New wave of bad ads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    24 hours ago, the statement, "...more annoying than Tina on every page," wouldn't have meant anything. I think we SHOULD use it as an insult.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    It's still here, and I can honestly say that I wish Tina and whoever created her was dead.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    You guys could save yourselves a lot of trouble and create a hosts file that would take care of this. I literally haven't seen this ad once -- that's why I asked for someone to send me a copy.

Just do a search on the forums "hosts" or "/etc/hosts" posted by "Brad".

Edit: ah, forget it. Here it is:

Using /etc/hosts to block ads
  • Reply 64 of 102
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Shit, let's go elsewhere then. If we can afford to be independent, why don't we do it?

The supreme overlords won't release the domain appleinsider.com... even for money.

I personally use PithHelmet and Safari. Never see any ads... nor do I hear voices.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I'm going to hear that in my sleep. I forgot about it for like 5 minutes and I opened like 6 threads in all different windows, man was cycling through that a horrible horrible idea.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

The supreme overlords won't release the domain appleinsider.com... even for money.

I personally use PithHelmet and Safari. Never see any ads... nor do I hear voices.

I do to and I didn't know what anyone was talking about for a while. But when I use OW for a while, I have to see the damn ads.

And screw appleinsider.com if they're going to be pricks about it. It's the community that makes the forum, not the domain name.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

And screw appleinsider.com if they're going to be pricks about it. It's the community that makes the forum, not the domain name.

And besides, the ads on the forums can't generate much revenue for them.

That's why I have no qualms about explaining to people how to block the ads here.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    Edit: taken down so supreme overlords don't know our master plan
  • Reply 69 of 102
    Garrrrrrr!!!!

I spent two minutes looking for Tina....a lot of talking to the computer.

Screaming actually.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Wouldn't it be fairly easy to configure AI so that we would have the *option* to pay a subscription to have this place ad-free? I'd pay for it.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to configure AI so that we would have the *option* to pay a subscription to have this place ad-free? I'd pay for it.

Nope.

Folks, this is a dead-end discussion. The owners of AppleInsider have flatly stated that there will be no ad-free option.

So, your options are either to put up with them, block them, or go somewhere else. I don't like that any more than you do, but it's just the way it is. \
  • Reply 72 of 102
    one thing not that all the advertising here sucks, I've recently bought a hard drive through the cdw warehouse ad, and awhile back you had an ATT wireless banner and I signed up for cell phone service so... more of those and great. I wish your adserver wouldn't allow audible web banners tho, like so many other services on the web out there.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Just curious, is Tina still around?

I blocked her helpful ass, so I wouldn't know...

(Can I say "ass"? If not I apologize.)
  • Reply 74 of 102
    She's gone, but I don't doubt that we'll be seeing "Amy" popping up soon to show us how to speed up our computers.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    so do the overlords actually have a "no blinking, no audio" ad policy,

or are we inevitably due for another annoying onslaught and forced to report each offender?

(presuming they're not all from a single adserver we could reliably avoid with /etc/hosts edits)

I thought I read comments during the last wave of bad ads that some sort of policy existed,

followed by post to the effect of "at least we're not getting audio"... jinx.

At least Pith Helmet gets updated almost as soon as Safari does.

But there have been times I've wished for right-click options that included:

"Reply with Virus", "Crash adserver", or just plain "STFU"...

and I do still know people who reply to fax spam with looped black paper to overload the offender
  • Reply 76 of 102
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

...and I do still know people who reply to fax spam with looped black paper to overload the offender

Oh that is so MEAN! I gotta try that some time.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

so do the overlords actually have a "no blinking, no audio" ad policy,

or are we inevitably due for another annoying onslaught and forced to report each offender?

The supreme overlords don't have any sort of policy at all, from what I can tell. They only block ads once we (either I or Amorph) send an official complaint to them.

So, yes, you can expect lots of future annoyances from our ad providers. Peachy.
  • Reply 78 of 102
    It's just one more way of saying, "We love you guys, thanks for reading AI. Now bend over so we can "service" you..."
  • Reply 79 of 102
    This new ad flashes non-stop! Talk about inflaming epileptic issues, ouch.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

This new ad flashes non-stop! Talk about inflaming epileptic issues, ouch.

A message requesting its removal has been dispatched to the overlords.