The reason why I am very annoyed is because I constantly get very false statements about classical which are truly based on ignorance:

Classical music is boring, there's nothing exciting about it, it puts me to sleep, there's no energy to it.

Now, this is just not fcking true yet they say it with such confidence as if they know for a fact that it is boring.

I guess it can be compared to a child finding shakespeare boring and unexciting because he doesn't understand it or because it's not like what he normally reads (ie picture books).