Your favorite ice cream flavor, please.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Maybe you could give me some tips on finding human vagina that tastes better than ice cream.

Try looking a little ways above the knees and right below the belly button. Stay real close to the middle, too.
  • Reply 102 of 137
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Baby flavor.
  • Reply 103 of 137
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

Fill a medium drink cup 2/3 full of vanilla soft-serve ice cream, then fill the rest of the cup with their Hi-C orange drink. It becomes a dreamsicle float, and is so delicious. Has anyone else ever done that?

That sounds, um, ew. The Hi-C isn't even carbonated, is it?

If liquid creamsicle is your thing...Henry Weinhard's Orange Cream, perhaps?
  • Reply 104 of 137
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Baskin-Robbins chocolate-n-peanut butter chunks.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    I have a friend who is obsessed with
    • ice cream

• crab

• chillies

He has an ice cream maker.

He made crab and chilli ice cream, and apparently it was very nice.
  • Reply 106 of 137
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

I have a friend who is obsessed withice cream
    crab
    chillies

He has an ice cream maker.

He made crab and chilli ice cream, and apparently it was very nice.

I could see that it might be good if the ice cream didn't have too much sweetening in it.

Is homemade ice cream made with sugar added, or is it just plain cream?

I've never made any, so I don't have a clue.
  • Reply 107 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

That sounds, um, ew. The Hi-C isn't even carbonated, is it?

If liquid creamsicle is your thing...Henry Weinhard's Orange Cream, perhaps?

A Dreamsicle float is not really a liquid. You have to eat it with a spoon - a lot of ice cream and a little orange per spoonful. A very thick Dreamsicle float...not a shake, nor a liquid. And it's really not even a float exactly, because it's mostly ice cream. Anyone who likes Dreamsicles would love it.

Hi-C isn't carbonated. That's why I like it for the Dreamsicle float. I've never been a particular fan of carbonation, though I do, of course, drink carbonated beverages. Not very often though. I prefer iced tea or just water.

Have you ever tasted coke syrup? It's quite tasty and 'real', whereas adding carbonation to it makes it seem fake. Hard to explain, I guess. I've always thought Coca Cola added way too much carbonation to its cans. If you've ever had a coke made at a soda fountain, with coke syrup and just the right amount of carbonation - wow - the difference is amazing.

The carbonation in soft drinks seems fake and man-managed to me, whereas the carbonation in beer seems natural and real.
  • Reply 108 of 137
    lemon. and mint.
  • Reply 109 of 137
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

IIs homemade ice cream made with sugar added, or is it just plain cream?

Ice cream is about 1/4 cup sugar per cup of liquid. The liquid is usually a mixture of whole milk and cream. All cream is not good because it churns too much butter. There are one to two egg yolks per cup of liquid. That's about it, except for the flavoring. The mixture is cooked until it thickens (about 185 - 190 degrees). The procedure is a little more involved, but should be similar to making custard.

Of course, there are many variations on the proportions of ingredients. For a good explanation, there's an article in Cook's Illustrated, July 1993 or September 2001 (or in one of their books).

Unfortunately, the price of vanilla beans has gone way up in the past year.
  • Reply 110 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

Ice cream is about 1/4 cup sugar per cup of liquid. The liquid is usually a mixture of whole milk and cream. All cream is not good because it churns too much butter. There are one to two egg yolks per cup of liquid. That's about it, except for the flavoring. The mixture is cooked until it thickens (about 185 - 190 degrees). The procedure is a little more involved, but should be similar to making custard.

Of course, there are many variations on the proportions of ingredients. For a good explanation, there's an article in Cook's Illustrated, July 1993 or September 2001 (or in one of their books).

Unfortunately, the price of vanilla beans has gone way up in the past year.

Hi Skipjack -

That's quite a lot of sugar. So that guy who made crab/chili ice cream could have left out most of the sugar and come up with an intriguing dish.

And btw, are you saying an ice cream maker could be used to churn butter? Wow, that would be interesting. The heating part would have to be turned off though, right? I would like to make some sweet butter for a chocolate mousse recipe I love. And fresh sweet butter would be fantastic with homemade French bread, which I plan to learn to bake this summer.

You've obviously made ice cream. What flavors have you liked the most? Surely you've made 'peaches and cream'? Did that turn out well?
  • Reply 111 of 137
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

And btw, are you saying an ice cream maker could be used to churn butter? Wow, that would be interesting. The heating part would have to be turned off though, right?

You've obviously made ice cream. What flavors have you liked the most? Surely you've made 'peaches and cream'? Did that turn out well?

The heating is done separately on a stove. There are also uncooked ice creams, which I hear are not as smooth.

Ice cream makers with a built in refrigeration unit seem to be more common, smaller, and less expensive (based on a quick survey on eBay). I don't know of any with heating elements, though. It is common to strain the cooked custard before putting in the ice cream maker.

Sorry, I don't know details about an ice cream maker as a butter churn. The ice cream maker churns some butter, but I don't know if it is as efficient as a butter churn. I think they work the same way. I guess I'm saying that I've never used a pure cream mixture rather than a cream and milk mixture.

I've limited my ice cream making to vanilla. I've tried strawberry and chocolate, but I think I'll stay with vanilla (served with fruit or whatever).

Although there are fancy recipies for ices with sugar syrups and beaten egg whites, it's good just to put some juice in the machine.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

you just exhibit a few characteristics

You forgot to mention frequent and outrageous flirting, to which I've happily admitted in the past, and which I fully intend to continue in the future, whenever the impulse strikes.

Flirting is great fun, in person or online.

There are different kinds of flirting (imo), including 'sleazy' flirting and light-hearted, harmless flirting.

My intention is to indulge in the latter, but NEVER the former. I HOPE that is how it comes across. Kidding around in a friendly, light-hearted way with friends of the opposite sex, online or in person, I hope would be considered pure, harmless fun - since that is how it is intended (at least by me).

Serious flirting (more commonly known as 'seduction') is a whole different ball game.

Would you agree with these points? If you disagree, and wish to trash my remarks, I hope you will do so in a pm this time. Thanks Luca.

PS What does "rescigno" mean in Italian? I'm sure it means something.

PPS - I know I should stay off the above topic, and leave well enough alone. But I seem to be constitutionally incapable of leaving well enough alone. NOT a good trait for someone whose feelings are easily hurt. Sigh.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

You forgot to mention frequent and outrageous flirting, to which I've happily admitted in the past, and which I fully intend to continue in the future, whenever the impulse strikes.

Flirting is great fun, in person or online.

There are different kinds of flirting (imo), including 'sleazy' flirting and light-hearted, harmless flirting.

My intention is to indulge in the latter, but NEVER the former. I HOPE that is how it comes across. Kidding around in a friendly, light-hearted way with friends of the opposite sex, online or in person, I hope would be considered pure, harmless fun - since that is how it is intended (at least by me).

Serious flirting (more commonly known as 'seduction') is a whole different ball game.

Would you agree with these points? If you disagree, and wish to trash my remarks, I hope you will do so in a pm this time. Thanks Luca.

Yeah, that's basically how I see it. Nothing really sleazy, otherwise you probably wouldn't still be here.

Quote:

PS What does "rescigno" mean in Italian? I'm sure it means something.

Not sure. I think it means something to the effect of "king of fire" but again, I'm not sure.

Quote:

PPS - I know I should stay off the above topic, and leave well enough alone. But I seem to be constitutionally incapable of leaving well enough alone. NOT a good trait for someone whose feelings are easily hurt. Sigh.

That's why I try to distance myself from discussions on the internet of all places. I try not to let things people say bother me. After all, you really have no idea what the people talking to you are really like. And they have no idea what I'm like, so I don't take any long-distance insults personally. At least I try not to. Sometimes it can be difficult.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You don't really need special equipment to make butter. Funny, but I still remember making butter in Elementary school. You just fill a peanut butter jar 3/4 of the way with heavy cream and shake-shake-shake. If you need to make butter in bulk, than you can use machines.
  • Reply 115 of 137
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    If I eat ice cream, which is very rare for me...I would eat Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
  • Reply 116 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

You don't really need special equipment to make butter. Funny, but I still remember making butter in Elementary school. You just fill a peanut butter jar 3/4 of the way with heavy cream and shake-shake-shake. If you need to make butter in bulk, than you can use machines.

Hi Ebby -

Yeah, I had my students make butter in a jar last year when they were studying the colonial period in social studies.

They also made johnnycakes and Indian fry bread. The butter and johnnycakes didn't go over so well, but the fry bread was a huge hit. Kids started making fry bread for their families, to be eaten as a meal, with frijoles and stuff on top. Or some made it for dessert with powdered sugar on top.

All the above projects were for extra credit; no one HAD to do it, so the ones who did really enjoyed themselves; and their parents got a kick out of it too, as I found out from the nice notes they sent.

I'll be offering the fry bread for extra credit soon, because we're starting to run out of time. I also offer extra credit if they plant spring flowers. Must look out for our lovely planet, and teach kids to create beauty in their lives.

How did your butter turn out? Did you actually consume it? In what grade did you do that?
  • Reply 117 of 137
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    chawklate is my favorite. much like "chocolate" to you out-a-towners, but it must be pronounced like a ny'r. the taste is bettered by chunks of chawklate floating about, or oreos, or anything else chawklatey added.

mint chip is also good, but without the [chawklate] chips it often loses its alure.

haven't had ice cream in a king's age though. all this talk of ice cream is making me hungry. damn you, brain! for relating reading about food to actual hunger. damn you!
  • Reply 118 of 137
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Hi Ebby -

Yeah, I had my students make butter in a jar last year when they were studying the colonial period in social studies. ... How did your butter turn out? Did you actually consume it? In what grade did you do that?

So where were you when I was going to school.8) That sounds like a cool extra credit assignment.

I would like to say I made butter in third grade but it could have been earlier. I think it tasted far better than store bought bricks. If I remember correctly it had a fluffy texture since it was kinda warm but it tasted fresher. (No salt either) For weeks I would have my own personal jar of butter in the fridge that no one could use. When I ran out I would never use store bought, I would go out, buy my own cream and make it myself. BTW, a little is great on saltine crackers.
  • Reply 119 of 137
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

chawklate is my favorite. much like "chocolate" to you out-a-towners, but it must be pronounced like a ny'r. the taste is bettered by chunks of chawklate floating about, or oreos, or anything else chawklatey added.

mint chip is also good, but without the [chawklate] chips it often loses its alure.

haven't had ice cream in a king's age though. all this talk of ice cream is making me hungry. damn you, brain! for relating reading about food to actual hunger. damn you!

Well, it's still cold where you are, right? So ice cream probably hasn't sounded as delectable to you yet, as to those of us in warmer climes. heh.

I'm in the middle of reading a bunch of travel books I bought a while back. The current one is by Peter Mayle, called French Lessons, and deals with the yummy food of France and the formidable dedication of its citizens to eating well. It's impossible to read without starting to plan menus, and daydreaming about really fine wines bought right from the vineyard...no preservatives, etc. Makes a huge difference.

So, how do they say 'chocolate' in the UK? Aren't you from there?

I have a student from England whom I plague mercilessly when he speaks (he loves it). I think I have the following sentence down pretty well (in an English accent): "The telemarketers want some water." I LOVE the way he says it. I say it whenever possible, whether it fits in the conversation or not. Actually, it never fits in ANY conversation. Oh well. Not a problem! heh.

I've made a deal with him: he's going to make a tape with oft-used phrases/sentences, spoken with his English accent, so my 6th hour class and I can begin speaking to each other that way. I think it will be great fun.... that is, when all our testing is finished. God forbid we should have fun before that.
  • Reply 120 of 137
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    I can't seem to find it anywhere but I love "tin roof sunday" mmmmmmmmmmm