Apple needs to update iPod to stay on top?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    hell, the wait from Apple is 4 weeks, the things arent new, theyve been out for 5+ months now, for pitty sake apple get it together.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

Last I checked they already have this.... its called the iPod Mini.

MacAddict16

That's what I was referring to. I was responding to someone else saying they needed an entry level iPod.
  • Reply 43 of 87
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I know that apple said they are not doing a phone. I am pointing out that phones and mp3 players are converging. Soon enough apple's prime competitors will be phones with mp3 players.

If you look at the ipod logic it is fitting into cars seamlessly. If you ipod/iphone your bmw then the steering wheel control will be all the more usefull. Add to the functionality a bluetooth wireless mic and it could work. Apple likes the car because that's a good place to listen to your music. Video I think is out for now from the ipod until the new quicktime codec comes out.

I think that feature creap is something that all appliances get anyway. With this logic we all would still be on

apple II+'s and the command line interface.

The ipod must evolve. Yes it commands a huge part of the market but that is where it is today. Tomorrow's ipod should be able to do more or another well designed unit will.

Maybe with the mini, but definitely not with daddy iPods... Cell phones would have to incorporate WMA or AAC... and a HD bigger than 20gigs... So now you need a battery to be able to pump the cellphone for 24 hours+ and a music player... not going to happen... if it does that would be one hefty 1987 motorola mobile phone.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

yeah but before ipod 4g comes out, it might help if the ipod mini is actually widely availible in all of the major channels....i mean best buy doesn't even have them?!?!?!?!

Can't even buy them at the Apple Developer Store... very sad. I had a buddy come here from UK that works for apple and he couldn't even get an iPod mini at Apple HQ when we were all taken there for WWDC... even more sad eh?
  • Reply 45 of 87
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Hello everyone. I apologize if I post this in the wrong spot..

I believe that the "Swiss Army Knife" approach will be a must, as long as it's technologically feasible. I now carry a cell phone, along with my wallet and keys, with me where ever I go. I am not sure if I know anyone who doesn't have a cell phone these days. My point is, it seems to me an issue of the lifestyle, and size of product... If you can replace one's keys, wallet, &/or cell phone, with your product, then you have a market. If not, it seems to me that you may only have a temporary market (Because, someone else will combine them), or perhaps you should target the portable computer size device? If iPods & car stereos could connect through some wireless connection, that helps... but then, it's only a matter of time before another magical device does all that, and more.. and so on.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    sneakysneaky Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glassblowerscat

[B]I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I get tired of talking about what Apple needs to do. I'd be more interested in figuring out what they're going to do.

I second that.

These articles that come out on a weekly basis, talking about the next ipod killer, need to stop. First off, they're boring to read as all they talk about is how Apple needs to inovate to stay on top. Well, no crap Sherlock (I'm saying this to the "reporters" of the world). Of course they are making the thing better as we speak.

Next. I agree with the "Home on iPod" thing. This is such a great idea. I just wonder how Apple is planning to secure the directory in case it gets stolen or lost.

As for the video...this is such a badly beaten horse. Other than the first ten minutes of coolness, video will not be something people use. If it were true, people would be watching movies on their PDA's. Obviously this isn't happening.

The battery life is just fine for 95% of ipod users. I find it hard to believe that you don't have a outlet nearby to charge up if things get low anyway. Unless you're in the woods for the weekend that is. Then again, if you're in the woods, shouldn't you be checking things out instead of listen to your ipod all weekend?

I vote to ban all future iPod Killer articles and also to delete the video post. Just tired of the same old story.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sneaky

Next. I agree with the "Home on iPod" thing. This is such a great idea. I just wonder how Apple is planning to secure the directory in case it gets stolen or lost.

FileVault?
  • Reply 48 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

FileVault?

Why not, but it would be rather difficult to figure out a way to enter a password on the iPod. Maybe a metaphore of a vault's code wheel. That would be ok. Come up with a 5 or 6 number code and explain the customers that it's 10 or 100 times safer than their Visa cards, and that should be ok.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    I was more thinking at some point you need to plug it into a computer and when it does it can request the password then, which is the only time you'd need it for Home on iPod. Otherwise it just has the same security as now.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Is wireless iPod possible? Transfer files using Airport. What about Bluetooth? Is it too slow for file transter?
  • Reply 51 of 87
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Why not, but it would be rather difficult to figure out a way to enter a password on the iPod. Maybe a metaphore of a vault's code wheel. That would be ok. Come up with a 5 or 6 number code and explain the customers that it's 10 or 100 times safer than their Visa cards, and that should be ok.

You don't need to enter your password on the iPod, because the "pod" is just a storage device. You'd try to actually access the data from a computer, and you can enter the password there.

Obviously some things (your music!) would be accessible from the iPod, but music is not normally a security or privacy concern.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    I can only speak for me and many of my fellow college students: Longer Battery Life and Lower Prices (+ better ear plugs) are the most important elements. "Home on IPod" would be cool, but what about PCs? Everything else is too expensive and too much swiss-knife (for now). Things like iPhone are nice fantasies but what you are aiming for is the mp3-player market. Mayb make some of the most popular third-party accessoires available through the apple store (or Apple copies of them) but that should be it. The iPodMini (without any of the accessoires) is a small $300 where i live and the 20GB iPod $500. That's the same amount as a more or less decent home cinema system, and only the wealthiest of my friends can afford it.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by sneaky

As for the video...this is such a badly beaten horse. Other than the first ten minutes of coolness, video will not be something people use. If it were true, people would be watching movies on their PDA's. Obviously this isn't happening.

I believe video on the iPod can be a pretty neat thing. Have you seen or read about those Archos video recorders?

I personally would love to plug my iPod to my TV, record Futurama or whatever and watch it on the go. Load your iPhoto gallery and you've got a pretty neat device. You can then hook it up to any TV or watch it right there on the palm of your hand. Bring your iMovies with you, etc.

I think iPod has got to get there. It's already been done. Apple just needs to make it even better.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

"Home on IPod" would be cool, but what about PCs?

Yeah, what about the PCs? I think they could well go back to the model of the original iPod: Mac users only.

The Home on iPod feature could just be like having the file structure right there on a portable firewire hard drive. But as was pointed out above by Telomar:

Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

"Filevault?

Filevault. More importantly, think of the iApps. I think if the Home on iPod feature actually gets implemented, data will only be available through the iApps.

It would have to be true for music, because they're not going to start letting you access your music through any other interface; the music companies would be outraged. It would probably be true for photos with iPhoto. For one thing, I'd rather access my images through iPhoto than any other way. Movies? who knows? I haven't got it all worked out yet.

But I think it's probable that Home on iPod would make some use of the iApps or the built-in Mac structure. If they could manage to port that ability over to PCs somehow, that might be good. But if it turns out to be a draw, maybe they should keep it with the Mac... just one more way the Mac as a lifestyle could become more and more attractive.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    I know a lot of people who use iPods as USB drives for PCs instead of those keyring things. Ok you wouldn't have the easy plug in to any comp and function like Home on iPod would provide but that's MS fault not Apple's. Microsoft needs to provide that at their end.

As for video I really fail to see the point unless you are making it so you can play it back on a larger set. Small screens for video just annoy me.

I don't really understand photos either but given how every female I know carries a purse full of photos I can appreciate people might want that feature and it'd be easy to provide if you added a colour screen.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    The current iPods are as close to a perfect device as I've ever encountered.

Apple would be making a grave mistake if they start tacking on every 'essential' feature someone would want. Any moves to incorporate features outside the scope of the current iPod's should be done with some new or sister product line that has no way of damaging the core iPod brand.

Apple is already easily beating out other players, while not even being able to manufacture enough units, who are trying compete by having the most number of features.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

You don't need to enter your password on the iPod, because the "pod" is just a storage device. You'd try to actually access the data from a computer, and you can enter the password there.

Obviously some things (your music!) would be accessible from the iPod, but music is not normally a security or privacy concern.

But what if one day it replaces things like your keys, credit card, etc... Then you'd need protection right on the pod. That's what I was talking about, but obviously, I went a little off-topic!
  • Reply 58 of 87
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

But what if one day it replaces things like your keys, credit card, etc... Then you'd need protection right on the pod. That's what I was talking about, but obviously, I went a little off-topic!

By then (assuming that anyone actually wants this) there might be better security options, such as retina scanning and/or fingertip scanning and/or voice recognition, which in combination would be more foolproof without visibly complicating the interface.

And until that can happen, the iPod can't really function as a transparent "digital wallet" or a skeleton key.

The basic problem is the problem with the Swiss Army Knife paradigm generally: the interface: Either you have an impenetrable wall-of-buttons interface that makes the use of any feature confusing, or (more commonly) you have some subset of the device's capabilities buried somewhere beyond the obvious expressive capabilities of the interface, in which case they'd might as well not be there at all. The latter reason is why most VCRs flash 12:00: It's not that people are stupid, it's that the task of navigating to the "set the time" function buried in a complicated options hierarchy with three ambiguously labeled buttons flunks the cost/benefit analysis run by 99% of the population. (If you need the time told in that room, dedicated clocks are cheap, and they're much easier to set.) Any other device which wishes to shoehorn a lot of capabilities into a small device (with a necessarily simplified physical interface) faces the same problem.

I've seen any number of people flummoxed by the little debit/credit machines in the local supermarkets. These people are not going to use a wheel to enter a code so they can point a relatively large device at a door to open it when they could just pull out a key or use the "unlock" button on their car remote.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

To keep the iPod on the top, Apple needs to:

1. Shave off one or two more ounces from the regular iPod and the mini

2. Increase the buffer to 64MB for better playback of audio books

3. Increase battery life to 15-20 hours

4. Reduce cost and make an entry-level $150-$200 iPod

5. Larger capacity hard drives

6. Add a mic for use as a dictaphone

7. Higher quality inner-ear headphones

8. Support Ogg Vorbis playback

9. Launch an iPod SDK

10. OLED color screen

11. MPEG4 playback, H.264, with a mini s-video out port

12. Built-in Airport extreme with Rendezvous

13. AM/FM tuner

14. Bluetooth

Apple's grade:

12 or more -- A

9-11 -- B

6-8 -- C

3-5 -- D

less than 3 -- F

Think Secret is reporting new iPods for August. So far, from what Think Secret is reporting, Apple only gets 2 points. Apple will be hard-pressed keeping the iPod on top if it's only sleeker, comes in colors, and has incrementally larger hard drives but has no additional new features.

However, there's probably more to the iPod update than Think Secret is reporting (they are usually very conservative).
  • Reply 60 of 87
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

2. Increase the buffer to 64MB for better playback of audio books

I don't think that's necessary... 32MB should be plenty, but I agree they definitely need to change the way they cache audio books... they skip way too much with even the slightest jaring.