american vs. british english - the most hilarious ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Can I bum a fag off you?

me sorry, i don't get it. (i am neither americanus nor britannicus, although i spent my time in nyc;-))

sure, actually, fag is a slangie for cigarette, isn't it? what else, i mean, lay me a cue

best
  • Reply 22 of 82
    "Excuse me, may I trouble you for one of your cigarettes?"
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

"Excuse me, may I trouble you for one of your cigarettes?"

uuuuh ... i thought about that, but i couldn't stretch ...
  • Reply 24 of 82
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mars

Aren't Galahs and cockies, cockatoos?

Galahs are smaller versions of the white sulphur crested cockatoos.

Galahs are usually pink whereas cockatoos are white with a yellow top knot.

Anyway. in Strine aussie english..

Galahs are talkative idiots.

Politicians and lawyers are often referred to as

" A mob of Galahs "

Sulphur crested Cockattoos are much bigger birds with a very loud shrieking sound. Interstingly their shriek is often used in films as voice dubs for flying Teradactyles...ancient flying lizards.

The reason farmers are called cockies is because of the very erratic and strnage way these birds fly. they can be maeandering along and suddenly dive or flop to one side or even funnier hang upside down on telegraph lines..

Like all farmers ..a little bit effected by the sun..
  • Reply 25 of 82
    At least in the course of my job, I find the British to be far easier to understand, and about a billion times more polite than the majority of Americans. Ahh, the American Southeast: where pronouncing consonants is completely optional.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    yea, influenza. but you don't deal with people of midlands do you?
  • Reply 27 of 82
    marsmars Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Galahs are smaller versions of the white sulphur crested cockatoos.

Galahs are usually pink whereas cockatoos are white with a yellow top knot.

Anyway. in Strine aussie english..

Galahs are talkative idiots.

Politicians and lawyers are often referred to as

" A mob of Galahs "

Sulphur crested Cockattoos are much bigger birds with a very loud shrieking sound. Interstingly their shriek is often used in films as voice dubs for flying Teradactyles...ancient flying lizards.

The reason farmers are called cockies is because of the very erratic and strnage way these birds fly. they can be maeandering along and suddenly dive or flop to one side or even funnier hang upside down on telegraph lines..

Like all farmers ..a little bit effected by the sun..

I have a pet cockatoo and she is an absolute riot.

I have only seen a galah at a bird show once and they were around $2500 USD.

I wanted a Major Mitchell's cockatoo, but they are now close to extinction in the wild.

I've seen a Black Palm cockatoo and got to pet it at Parrot Jungle in Miami Florida.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

yea, influenza. but you don't deal with people of midlands do you?

I wouldn't know the Midlands if they bit me in the face. But our English and European staff (this is an internal help desk, mind you) seem to have a much better attitude with the people who they are, after all, asking for help.

The accent doesn't have everything to do with it. I'm equally happy to help someone with a dauntingly thick Chinese accent, for instance, as long as they're polite and willing to listen and follow instructions. A lot of Americans seem to resent needing help and become defensive when they're out of their element. They act like you owe them something. The biggest exceptions are the wonderful folks at the ROTC and police station. They're a pleasure to deal with.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

A friend of mine (from Boston) lived in London a few years ago. She got a job working behind the bar in a pub, and towards the end of her first night was asked by one of the regulars if she "fancied a shag"...she assumed that he was talking about a shot of some kind and surprised him by replying "sure!" (I don't think she shagged him though).

lol A similar story: a girlfriend of mine went to a semiformal dance with her European exchange student friend. When some American 'shag' music came on, she excitedly said to him, "Ooh! Time to shag! Wanna shag?" She said she never saw a guy blush more than he did that night.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mars

I have a pet cockatoo and she is an absolute riot.

I have only seen a galah at a bird show once and they were around $2500 USD.

No wonder people try to smuggle them out of the country.

One guy got caught with a cockatoo stuffed down the front of his trousers.

Not the brightest idea.

Airport security noticed the guy wincing with pain every couple of steps.

lets just say that a Cockatoos beak can crack walnuts.

Aqua.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

No wonder people try to smuggle them out of the country.

One guy got caught with a cockatoo stuffed down the front of his trousers.

Not the brightest idea.

Airport security noticed the guy wincing with pain every couple of steps.

lets just say that a Cockatoos beak can crack walnuts.

Aqua.

L O L
  • Reply 32 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

A friend of mine (from Boston) lived in London a few years ago. She got a job working behind the bar in a pub, and towards the end of her first night was asked by one of the regulars if she "fancied a shag"...she assumed that he was talking about a shot of some kind and surprised him by replying "sure!" (I don't think she shagged him though).

And of course in the South (specifically NC), shagging is a form of dancing, like a slow swing dance.

You should see the looks I get back home in Seattle when I wear my 'UNC Shag Club' shirt.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i never know which word to use, soccer or football .. when, like in spanish "football" is what the US call soccer .. but hearing my stupid accent if i say football i assume some think i talk about the US 'football', not soccer .. and in uk no one says 'soccer' ..
  • Reply 34 of 82
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Naw, unless the person speaking has an American accent, I assume they mean soccer.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Naw, unless the person speaking has an American accent, I assume they mean soccer.

... OooRrr, unless the person speaking has a scotish accent, i'd rather understand shocker. BTW, i never got the meaning of "football" anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    I think it's jist Shir Sean that makes his esses soond like eshes. Football is jist that - gi'en the ball a dunt wi' your foot . But when I was a wee laddie growing up in the wild and lonely Western Isles we'd never call football 'soccer'. My guidnedss - if ye did that the folk o'the village wid gather at night wi' burning torches and pierce yer entire year's crop o' turnips wi' their cruel pitchforks, jist for being pretentious enough tae use the word.

I hae - on the odd occasion (and probably many times that I never realised) tumbled heedlong intae the slough o' linguistic perversity. Things like 'rubber' for eraser or even saying 'toilet' insteed o' 'powder room' when talking tae freends frae New England. (Bluidy powder room! what's powder got tae do wi' it?)

But it's guid tae be different. I hae often - on these very boards - pointed oot the dangers o' homogenisation, globalisation, linguistification, mummification, subliminaloration, (and disease, pestilence and death) vis a vis the internet. Mark my words lest doom owertake us at oor keyboards even as we speak!
  • Reply 37 of 82
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

I think it's jist Shir Sean that makes his esses soond like eshes. Football is jist that - gi'en the ball a dunt wi' your foot . But when I was a wee laddie growing up in the wild and lonely Western Isles we'd never call football 'soccer'. My guidnedss - if ye did that the folk o'the village wid gather at night wi' burning torches and pierce yer entire year's crop o' turnips wi' their cruel pitchforks, jist for being pretentious enough tae use the word.

I hae - on the odd occasion (and probably many times that I never realised) tumbled heedlong intae the slough o' linguistic perversity. Things like 'rubber' for eraser or even saying 'toilet' insteed o' 'powder room' when talking tae freends frae New England. (Bluidy powder room! what's powder got tae do wi' it?)

But it's guid tae be different. I hae often - on these very boards - pointed oot the dangers o' homogenisation, globalisation, linguistification, mummification, subliminaloration, (and disease, pestilence and death) vis a vis the internet. Mark my words lest doom owertake us at oor keyboards even as we speak!

Ha the wonderful Scotland : golf, whisky and fog
  • Reply 38 of 82

where do you come from?
  • Reply 39 of 82
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

AHAHAHA!
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Mr Billybobski! How are ye?

I'm no sure if your question was tae me or the maist glorious and noble Powerdoc,Mrs VoxBarbara or someone else. But for my part I tend tae juke aroond a bit frae corner tae corner o' Scotland; much like the way (but on a larger scale o' coorse) the incomparable Scottish fitba' team jukes the ball frae corner tae corner o' the pitch causing uproar and consternation tae freend and foe alike.