The Obligatory 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread

Comments

• Reply 201 of 249
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I was a little worried there at the end. What a rocket by LeCavelier... perfectly placed too. Even got the water bottle for show. That guy can put some serious velocity on the puck, that's for sure. Still, I believe the power of Handzus' mullet will propel the Flyers to the Cup Finals... what happens then is anyone's guess.

• Reply 202 of 249
    MAN. Home team has lost all four games in the San Jose - Calgary series. Unreal. The Flames just had no jump at all the last couple games. I wonder if their legs are finally starting to wear down after a couple brutal series against Vancouver and Detroit? Eight power plays, one goal. Not good.
  • Reply 203 of 249
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    meh, theyll be fine. the first period was fairly even and the last was showing a strong flames team. that last goal might help boost morale for tomorrow. btw, what a stupid schedule. back to back games, no hockey night in canada. im not pleased. ah well, go flames go!
  • Reply 204 of 249
    I agree the television scheduling makes not a lot of sense, although I'm sure the NHL likes having hockey on both weekend afternoons rather than just one or the other. But no way should there be back-to-back games during the playoffs. That's just lame.
  • Reply 205 of 249
    faydrauthafaydrautha Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Uh, no. I have to agree with the others. YOU missed it. 2 minutes, not 3 games. I'm curious, do you actually watch hockey with any regularity? You know of course there's a difference between your feet coming offing the ice as a result of leaning into a guy when you hit him... and literally jumping into your opponent while at high speed.

I'm not one of the biggest Tucker fans ever -- in fact I detest the guy generally (Domi too) -- but I don't recall seeing anything that was a dirty, jump-first type hit. In fact you see that very rarely. Usually when a player gets up a head of steam and jumps into the player like that, it results in the other guy getting hurt pretty badly.

It's like getting hit by a brick wall, though obviously Tucker isn't a big guy, mass-wise. I remember in the 92 Winter Olympics one of the players from Sweden (Naslund?) charged a guy from roughly the blue line or so, left his feet as he passed by the net and slammed a Team USA guy into the glass. Blood everywhere; it was brutal. That's what usually happens when a player leaves his skates and runs someone into the boards. If in the open, it often results in a concussion.

As I recall I think the IHF or whoever the governing body was back then, gave him a game and that was it.

I do watch with regularity. I've been following the sport for some time. None of which matters when you watch a guy leave his feet to slam another guy head first into the boards. Tucker left his feet regularly when hitting. In fact I've seen more of it this year than in previous years.

Perhaps you should watch more. I've seen plenty of people get hit by jumping players and skate off the ice with only minor injuries. And then I've seen guys rammed through the glass head first and forced into retirement.

I know what I saw. Leaning in no way shape or form forces you to leave your feet. I've played hockey. I used to hit people,a lot. I never left the ice, my feet were always firmly planted when I leaned into someone.
  • Reply 206 of 249
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What a nail-biter last night. The Bolts had that game in hand and lost their focus. They were a little lucky given how quickly they gave up those 2 goals, but they did recover well enough in the end I guess. The Flyers were *really* sloppy in their zone for the first half. I mean, how many times can you make a pass that lands directly on a TB player's stick -- a player who is in the slot -- and get away with it? Of course, then the Bolts got sloppy right after that third goal: not blocking, not taking sticks, etc.

Strange how Philly can dominate physically one game then chase the Bolt splayers aroung the next. Primeau did his damndest to win though, except for the penalty he took when TB scored. I guess that's how Tampa can neutralize him -- keep him off the ice. He's close to willing his team on, like Iginla in San Jose -- er, I mean in Calgary.

Think Tampa Bay can close it out in Philly? I think it will go to seven games actually. Same for the Sharks-Flames series. That one is really a toss up the way the teams don't show up for their home games. San Jose should win based on merit of their roster, but who can cheer against the feel-good Flames?
  • Reply 207 of 249
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm totally psyched for tonight's game. I have a good feeling that the Flames will pull it out. The last time they were up 3-2 with a chance to close out the series was against the Red Wings, and they pulled it off.

I'll be decked out in my Flames garb, and of course so will the kids. I also got a Kiprusoff haircut the other day, so I'm fully ready.

My 3 year old cheers more than I do at games, it's pretty hilarious. I ran upstairs last night for a minute, and could hear her yelling at the TV "Go Medicine Hat!! Go Medicine Hat!! Yaaayy!!"

(and it worked, Tigers beat the Guelph Storm 2-1 at the Memorial Cup) heh heh
  • Reply 208 of 249
    Whoa, Sutter called up Bubbles today. Bringing in a goon... going to be a rough one.

• Reply 209 of 249
    I hate that stuff. But I like the pic.
  • Reply 210 of 249

That is classic.

Fayd: let me ask you this way... when you saw Tucker do whatever it was you feel worthy of three game suspensions... how much distance was between himself and the player he hit when his skates (one, or both?) left the ice?

Whether your skates lift off the ice a little when you slam into someone is really a function of your speed and weight distribution. I see players' feet come off the ice momentarily all the time when laying a big hit on someone... again, it's not the same as jumping into your opponent.

If you can find some TSN clips or something that show this, I'll go along with what you're saying about it being dangerous, but I think you're overreacting.

Meantime, I hope the Flames figure out a way to win at home tonight!
  • Reply 211 of 249
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    The Flames all shacked up in a hotel in Calgary last night so they'll think they are still on the road.

They'll prolly lose anyway.
  • Reply 212 of 249
    Pro-ba-bly.

*ahem*

Flames looked GREAT in the first period, and they're up 1-0. Simon hit the post, and they had a few other really good chances. Could have been 3-0.

First goal has basically meant victory in this series. Let's hope it holds true tonight.

Go Flames!

• Reply 213 of 249
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    But Prolly is one less letter! It'll make my keyboard last longer.
  • Reply 214 of 249
    If that were almost anyone but simon, it wouldn't have hit the post. Great job slipping in on the give-n-go though. Calgary had a GREAt period. San Jose might wake up in a big way about 10 minutes into the second. I got a feeling, and they have to or else.
  • Reply 215 of 249
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    I'm starting to lose faith in my Flyers

I think we'll win in Philly but I'm not sure about Game 7. It is probably inevitable that we lose anyway because of the "Curse of William Penn".

William Penn founded Pennsylvania (Penn's Woods) and a statue of him has sat on top of Philadelphia's city hall for many years. It was the tallest building in the city until in the mid 80s when they finally started building skyscrapers here. It was also in the mid 80s that all of our teams STOPPED winning any championships. No Philadelphia team has won a championship since Penn was on the tallest building in the city.

If I were the Mayor, I'd rip him down from city hall and stick him on One Libery Place (the current tallest building here). But thats probably why I'd never get voted in as Mayor.

But thats ok....TB isn't going to win the cup no matter what. Since the league expanded in the 60s no team that beat the Canadians in the playoff went on to win the cup (unless they actually beat them in the finals). So if you believe in any of this stuff, TB is shit out of luck too.
  • Reply 216 of 249
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Flames are 20 min from a Cup date... up 2-1 after 2
  • Reply 217 of 249
    Going to be a fun third period. Was surprised to see McCauly only has 2 playoff goals... was clutch though.
  • Reply 218 of 249
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Flames WIN!!!

and was that a last second OWN GOAL by SJ?
  • Reply 219 of 249
    Holy Crap! Bring the Cup back to Canada!
  • Reply 220 of 249
    <Buon fires off tear gas into the crowd>

Sorry, mod's duty. Don't need you guys turning over cars and smashing windows.