The Obligatory 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread

Comments

• Reply 161 of 249
    faydrauthafaydrautha Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Go Flames Go!

Patsy Quinn showed just how classless he is by benching Ron Francis in the last game. So he is last NHL game was the 7-2 drubbing. Really Nice.

Leafs were good. Philly was better. It's time to dismantle the blue and white and start from scratch. And Moogs, you have to give Domi some credit. He was awesome. Best. Goon. Ever.

The loss was easier to take after seeing Tucker's hit in slo-mo. What's happenin' Sami Kappinen!

anyway, Go Flames Go. Bring the Cup home!!

Real men aren't named Darcy. :P
  • Reply 162 of 249
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

The loss was easier to take after seeing Tucker's hit in slo-mo. What's happenin' Sami Kappinen!

Is that clip online somewhere? I saw it live and then they never showed a replay on the local telecast here. It looked like he was hit by a truck!
  • Reply 163 of 249
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'm surprised Sammi made it to the bench at all. Concussion city, I warrant. You don't get up and stumble back to the ice three times unless you're drunk or your brain has been scrambled a bit. Was a brutal hit....
  • Reply 164 of 249
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    screw the visor, helmets should come with smelling salts. and more padding.

loved the rhymin' post. funnay!

Quote:

originally posted by InactionMan

What's happenin' Sami Kappinen!

• Reply 165 of 249
    That was pretty choice, I must admit... damn Leaf fans.

• Reply 166 of 249
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    so should we start a "Who's going to retire/get traded/fired" thread?

can't believe Burke got the shaft...

Forsberg said he wants to go back to Modo.

Can't see the Avs keeping Selanne and Kariya after their poor playoff performance.

Detroit may lose a few of their senior players to retirement, methinks.
  • Reply 167 of 249
    Well, like I said, if Foresberg goes, I think Selanne would be a logical -- though ineffective in some respects -- replacement. Who wouldn't be, filling those skates? Kariya is history. Probably Blake too if they can get rid of him without taking a big hit. The guy is just not Championship material IMO and it shows; even keeled is one thing but he has virtually no emotion.

I do think another thread is in order though... I'll start one if you guys want. Can never have too many AI hockey threads.

• Reply 168 of 249
    Well, game one of the Eastern Finals was pretty decent. TB was more on their game than I thought they might be, though you could see they didn't have their legs most of the contest. Nine days off will do that to you. Alas though, Handzus -- King of Mulletdom -- could not save the weary Flyers. Still think this one might go 7 unless Philly loses the next game.

Looking forward to the Calgary - SJ series; hopefully there's a lot of back and forth action, as both teams must be supremely confident in their goalies right about now. Should be fun!
  • Reply 169 of 249
    The Flyers played about 1 really good period of play. Half of which was in the first and half of which was in the 2nd period. For about 10 minutes in the 2nd period they were totally dominating. They had the puck in TB's zone for what seemed like an eternity.

Than...they lost it.

I really hope they don't play like they played in the 3rd period for the rest of the series or this is gonna be a short one.
  • Reply 170 of 249
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Patsy Quinn showed just how classless he is by benching Ron Francis in the last game. So he is last NHL game was the 7-2 drubbing. Really Nice.

And what a hellaciously sad end to an incredible lifetime career.
  • Reply 171 of 249
    Anyone else see the first Calgary - SJ game? Man, that is going to be a GREAT series if the first game was any indication.
  • Reply 172 of 249
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I caught bits of the Calgary game and most of the third period on... Some dynamite goaltending on Calgary's end of the rink - they'd have gone down for sure if it wasn't for Kippy. I think he took something like 50 shots that game. It was some ridiculous number anyway... On top of which I'd even say that two of San Jose's goals were essentially flukes.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 173 of 249
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Wow. I've seen 2 Philly penalties go uncalled and lead directly to goals. Go Broad Street Bullies.
  • Reply 174 of 249
    They've obviously woken up a bit. 3-0 in the first according to TSN.
  • Reply 175 of 249
    I don't think TB can come back after that drubbing. They played so poorly, got blown out, and they couldn't even save face or play with dignity at the end. Certainly, if St. Louis and Lecavalier can't find something left in the tank after two poor games, Tampa Bay's goose is cooked.
  • Reply 176 of 249
    faydrauthafaydrautha Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Wow. I've seen 2 Philly penalties go uncalled and lead directly to goals. Go Broad Street Bullies.

Did you happen to see the Tampa penalties that went uncalled as well? Ok... things seem to get called with no rhyme or reason, and not called with the same randomness. But you can't blame bad officiating for a 6-2 loss.

They got whooped from end to end, start to finish. Now they have to go to Broad Street and try to win one there. And that crowd will be far from friendly to the Bolts.

GO FLYERS!
  • Reply 177 of 249
    6-2!

That brought a tear to my eye. LETS GO FLYERS!
  • Reply 178 of 249
    Quote:

Originally posted by FaydRautha

Did you happen to see the Tampa penalties that went uncalled as well? Ok... things seem to get called with no rhyme or reason, and not called with the same randomness. But you can't blame bad officiating for a 6-2 loss.

Yes, this was definitely true as the game went on, especially TB's horrible display in the third. I know what they were trying to do, but it was a poor showing in that as well. Koharsky (sp?) missed such blatant stuff, I wonder where he was looking all night.
  • Reply 179 of 249
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Wow, what the hell is going on with Calgary?! They DOMINATED the first period. They out skated them, they're taking the body, controlling the tempo... let's hope they can keep this up.

• Reply 180 of 249
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    !!!!!

2 quick, GOOD goals and it's 4-1 Calgary. Un-frickin-believable. I don't think anyone thought they'd take the first 2 games on the road.

Go Flames!